Initiative Slots

By AK_Aramis, in Game Mechanics

I realized I'd been doing something that wasn't clearly based in the rules...

When a bad guy (or minion group) gets taken out, I remove an initiative slot for their side.

If they have already acted in the turn when killed/stunned/ko'd/caused-to-flee, I pull the first slot for their side.

If they haven't acted, I pull the last slot.

This nicely contracts the slots.

Figured I'd share - and elicit comments.

I tend to leave the slots. Any character can use any slot, and some slots are unused. This allows each side the opportunity to 'pass' and use a slot more tactically useful (sometimes going after someone on the other side is beneficial).

I tend to leave the slots. Any character can use any slot, and some slots are unused. This allows each side the opportunity to 'pass' and use a slot more tactically useful (sometimes going after someone on the other side is beneficial).

This was actually a pretty good idea. I've always just struck out the last slot unless I had plans to introduce reinforcements, but maybe I should keep it from now on.

This was actually a pretty good idea. I've always just struck out the last slot unless I had plans to introduce reinforcements, but maybe I should keep it from now on.

I find that I prefer spending destiny to allow more flexibility a more sane approach. After all, you are allowed to spend destiny to go when you don't have a spot. If you don't eliminate slots, that becomes an option seldom worth using.

How so? I thought the initiative system clearly delineated PC slots (generated by PC/ally initiative) and NPC/enemy slots, with free choice in your own category of which character goes in what slot of your category.

So if there's an open "enemy slot" caused by an enemy dying, the players still can't use it.

How so? I thought the initiative system clearly delineated PC slots (generated by PC/ally initiative) and NPC/enemy slots, with free choice in your own category of which character goes in what slot of your category.

So if there's an open "enemy slot" caused by an enemy dying, the players still can't use it.

Given the initiative sequence EPPEEPE, if the players want to act before that first E, spend a destiny and do so. There's no need to retain the slots of the lost characters (on either side) - and further, keeping them makes the bookkeeping of when a side is done that much harder by not having the cross check of "have I used everyone".

I pretty much do what Aramis does. Except I remove the last slot after every one on that side has gone.

Yes, it is easiest to just let the round finish out then figure out what to remove.