Sith Holocron

By Rogue 4, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

Does anyone else think this card never should have been made? Two words: Black Lotus (for Sith). Just curious what your opinions are.

ffg_sith-holocron-escape-from-hoth-66-5.

You are not the first to call this a Black Lotus for Sith. It was spoiled early on, and it hasn't stopped since. I think that it is actually the best card in the set. The set as a whole it really well built, but that is obviously the stand out.

This conversation was had here , when Sith Holocron was first spoiled.

Yes, Sith Holocron is a very good card. Yes, it in a way provides a one-time boost of three resources with no resource investment. But that does not make it a Black Lotus, and it's much worse in Star Wars than Black Lotus is in Magic. For one thing, you start with at minimum 4 resources available to you instead of zero. For another, cards in hand are a much more valuable resource in Star Wars than in Magic due to the edge battle mechanic.

So no, I don't really think Sith Holocron is a power level mistake, any more so than say Endless Reserves or Admiral's Orders are. It's a good card that has synergy with the rest of it's objective set, that's all.

So no, I don't really think Sith Holocron is a power level mistake, any more so than say Endless Reserves or Admiral's Orders are. It's a good card that has synergy with the rest of it's objective set, that's all.

This card is the best card in the set (in a set that has all playable cards), and comparing it to those two cards is silly. Endless Reserves is in a set that is wonky with no units and it only reduces any card by 1; Admiral's Orders only affects capital ships. Holocron you obviously play in a Sith deck, and its going to discount many more cards than AO (and more playable ones at that). Its also good at tricks. Have a force lightning in hand but you're focused out? Well looks like you're still playing it. Your opponent is killing your resources with Han/Saboteur? It doesn't matter - you're still playing your big stuff! The disadvantage of losing cards in your hand could be said about anything, but this is a Sith deck staple you're talking about - Sith has more hand advantage than any other affiliation, and its not going to hurt you.

I don't think the set is broken per say, but comparing it to trash is silly. So many games won with first or second turn Holocron and Vader/Palpatine/Executor...

I don't think the set is broken per say, but comparing it to trash is silly. So many games won with first or second turn Holocron and Vader/Palpatine/Executor...

It's true a first turn Palpy from holocron and second turn vader can be brutal.

The nice weakness this card has is to fully use it's ability on units you need to be playing a card that costs 3 or more, meaning whatever unit you bring into play vulnerable to sleuths/blockade runners. Not to S&S tom-foolery balences the sith holocron but it provides it a weakness.

What really seals it for me is that it completly covers the cost of most (all?) sith events. With the other factions if resources are held back based on their pods you can generally know what they are held back for. With this on the board. All of the sudden, desolation of hoth, force lightning, and force shockwave become a lot less predicatble. So in that case this card really becomes a win-win. Opponent is playing a unit heavy swarm deck, run your big wigs and tactics out the board with palpy. They are running sleuths you can use your resources to play all the weenies you get as back up, big guys as edge fodder and use the holocron to have an ever present threat of force lightning. Right now it's hard not to include this set in a Sith deck, it just provides so many boons.

If the Holocron would have a cost of 2 or maybe even 3, it would rather be a storage for resources, thus balancing it more because the resource acceleration isnt too fast in comparision.

What I've found with this card is that players, more often than not, want to use this cards on the game winning cards that cost 3+, but those aren't always the cards you get. I've had the holocron sit on my table for round after round while I waited for a useful 3+ card to come up because I didn't want to waste the available resources. It's a powerful card, yes, but it forces play errors and causes a rush of big units that even a poor LS deck could counter with some well placed tactics icons. And, you can only have 2 in a 50 card deck. Seems okay to me.

Edited by OhBee