Weak archers and desperate ploy

By blkdymnd, in BattleLore

The desperate ploy command card says weak units may use the single sword as damage. It doesn't technically restrict it to weak melee units, would that open it up to weak archers being able to use a single sword as damage with desperate ploy?

My answer is yes because I haven't seen anything in the RAW to say that archers can never use single sword icons off of triggered abilities.

For now, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if we got an errata limiting this to melee units, or units in melee range.

That's how we played it: archers get to use the single sword for damage on desperate ploy.

Honestly, archers are so iffy to begin with that I don't think it imbalances anything to give them that.

We also played it that a weak archer could do damage in a ranged attack with a single sword face on the die when using Desperate Ploy. It seemed to make sense given the wording of the card and the context of desperation when ordinarily impossible things can happen.

This all sounds clear to me,but what i still am figuring out is were do weakened archers hit on? since they one have one hit symbol on the combat dice.

Edited by matthew1980

So? It's never stated in the rules weakened ranged units can't hit on a Pierce result, so that weak Archers have the exact same odds of hitting as non-weak units.

That's one of the benefits to ranged units. The other benefit is that you can attack without getting countered. The drawback, of course, is that you are always hitting with a 1/6 chance.

I've never seen anyone rule it otherwise. I don't believe it is a mistake at all.

The other benefit is that you can attack without getting countered.

Not really. Countering is triggered by adjacency, not by the type of attack, so that if a Ranged unit attacks an adjacent unit, and the target unit survives the attack without breaking adjacency, the target unit is allowed to counter

Not really. Countering is triggered by adjacency, not by the type of attack, so that if a Ranged unit attacks an adjacent unit, and the target unit survives the attack without breaking adjacency, the target unit is allowed to counter

Sorry, I was on my mobile device so was using shorter sentences. I meant you have the opportunity to attack without being countered if you are attacking at range rather than attacking an adjacent enemy.

Sorry, I was on my mobile device so was using shorter sentences. I meant you have the opportunity to attack without being countered if you are attacking at range rather than attacking an adjacent enemy.

Yep, sorry I've been overpedantic (I know you know the rules), I was just afraid that the previous poster could be mislead by the answer