Clue vs, Arrest

By ChrisWDP, in Letters from Whitechapel

Recently bought this game and have played three times. In each turn this situation came up and wondering if I'm either reading the rules wrong, misunderstanding them, or just not quite getting the hang of Jack's responses.

Let's say Jack is on crossing 48 and there are two detectives one (Blue) on 62 and one (Red) on 63. The player for Blue calls out 48 as clue, not an arrest and Jack say 'Yes', Yellow disk goes on board. Based on the past turns they know that is where he is. Does that mean Red can issue arrest right away and capture Jack?

This came up after Jack's first move, in which this happened, so the game was over in one turn. I have read the rules, but can't see anything that would negate this type of action.

Would be interested in other's thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Based on Blue making a succesful Clue assumption, Jack could possibly have been at 48 any number of turns during the night. However like you say, in this case, you were certain Jack was still at 48, and Blue had used his action to turn up the clue. So he can take no further part this turn. If no Clue was found, he could've continued to ask for clues on any of the other adjoining locations, until either a clue was found, or he ran out of options for asking.

So as Red was adjacent then yes he may, 'and did right to', make an arrst on that point, hoping that Jack was still there.

Now here are my thoughts:

Jack leaves a trail each night on every location he's visited. Some trails will be old, some fresh, some visited on more than one occasion, and some will stop dead - if Jack has used a shortcut.

Jack being caught on the first turn, that's a beginners error of the first degree ! Jack made a kill right next to the detectives, and his position is then known immediately. The Detectives will flock to that area immediately and end the game for sure! He needs a few rounds and distance to get away from the kill scene - before the Detectives get a chance to swamp the area. I suggest a more experienced Jack for future plays.

Edited by Avalanche Master

Thanks for the reply, it helps clarify. Yes it was a beginners error, since it was the first time we played. Part of the error was because it was not taken into account that the detectives can move faster than Jack, unless he has a carriage to use or alleyway.