Monkey curse

By bisuax, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

If one is transformed into a monkey by the curse trap, and is attacked until killed, are the conquest tokens reduced? and if the wounds end up to 0 with the number of turns, is he transformed into a hero in place or is he transformed to human in town. and what happens with regards to the conquest points?

No reduction in conquest. If you (as OL) kill a hero as a monkey, the heroes lose the full conquest value for that death (or you gain it if we're talking rtl). This is why it's great to turn those 4 CP, high armor heroes into monkeys so you can hit them with zero armor and take a quick 4 cp.

If the hero survives being a monkey (remember, no using glyphs in monkey form) he turns back into a hero at the end of his turn and stays right where he was in the dungeon. Just replace the monkey marker back with the hero figure.

but if he survives the monkey, are the conquest tokens taken? or remains the same?

If he is not killed as a monkey, no tokens are lost(or gained in RtL). There are no inherent conquest tokens lost or gained from being turned into a monkey. The point of monkey is to make them easier to kill while also eliminating the damage they do.

You can't use Glyphs in monkey form?

-shnar

bisuax said:

but if he survives the monkey, are the conquest tokens taken? or remains the same?

bisuax said:

Heroes only lose conquest if a hero dies, regardless of what form he takes. 11 Threat to take away armor and stop movement for two turns is one thing. 11 threat for an automatic kill plus a really good chance at a second would be ridiculous.

shnar said:

-shnar

Jitd rulebook under "transformed":

"Monkeys cannot attack and cannot use any items,
including potions. A monkey can move up to 5 spaces
on the hero’s turn, but cannot take any movement
actions.
A monkey has the hero’s wounds and fatigue,
but has a total armor value of 0."

Emphasis mine. Glyphing is a movement action. Since chests and glyphs are often close, wouldn't be nearly as effective if a hero could just glyph out next turn. You are stuck in the dungeon until you cease being a monkey.

shnar said:

-shnar

If you could, you could just hop into town and sit there for 3 turns. Plus, thematically, that would have to be a pretty **** smart monkey to be able to active a magical rune. :P

Huh, I guess I was just thinking Road To Legend, where you don't spend movement points to activate a Glyph, you just start your turn standing on, or next to the Glyph. Sort of assumed that the Monkey *could* run to town, but the tricky part was getting to that Glyph alive...

-shnar

Can someone with leadership give a dodge order to a monkey? Technically he is not placing the order himself.

Yes, that's actually mentioned in the FAQ in one of the "If I was a monkey" entries.

Feanor said:

shnar said:

-shnar

Jitd rulebook under "transformed":

"Monkeys cannot attack and cannot use any items,
including potions. A monkey can move up to 5 spaces
on the hero’s turn, but cannot take any movement
actions.
A monkey has the hero’s wounds and fatigue,
but has a total armor value of 0."

Emphasis mine. Glyphing is a movement action. Since chests and glyphs are often close, wouldn't be nearly as effective if a hero could just glyph out next turn. You are stuck in the dungeon until you cease being a monkey.

It's a bit confusing. From FAQ

Q: Can a transformed hero (monkey) leave a dungeon via portal, if someone else has opened the door?
A: Yes. However, the hero remains a monkey for the same length of time.

Is the Portal here a Glyph?

Portal always refers to that area behind the locked door at the end of the level, not glyphs.

lock said:

It's a bit confusing. From FAQ

Q: Can a transformed hero (monkey) leave a dungeon via portal, if someone else has opened the door?
A: Yes. However, the hero remains a monkey for the same length of time.

Is the Portal here a Glyph?

No. Portals only appear in RTL, at the end of dungeon levels.

So in RtL, where you're not spending MPs to use a Glyph, can a monkey use a glyph?

-shnar

shnar said:

So in RtL, where you're not spending MPs to use a Glyph, can a monkey use a glyph?

-shnar

I would say no, since glyphing to town replaces a turn, and you don't get a full turn when you are a monkey. Of course, that then begs the question of whether you can use a glyph if you are stunned...so, I'm not sure. I would say you couldn't as a monkey, but could if stunned...but it's a tough call.