The problem with scattering thrown weapons

By Naviward, in Game Mechanics

Just wanted to cover a small point that never sat well with me in DH1.

Thrown weapons with blast, like grenades, scatter 1d5 metres when the attacker misses. This means that unlike normal weapons, when you miss you still have a chance to hit.

For example, frag grenades with blast 3 are still going to hit 60% of the time on the primary target when missing and web grenades with blast 5 can't miss (unless you get a jam effect) no matter the attackers BS score.

While I understand that to a certain extent grenades are supposed to be easier to use for unskilled operatives and there are some advantages to the defender from a scattered grenade (like possibly being able to dodge when you couldn't at all before), it seems to me that it would be better to take into account the attackers DoF in the scatter, making it 1d5 + DoF metres scatter.

This way when attacking, a novice (BS 27) rolling badly (attack 91) would scatter 1d5 + 7 metres, unable to hit the target at all. This would make grenades in the hands of someone unskilled much more of a liability and a skilfully user of grenades much more of an asset.

Yeah, your roll or your stats should definitely play a roll in determining scatter distance. You know FFG have ****** up when the 40k tabletop covers this in more detail than DH does.

On that note, in TT blasts scatter 2d6-BS. It could be worth adapting that over. 1d10-BS bonus, maybe?

Yeah, your roll or your stats should definitely play a roll in determining scatter distance. You know FFG have ****** up when the 40k tabletop covers this in more detail than DH does.

On that note, in TT blasts scatter 2d6-BS. It could be worth adapting that over. 1d10-BS bonus, maybe?

It's a good point, I hadn't though of it like that, that would certainly work to.

One advantage though of using the DoF is that if the player misses only just they have a better chance of still hitting and that's quite a nice feeling rather than it being totally random on the scatter roll. It then also benefits from the advantage of your system as the high BS character simple can't generate that many DoF.

Yeah, I actually like the DoF idea better. Just throwing out potential alternatives in case someone finds some sort of flaw with the DoF idea.

What about a grenade being useless (no effect at all - doesnt explode) with more DoF than your BS Bonus ?

Could work, but I feel like that's making scenarios less interesting, not more. It's pretty amusing (and appropriate) for a grenade to skitter off course and end up blasting a team mate.

*hehe* yes, it can be...but I wouldnt have expected YOU to say that ;D

As someone who plays against Imperial Guard a lot in the tabletop, I can really appreciate it when a scatter dice doesn't work in someone's favour.