question regarding tomb of ice.

By Danger1986, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

First i wanna say i love descent. Biggest boargame ive ever seen, also the most immersive.

My question is, and it's probably silly, but, do i need road to legend to play the quests provided with tomb of ice?

Danger1986 said:

First i wanna say i love descent. Biggest boargame ive ever seen, also the most immersive.

My question is, and it's probably silly, but, do i need road to legend to play the quests provided with tomb of ice?

Nope. Road to Legend introduces a campaign aspect to the normal game. ToI is a basic expansion, much like Well of Darkness or Altar of Despair. You don't need RtL to be able to play ToI.

Not all. As a matter of fact, you don't need anything but the core game to play ToI, although I strongly recommend getting the other base game expansions as well (Well of Darkness and Altar of Depair)

Road to Legend is really its own beast, and you only need the base game to play it but again strongly recommend getting the expansions as well to add into it. ToI is the first expansion to come out after RtL was released, so it has some RtL stuff included in it but they are extras and don't factor into the Quests that come with the game.

There are a couple of small RtL dungeons (on their own cards, as is the RtL way), but you don't need RtL to play the quests at the back of the book. FFG is good about not making expansions interdependent, which is a wise move I think (if sometimes persoanlly frustrating since I get everything anyway.)

Probably the coolest thing about FFG's expansions is they tend to almost always be stand-alone, and that is the case for Descent's expansions. You do *not* need to buy any of the previous expansions to use Tomb Of Ice (and the same is true about the other expansions). As Remy pointed out, there are good reasons to get the other expansions, but they definately are not required.

-shnar

As a slight side track : the RtL dungeons in ToI seem to be much more challenging for the heros than standard RtL dungeons. At least my heros have learned to dread them. And for a good reason, I guess.

Tomb of Ice was my first expansion. I started with that one since I had read that the feats really give the heroes a leg up. And they certainly do.

Well of Darkness should get here in a couple of days. :)

I love this game, but I really wish we could get an updated quest editor. I'd tackle the job myself but I just don't have the time.

thanks for the feedback guys. yeah ive got the core set and altar of despair. only problem i can find is the blood ape minis dont stand up properly. their base is too small. love the game otherwise. the reason i asked is because ToI looks awesome, but i dont want RtL because it seems to take it in a direction i dont really want to go.

Danger1986 said:

thanks for the feedback guys. yeah ive got the core set and altar of despair. only problem i can find is the blood ape minis dont stand up properly. their base is too small. love the game otherwise. the reason i asked is because ToI looks awesome, but i dont want RtL because it seems to take it in a direction i dont really want to go.

Yeah, the blood ape minis are not the best designed minis. I try to get them to rest on that hand they have down.

Veinman said:

I love this game, but I really wish we could get an updated quest editor. I'd tackle the job myself but I just don't have the time.

There's a program called Tile System, originally designed for use with Doom TBG, but fortunately the programmer had the foresight to make it easy for other users toa dd their own content. I'm 80% certain I have a Descent tileset. Since the program is freeware, I'd be happy to send it along with the tileset if you want. It's also super easy to add future expansions to the tileset as you go. The only thing it can't do that the other editor does is the text portion of the quest, but frankly I think a text file will serve that purpose well enough.

I'd love to take a look at it. Do you have a link, or does it need to be emailed to me directly? I haven't looked to see if this forum has a PM function...

I found it on my own, thanks for telling me about it. Do you have an updated tileset that includes Tomb of Ice?

Veinman said:

I found it on my own, thanks for telling me about it. Do you have an updated tileset that includes Tomb of Ice?

I haven't put in ToI yet, but I'm pretty sure I have WoD and AoD in there (I'd have to double check about RtL too, now that I think about it.)

The tileset on bgg has everything through AoD.