Favorite Horror Movie

By PearlJamaholic, in CoC Off Topic

i figure a thread about horror movies isnt too far off base. interested to see what people list as their favorite. mine probably has to be the old classic night of the living dead. it might lack the gore and shock of most horror but something in the story makes up for it. its about the only horror movie that is kinda scary even after seeing it many times, atleast to me. and the ending of movie just seals the deal.

Hmm, that's difficult. I don't have a definite favorite Horror movie that neatly fits into the genre, I think.

Alien has been my favorite movie across all genres for a long time. I've heard it's been called 'Sci-Fi-Horror', so maybe it counts.

Other 'Sci-Fi-Horror' movies I've enjoyed include Event Horizon and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (with Donald Sutherland).

Among the more traditional Horror movies I liked A Nightmare on Elm Street , Hellraiser , and Scream . In all three cases none of the sequels were even remotely as good as the first one.

More recent Horror movies I liked were 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later . Finally a sequel that is as good (albeit in different ways) as the first one!

Two other movies I found quite disturbing: The Dark Hours and Audition (directed by Takashi Miike).

Finally, I'd like to mention an old favorite: The Hunger . However, although it's about vampires, it cannot really be called a Horror movie.

P.S.: Isn't it a pity that there isn't a single good movie about the Mythos or Lovecraft's stories yet? Or rather: Does anyone know of a good one? Maybe I just missed the good ones so far?

My Top Ten list of movies has been virtually unchanged in years, and it is mostly horror movies or movies of an occult nature. I'll just list the whole list:

1) Bram Stoker's Dracula

2) The Ninth Gate

3) The Craft

4) Ghostbusters

5) The Devil's Advocate

6) Aliens

7) Poltergeist

8) Rosemary's Baby

9) In the Mouth of Madness

10) Event Horizon

In addition to my list I've always been partial to the Candyman series and the Nightmare on Elm Street series. Never much cared for Friday , tho. The film version of Dunwich Horror is freakin' awesome too.

Well, let's see. Can't narrow it down to a favorate, but have my list.

1) Dawn of the Dead (original)

2) Jaws (maybe not a horror film, but scary as hell)

3) Psycho

4) Creature from the Black Lagoon

5 and 6) The Thing (both versions)

7) Evil Dead 2

8) Re-Animator

9) Zombi

10) Halloween

As for Lovecraft, check out The Call of Cthulhu by the HPLHS. As it's an attempt to look like a version made during Lovecraft's times, it might be more of a curiosity than an actual film. However, it's pretty good at capturing the spirit of Lovecraft's work.

Big Mac said:

Well, let's see. Can't narrow it down to a favorate, but have my list.

1) Dawn of the Dead (original)

2) Jaws (maybe not a horror film, but scary as hell)

3) Psycho

4) Creature from the Black Lagoon

5 and 6) The Thing (both versions)

7) Evil Dead 2

8) Re-Animator

9) Zombi

10) Halloween

As for Lovecraft, check out The Call of Cthulhu by the HPLHS. As it's an attempt to look like a version made during Lovecraft's times, it might be more of a curiosity than an actual film. However, it's pretty good at capturing the spirit of Lovecraft's work.

isnt zombi dawn of the dead??? i thought zombi was the european cut of the movie that argento edited.

In no particular order:

The Ring

The Exorcist (1 and 3)

Alien

Poltergeist

Seventh Sign

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)

Halloween (Original)

Saw 1

There are others, just can't think too straight right now.

PearlJamaholic said:

isnt zombi dawn of the dead??? i thought zombi was the european cut of the movie that argento edited.

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to Fulci's Zombi 2, the unofficial sequal to Dawn of the Dead/Zombi. When it hit the theaters here, it was called Zombie. Should have added the "2" after it.

Some of my top horror films have to be:

The Descent

The Exorcist

28 Days Later

The Shining

Misery

The Fly

Here are some of the horror films I like:

1. H P Lovecraft's Necronomicon: To Hell and Back

2. Humanoids from the Deep

3. Devour

4. The House on Sorority Row

5. The People Under the Stairs

6. Bram Stoker's Dracula

7. Sleepwalkers

8. May

9. Children of the Corn

10. Hell Night

There is no specific order to them though.

Hmm. Always a tough question. If I had to list my favs, in no particular order (they're too close to my heart to rate individually):

Exorcist: Director's Cut

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)

Night of the Living Dead x 2 (Original and the 1997 remake; 1997 is a better movie imo but the ending of the original is MUCH better)

Aliens

Jaws (the first movie to REALLY traumatize me as a kid)

The Ring

Dawn of the Dead (Remake)

Last House on the Left (Original)

I love the old slasher franchises, but they lost me in the late 80's when they spiraled into general nonsense. I like what Rob Zombie attempted to do with Halloween and I've got high hopes for the new Nightmare on Elm Street starring Rorschach. gran_risa.gif

To be somewhat topical, I've always really enjoyed the Dagon movie.

I also just watched a little something called Seventh Moon that was quite good. I'd have to watch it again before deciding whether it deserves a place of honor.

In no particular order:

Alien (Scott)

Zombi 2 (Fulci)

The dawn of the dead (Romero)

The blair witch project (Myrick/Sánchez)

Begotten (Merhige)

The exorcist (Friedkin)

Evil dead (Raimi)

My personal top twenty, alphabetically listed;

Alien
The Blair Witch Project
Carnival of Souls
Dawn of the Dead
The Evil Dead
The Exorcist
Halloween
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Last Broadcast
My Little Eye
Night of the Living Dead
Paranormal Activity
Psycho
Ringu
Rosemary's Baby
Session 9
The Shining
Shivers
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Thing

demonio.gif

• 1.In the Mouth of Madness
  • 1.Dagon
  • 1.Return of the Living Dead
  • 1.Return of the Living Dead 3
  • 1.Dawn of the Dead (original!)
  • 1.Day of the Dead
  • 1.The Thing (Carpenter's original remake of The Thing from Another World)
  • 1.Hellraiser

What? I can number them any way I like! They're all great.

1. The Thing

2. The Exorcist

3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre- original

4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) with Jessica Beal

mine would be lair of the white worm

Its good to see some people with good taste in horror, there is so much crap out now n days, i mean just becuse the genre is horror does not mean quality should be sacrificed. Anyway here are some of mine, not in order though.

1. The Thing (like them all)

2. Exorcist 1

3. Exorcist 3

4. Nightmare on Elm Street

5. Nosferatu (both versions)

6. Evil Dead 2 (all good but 2nd is best)

7. High Tension

8. Rec

9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

10. American Werewolf in London (Paris blew)

John Carpenter's the Thing

Pumpkinhead

Nightbreed

Freddy vs Jason

In the Mouth of Madness

Dagon

the Hallow

Tremors movie series

the Burrowers

From Beyond

the Deadly Spawn

Critters