Fire on ammunition/fuel

By GauntZero, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

I just saw that there exists a rule to set vehicles on fire with flame weapons.

Is there a similar rule about what happens with characters that carry flamer tanks themselves, grenades or similar high-explosive materials with them, if they get on fire ?

If not - why not ? Such a rulebox would make sense as it might happen sometimes...

Even Bolter ammunition and plasma/melta should be a little...instable if set on fire.

Maybe a risk each round would make sense ?

There's been results reflecting this stuff in the crit tables since DH 1e. You could add in earlier effects, but I feel like it'd become tedious.

Thing is, I think it IS rather dangerous to be set on fire while carrying a promethium canister on your back...even if you are far away from crit damage yet.

Maybe such things should state the risk of carrying them explicitely - also a called shot with a bolter would be devastating.

Would flamers need to be buffed to support this, though? At the moment flamers aren't spectacular weapons, and making them a huge liability safety wise doesn't help that.

Edited by Tom Cruise

To be honest, I think flamers are really really dangerous already:

> their damage output is quite good (1d10+4, AP2 hurts more like a shotgun that has a similar range and clip size; also it is not much rarer if you use a standard flamer)

> their flame ability is murderous (you will be set on fire in around 50% of the cases, depending on your Ag): being on fire creates damage, fatigue, can cost your actions (and preventz you from putting the fire out) and is very hard to put out: -20 Ag test and getting prone AND you need to have the full action --> without help from outside, you are a dead fried man

> it is even very dangerous to vehicles now

Only current downside might be that you fire without a test and the enemy might use Ag to prevent being hit. But this might also be good, depending on the situation. Dodging is binary here, thats a downside too.

But otherwise, I think an explicit danger for carrying the promethium canister would not be unbalanced.

Or, just a very quick House Rule giving the concerned weapons a special quality that: if the character ever gains the Burning condition, they double its severity and lose a clip of ammunition.

I would never use this, but I know people who would. It's cosmetic enough for it to not be too much of a balance issue.

The additional bookkeeping does turn me off of it. Players have enough to manage as is- most of my group can't remember their talents half of the time.

Why do we like this system again?

Edited by Kainus

We like this game because of its gritty grimdark feeling, underlined by the promethium canister on your own back that explodes while being set aflame.

At least it would be nice to know what amount of damage a promethium canister explosion deals (or is this already written somewhere ?).

Edited by GauntZero