what does the AOR species look like

By thorn-124, in General Discussion

what does the Age of Rebellion beta list on species and in what order?

What races are included? Bothans, droids, duros, gran, human, ithorian, mon calamari, and sullustans.

Fugly.

Honestly, they all pretty much fell out of the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down.

I sometimes think the Empire has a point about all these bug-eyed monsters. The average Alliance meeting looks like a Furry convention seen under the influence of mind-altering drugs.

The Alliance is sorely in need of togruta, arkanians, twi'leks, zabrak or zeltrons.

Edited by Maelora

So, "because we're hot" does not work as a recruiting pitch for the Rebellion?

I don't know what this says about me, but I just had the mental image of a gran sitting in front of one of those clichéd theatre dressing room mirrors with the light bulbs around them, wearing a pink feather bower and applying thick bright red lip-stick while singing "I'm so pretty"...

I think I just got a new NPC to stat up and add to the pile. Kars Drasar, the Gran "human female impersonator". Bad stage act by day (night?), secret rebel sympathiser and spy by night (day?). He uses his stage songs to pass along coded messages to rebels that attend the performances in the cantina that he performs in.

No?

"The Alliance: Challenging Stereotypical Imperial Conceptions Of What It Means To Be Beautiful!"

We don't need this human-centric body-fascism! Three-eyed goat-faced eyestalk monsters are beautiful too!

Fugly.

Honestly, they all pretty much fell out of the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down.

I sometimes think the Empire has a point about all these bug-eyed monsters. The average Alliance meeting looks like a Furry convention seen under the influence of mind-altering drugs.

The Alliance is sorely in need of togruta, arkanians, twi'leks, zabrak or zeltrons.

They're player-character options for a space adventure game.

You're not supposed to want to sleep with them.

Fugly.

But dem eye stalks....

Whatever floats your boat.

As long as it is agreed upon by both participants.

Well clearly our groups are very different!

*hrmph*

:P

Edit: All jokes aside though, I rarely see anyone wanting to play a character that a) radically deviates from their own phenotype and b) looks fugly. Like it or not, and I'm not disagreeing with you here, players rarely want to play, and rarely cares for, what they perceive to be ugly characters.

Unless "he's really, really ugly" is part of the character concept, anyway.

Edited by Fgdsfg

Edit: All jokes aside though, I rarely see anyone wanting to play a character that a) radically deviates from their own phenotype and b) looks fugly. Like it or not, and I'm not disagreeing with you here, players rarely want to play, and rarely cares for, what they perceive to be ugly characters.

Depends on the players. I've gamed with folks that always went for the oddball species in Star Wars games, with one that flat-out refused to play anything but Ithorians, and another that if the option was there, would play a Wookiee, and a third that always played female characters of generally humanoid species (Twi'leks, Zabraks, Arkanians, etc) in spite being male (sadly his PCs frequently into fall into the stereotypes of what happens when a guy tries to RP a female-character).

(sadly his PCs frequently into fall into the stereotypes of what happens when a guy tries to RP a female-character).

Flirting with the oddball? "Oh my... I simply love that 3rd eyeball you have there, Mr. Gran." :wub:

Thinking about it, there's not actually that many near-humans in EotE and AoR... :unsure:

All I can think of is Chiss in the EotE supplement I forget the name of and, if you're getting technical, Sullustan (in AoR).

So many possibilities and we end up with all these weirdos.

Edited by Fgdsfg

Thinking about it, there's not actually that many near-humans in EotE and AoR... :unsure:

All I can think of is Chiss in the EotE supplement I forget the name of and, if you're getting technical, Sullustan (in AoR).

So many possibilities and we end up with all these weirdos.

Humans, Chiss: mistakable for each other.

Duros, Sullustan, Twilek: Can be disguised as human easily enough. (Twileks would need to hide the tails, limiting the disguise options)

Bothans, Gran, Rodian: Can be disguised as humans provided a closed helmet is worn

Ithorians, Wookies, Trandoshan, Toydarian, Mon Cal: Not gonna disguise as humans, but still humanoid.

Adding the NPCs, we add

Aqualish, Weequay, quarren: Helmet required

Tusken: Never seen without full head coverage, so presume closed helmet.

Hutt: No chance of being mistaken for a human

Near-Human is a specific thing , it's not just "kinda looks remotely human" and it's certainly not "can be disguised as human", and "humanoid" isn't even in the same ballpark.

And if you mistaken Chiss for Human (without disguise)... I.. I'm not sure what I'd give you there. Not a whole lot of blue-skinned super-red-eyed humans walking around.

Near-Human is a specific thing , it's not just "kinda looks remotely human" and it's certainly not "can be disguised as human", and "humanoid" isn't even in the same ballpark.

And if you mistaken Chiss for Human (without disguise)... I.. I'm not sure what I'd give you there. Not a whole lot of blue-skinned super-red-eyed humans walking around.

Yes, but that classification system is absolutely worthless in game, while what can be disguised readily is VERY useful.

All it takes to make a chiss pass for human is a pair of shades and a bottle of liquid base makeup.

Sullustans, while officially near humans, ain't going to pass without hiding the jowls.

Yeah, either way, it's completely beside the point...

We had a Chiss PC in a Saga Edition Legacy Era/Dawn of Defiance campaign that none of the players (much less the characters) was aware was a Chiss, or that she was affiliated with the Fel Empire-in-Exile. She was very good at disguise, and we just thought she was a stand-offish Human, particularly as she took great care in not getting hit and thus not needing any medical treatment after a fight.

Admittedly, it helps when one of the other PCs is packing a light repeating blaster and another PC is a "telekinetic wrecking ball" that just about pooped natural 20's when it came to making Use the Force checks, both of whom ensured that most fights didn't last very long.

Sullustans, while officially near humans, ain't going to pass without hiding the jowls.

I want to point out that the Beta calls them "dewflaps" - a slang terms for a woman's labia. :huh:

I really hope that this doesn't make it into the final product.

I want to point out that the Beta calls them "dewflaps" - a slang terms for a woman's labia. :huh:

They're dewlaps (note no "f") in various other EU materials. I've never before heard the term in reference to genitalia.

It is, however, a standard biological term. Wikipedia has a convenient article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewlap

They're dewlaps (note no "f") in various other EU materials. I've never before heard the term in reference to genitalia.

It is, however, a standard biological term. Wikipedia has a convenient article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewlap

Well, I just rechecked, and the Beta definitely calls them "dewflaps" with the "F" - and that's why one of my more crude players calls them the "pu$$y-faced" aliens.

Edited by HappyDaze

Ewww. I think the word is 'dewlaps', isn't it?

Well, I just rechecked, and the Beta definitely calls them "dewflaps" with the "F" - and that's why one of my more crude players calls them the "pu$$y-faced" aliens.

I do believe that is the technical term ever since sullustans made their first appearance.

A buddy of mine always called them Sullustaceans. I laughed, told his brother what he said, and then I told him, they're not mutant crustaceans.