A better grapple

By Naviward, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Slightly late I know, but the grapple system has always left me cold, especially as players can use it to lock down opponents (especially strong ones with poor dodges), without the character being able to do much back (at least DH2 allows half action full auto/lightning attacks so there are some options after breaking out of the grapple).

So as a starter, how about the following:-

• Keep starting a grapple the same.
  • Keep the actions for the person in control of the grapple the same.
  • Add the following options to a character that is already grappled:

When grappled, the character may continue to use reactions but must first pass an opposed strength check against each other character currently grappling them or lose the reaction for no benefit.

When grappled, the character may take actions as normal on their turn (as long as the actions do not have the movement subtype), but must first pass an opposed strength check against each other character currently grappling them or lose the action for no benefit.

When grappled, the character may, as a full action, move a number of metres up to half their agility bonus, but must first pass an opposed strength check against each other character currently grappling them.

This way reactions are not totally locked down and more options are available to the character, if they want to risk it rather than breaking free entirely.

Edited by Naviward

I'd have so much fun with that, when players grappled monsters and then got dragged to their death off of cliffs.

Always run your games beside kilometre high falls. Hilarious

I'd have so much fun with that, when players grappled monsters and then got dragged to their death off of cliffs.

Always run your games beside kilometre high falls. Hilarious

Hehe, exactly. I wanted the grappled state to be more flexible that just 'escape it, take over or do nothing'.

I totally imagined a space marine with a frail adept hanging off his leg. Don't think the space marine would be too worried by that.