Several Rules Questions

By cns917, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Hello, never played diskwars before this iteration, so my background knowledge is null. Forgive me if these answers are clear in the rulebook, but I couldn't find them.

1. Deployment zones, specifically the Rendezvous card. My question is basically if deployment zones are capped at their deployment value for the entirity of the game. For example, Rendezvous gives you a deployment value of 1. Activation tokens are not placed on disks reinforced in this zone. So, when I deploy at the start of the game, I can only place 1 disk in that zone. On my turn, how many disks can I reinforce into that zone? Can I deploy everything left in my reserve, or do I have to move my one deployed disk out, and then deploy a new disk? Or, can I only deploy 1 disk at a time in that zone?

2. "Caster" cards. When a card says "caster" at the bottom, does that mean I have to activate a caster with that card, or are they separate effects. Let's say I have "Fists of Mork" which reads, "Caster: Deal d6-2 magic damage to target disk within medium range, and to to each disk within short range of the target disk." It has an activation value of 3. So, do I have to use one of the 3 activations to activate a caster, and then use that effect? Or can I activate three disks (Not including a caster) and then use the effect of the card?

3. Siege Weapons. Can they scatter?

4. Terrain pieces and overlaps. Lets say that I have the Gully terrain piece out, which has the dangerous characteristic. And I have a disk sitting on that terrain piece, but there is a portion of the disk that hangs over the edge of the gully. Now, lets say that my opponent wants to attack that disk which is partially overlapping the Gully. Can my opponent pin my disk flipping his disk on top of the portion of my disk that is not on top of the gully, and thus avoid the "dangerous" damage?

1. Deployment just happens at the beginning of the game. When you bring disks in after the game starts, it is reinforcing. A the beginning of the game, you deploy a number of disks equal to the deployment zone value. This number has currently no other function in the game and can be forgotten once the game starts. In your turn you can use any number of activations to reinforce disks from your reserve to bring a disk in any of your deployment zones (the All-in deployment zone being the exception). You can activate once to bring one disk, twice to bring two and so on.

2. You don't have to activate the Caster. Those are separate effects. The Caster can even be pinned or already previously activated and can still be used to trigger the battle ability in a command card such Fists of Mork.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

For 2, I don't think this is correct, page 7 in the rulebook, in the box on command card abilities says it can be used once before or after using the command card to activate the disk, but this presumes that you are using that command card to activate the hero disk, so no, I don't think you can use that ability if pinned.

PS

I don't mean to sound contrary, so if I'm wrong, just let me know where I can find it in the rulebook. :-)

Edited by dkartzinel

For 2, I don't think this is correct, page 7 in the rulebook, in the box on command card abilities says it can be used once before or after using the command card to activate the disk, but this presumes that you are using that command card to activate the hero disk, so no, I don't think you can use that ability if pinned.

PS

I don't mean to sound contrary, so if I'm wrong, just let me know where I can find it in the rulebook. :-)

The exact wording on page 7 reads "A battle ability is optional and can only be used once, before or after using that command card to activate a disk." This implies that any disk can use the ability whether activated or not, and the later statement that "Disks using battle abilities do not have to activate to perform the ability, and can even use it while pinned." supports this. Otherwise a pinned or activated disk couldn't use the ability at all, as both conditions prevent you from activating said disk.

I can understand the confusion on that particular point, and it's one of the items in the game I'm looking forward to the FAQ for.

This is great news! I've never been so happy to be wrong. That makes battle abilities, especially some of the caster ones, way more awesome and more cinematic (a caster fighting some battle while using magic to pulverize someone is particularly appealing).

The Battle Abilitys have some really nice effects. With the limited play I have had so far, there has been some suprising and welcome combos arisen from various sources. One minute you're thinking how can I get out of this, the next you're saying "watch this!"...... :lol:

When siege weapons scatter, does the hit on critical only rule still apply?

I have been playing under the assuption that it does not since the rules for scatter is to treat dice results as normal. Also from a thematic standpoint I would think that regular hits should apply on a scatter because it is hard to hit a specific target with a seige weapon, but it isn't particularly hard to hit something near your target.

Still only hits on a critical hit. Scatter says to resolve the die against the nearest disk (ignore further scatter). It still is an attack from Siege Range therefore regular hits get ignored.