Does a devoured investigator fail an adventure?

By BardMorgan, in Elder Sign

If an investigator is devoured as the result of a terror effect (e.g., terror effect is "Lose 1 Sanity"), does that count as failing the adventure for the purposes of adventure penalties such as doom track tokens and monsters?

For example, Joe Diamond is investigating the Riot in the Streets adventure. Due to a series of unfortunate events, Joe is on the ragged edge of sanity, occasionally bursting into fits of giggling for no apparent reason.

As he's investigating, the player rolls a Terror result, and Joe is fresh out of clues. Joe's tortured sanity finally snaps and he runs down into the basement of the museum, never to be seen again in this lifetime. Per the rules, a Doom token should be added to the Ancient One due to his untimely devouring.

The penalty for failing the adventure is a Doom token.

Does this result in two Doom tokens being added?

If so, and this causes the Ancient One to awaken (and assuming it's not Azathoth), does the player formerly known as Joe Diamond get another investigator for the final battle?

There is one possible answer on page 11 of the rules. Under "Being Devoured" the rules state:

"If the active player's investigator is devoured, the player must still perform the Advance the Clock step of his turn, ( but no other steps )." - emphasis added .

Any comments, ideas, rulings?

Thanks!

Morgan

I've always played it that the adventure is failed and, thus, you suffer the penalty, but after being reminded of that rule, I'm feeling that I might be playing that incorrectly. Plus, in order to avoid the conflict your propose, I think I'm going to start ruling that the investigator being devoured + the subsequent doom token is penalty enough.

Umm, I don't that that getting devoured from a Terror effect triggers the penalty. You haven't actually failed the adventure, since you haven't run out of dice. The investigator just died trying. So, you only add one doom token for the devoured investigator(or 3, if it's Glaaki)

If Shudde Mell were the AO, and you died from a Terror effect on an Adventure card, you haven't failed it either. So the card stays in play.

Edited by zealot12

Thanks all. That's what I was thinking, but it's good to have confirmation.

Morgan