So, should I take the plunge??

By Dicenilee, in BattleLore

I was gutted when I missed the first Battlelore series, so you can imagine how excited I was when I see this announced.

Does it live up to expectations?

How does it compare to first Battlelore and indeed the Game of Thrones edition?

What are the positives and those negatives?

Many thanks in advance!

I really enjoy the game. It's much more streamlined than the previous games, and the scenario setup adds really nice variety.

Just played mine for the first time and had a lot of fun with it. Very streamlined with a good mix of random and tactical decision making. Games seem to move pretty quick. The three my buddy and I played probably lasted about 45 mins on average and that was with two people who have never played before. The map and terrain are just really sharp. The large scale is really nice. I also really think even a novice player will pick up the gist of this game relatively easily. Really looking forward to more expansions and even different versions under this rule system.

I don't know how it compares to the others because I never played them.

It's awesome. Buy it.

I've played/owned almost every single game that uses the C&C system including Battles of Westeros and Battlelore 1e and out of them all I must say Battlelore 2e seems to work the best. Probably put MM 44' a close second but definetly BL2 is #1 so far. Tweaks some of the things that needed tweaking without adding to many extra layers of odds and ends. I must admit I like having pre set scenerios as well as the custom set up options. Given the sheer legacy of Richard Borgs system I have high hopes for some good expansions given FFGs devotion and the popularity of the Terrinoth setting.

Now I just have to decide between this and Runewars. Ridiculous choice.

No, buy Battles of Westeros, it's a better game.

If you can't decide between BL2 and RW...well my heart would say Runewars...

And my other heart would says BattleLore 2nd edition

:P

Between BL2 and RW, depends on the number of players. If you have a single opponent, or play 2-player game more often, take BL2; on the other hand, if you play multi-player games more, take RW.

Just make it your goal to collect all the Terrinoth setting games. I played a bit of Descent 1e for awhile and tried Descent 2 and Runewars and while there were aspects I liked and didnt like the setting didnt really grab me but with BL2 the whole Terrinoth thing is starting to grow on me.

Almost starting to hope we might see a Terrinoth based RPG someday.

Now I just have to decide between this and Runewars. Ridiculous choice.

I faced the same decision and chose Runewars. I still love Runewars, but the truth is it won't get played nearly as much as BattleLore simply because of the length of the game.

I would go for BL2,as others have said it's streamlined & removed the fiddley parts to BL1.

IMO the BL2 Game figures are vastly superior in looks.

I love Battles of Westeros but I like the way BL2 plays better & faster.

I already had Runewars so no choice to make but Runewars is best as a multiplayer

Game & it's more of an area control Game

Battlelore it is, I think. I'm adding that and War of the Ring to my collection this month so I'm set for a bit :)

Battlelore it is, I think. I'm adding that and War of the Ring to my collection this month so I'm set for a bit :)

Be sure to get the Treebeard promo expansion.

Just got my first two games in today. Wow, awesome game.

I really liked Battle Cry and Memior '44, but both felt a bit limited, even though I like seeing the simplified version of historical battles.

But BL2, wow. It fixed a bunch of stuff. More unit types, the units have a more unique feel. There are some good defensive strategies. The Lore mechanic was awesome and added a surprising amount of depth to the game. The "weak" unit mechanic was great. And I love the victory point system instead of VPs just being based on destroying units instead of capturing objectives... although with the right lore cards, destroying units can certainly be a goal.

Can't wait to play more games and see what expansions are coming out. Obviously a lot of potential for expansions.