Rules for Tournament Play

By brassbgeek, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Does anybody know if there are going to be rules put out for tournament play? I haven't seen anything anywhere as of yet.

Some people may not think it would be absolutely necessary, but I feel there are a few things that would at least need to be clarified when tournaments start. Like, how the terrain/deployment card/objective card pools are created between players (since most players will have their own set, and even expansions that other players don't have). As well as standard, "how long is a round?" type of deal and things like that.

Not out yet. But, all your points are valid.

Just my recommendation but many miniatures games I have played in have done pre-set boards. Where everyone plays on the same field. I think this would work well in this game too.

On another note, I would be interested to know scoring as that has always been an issue with many of the LCG tournaments I have played in and would you allow order vs. order matches or would you force them to be on opposing sides? I do agree with your original claim, A tournament FAQ would be nice.

I know they had preset boards for mini's games, but I don't think they would do that for this, mostly because of how the game mechanics work. If the board were preset, then the player who didn't have initiative would be at a severe disadvantage, being that the only benefit the second player gets is the "home field" advantage of choosing both scenario and initial terrain setup.

Of course, it is certainly a possibility :3

I know they had preset boards for mini's games, but I don't think they would do that for this, mostly because of how the game mechanics work. If the board were preset, then the player who didn't have initiative would be at a severe disadvantage, being that the only benefit the second player gets is the "home field" advantage of choosing both scenario and initial terrain setup.

Of course, it is certainly a possibility :3

This takes away one of the advantages but it also takes away the advantage of the other player getting to pick and place the 2nd and 4th pieces of terrain. I do not believe it will have a big impact on tournament play. You would, theoretically be dealing with players who are playing on a higher level then the casual player where an advantage like picking first terrain would have a major impact on play.

There is actually a lot of strategy to picking terrain in this game. And having 1st and 3rd pick can be pretty big when you think about it. All they way from, what do you NOT want your opponent to place to whether or not you want to play the defensive game or the offensive game. Whether you want to give yourself some cover to advance, or give yourself high ground so that your opponent can't have any cover at all. Terrain placement in this particular game is just as much a part of the game as the game itself.

In the mini's game the terrain didn't matter as much. In fact, not having terrain at all in the mini's game wasn't much different from having the recommended amounts of terrain (unless there was a river. Rivers changed the game, but not really anything else)

Every game of diskwars I've played so far, the terrain has had a significan't role in how the game was played for each player.

But as I said before, you could be right. I am of the mindset however that the terrain is as important as any other choice or factor in this game :3