What OW Supplements would you like to see?

By Radwraith, in Only War

Looking at the "Shield of the Humanity" thread got me thinking...(Yeah,yeah..I know it's hard to believe! :rolleyes: ) What OW supplements would we like to see?

For me a couple come to mind:

The Imperial Navy: Not so much rules for starships (Though RT tie-ins would be useful) but rather rules for IN fighter and bomber squadrons, (Marauder and thunderbolt fighters,) cleaned up rules for dogfighting and aerial combat and finally, Actual rules for waterborne vehicles.

The Adeptus Astartes: Not so much DW but rules for taking the characters from Initiate (Scout typically) up through Veteran (Where DW takes over.) Additionally, Updated rules for OW compliant SM vehicles (The DW versions are way OP compared to OW) and Ideally, RT stats for SM Starships.

What else?

Edited by Radwraith

I think a big vehicles book, covering both a wider variety of vehicles and larger scale vehicles, would be both a natural and a cool addition.

I also would love to see a book sort of like Star of Inequity, but with a focus on generating interesting war zones, battles, set piece battles, etc.

It would also be kind of cool to have a supplement spotlighting entirely fan-made regiments, giving them the full write-ups, cool art, the whole nine yards, even if it was digital only or something. Not likely, but it would be cool.

The Astartes book sounds something for DW,. not OW. Only War is all about the normal joe schomes being Guardsmen, not the Astartes.

I agree with the Navy book for some more void/Naval warfare centric campaigns; I mean even the Dominate have ships of their own, or at the very least the Orks, Chaos and Dark Eldars in the sector.

More Campaign books would be nice; Final Testament was a good one, I don't know about No Surrender yet, but I should have it in my hands in a few days for sure. Apart form that..pff..hard to say really..short of adding more regiments and options, weapons and vehicles (and even then, there's only so much of them left so to speak) perhaps books about other enemies across the bigger Imperium? Maybe trek around in the Archilles Crusade? Gets deployed to the Spinward front, but a small clerical error gets you facing off the Tau; guess that training getting ready to fight human rebels is out the window..

A Navy book, a planetstrike-centered book, a vehicle splatbook...anything so long as it has Valkyrie stats!

The warzone generator idea sounds awesome, that'd be cool to see. Maybe coupled with a campaign book, like the Space Hulk generator for Deathwatch was? Focusing on the broader Imperium sounds cool too, although that takes you entirely out of the local setting they've built. Would be worth it for updated Tyranid rules... :D

Something focused on Hive warfare. Fighting your way through underhive sumps and giant manufactorums, that sort of thing. Can't launch heavy ordinance here, it might set off an explosion that would take out the whole Spire. Sorry, Trooper, you'll have to clear the area on your own...bonus points if it gives little snippets of hinted-at wars like Tranch!

More tanks, but that's the answer I always give.

BYE

I would like to see rules for trench fighting and sieges, maybe something like fortifications or fortresses.

A setting book giving detailed information about the world within the warzone
A book about the support the IG gets, such as the Navy and the Munitorium
More vehicles...

I would like to see a supplement featuring the Administratum, centred around the Great Filing War of 819m41, which wiped out the planetary records of a thousand planets - planets now forever lost in the cold void of an uncaring universe, to be evermore forgotten by the Imperium.

A "Trilogy" Campaign book series. Whilst No Surrender looks good on its own, I was surprised they didn't form a trilogy around it like say... Haarlock or the other lines have. Part 1 could be the assault on the Star Fort, the second book would be, the planet itself, maybe three could be an enemy counter-attack? Only War just seems really suited to that trilogy style of adventure since the Guard can likely expect to be left on a planet for the long, long, term whilst the other lines are independent enough as individuals to planet hop a fair bit.

A Navy supplement would be nice. Alternate regiments for being Navy Armsmen, Guard who fight in the void of space, information on how the Navy would launch a first wave (since I think this is mentioned a few times. They DO have ground capabilities but more of a first wave whilst the Guard actually hold and secure ground) and all of the fun Navy toys that come with it such as Valkyries. Maybe it could have a short adventure revolving around a boarding action ALA Fire Warrior.

A "Large Scale Battles" supplement. I think Enemies of the Imperium went into this in a bit of detail, but more ways to run things on a grander scale since it feels like a lot of OW has thus far been very 'focused.

I expect some sort of "Spinward Front" lore book is inevitable anyway.

Edited by Arbitrator

Imperial Armour book for tankers and flyboys, Commissariat/Stormtrooper/Psyker splatbook (this one is kinda obvious), setting book similiar to Achillus Assault/Jericho Reach (or two, or three), Kill-team and special operations supplement, and Company/Regimental level play supplement. That is all I want just now :D

I would like to see a collection of all vehicles, flyers, weapons, tools and gear in one encyclopedia.

I hate it when the gear is scattered in 1-10 books.

That goes for all systems, not just OW.

The Astartes book sounds something for DW,. not OW. Only War is all about the normal joe schomes being Guardsmen, not the Astartes.

I agree with the Navy book for some more void/Naval warfare centric campaigns; I mean even the Dominate have ships of their own, or at the very least the Orks, Chaos and Dark Eldars in the sector.

More Campaign books would be nice; Final Testament was a good one, I don't know about No Surrender yet, but I should have it in my hands in a few days for sure. Apart form that..pff..hard to say really..short of adding more regiments and options, weapons and vehicles (and even then, there's only so much of them left so to speak) perhaps books about other enemies across the bigger Imperium? Maybe trek around in the Archilles Crusade? Gets deployed to the Spinward front, but a small clerical error gets you facing off the Tau; guess that training getting ready to fight human rebels is out the window..

I always felt Astartes belonged more in a battlefield setting at least as much as a DW "kill team" scenario. In any case, What I'm talking about would be more about "Standard" Astartes than DW types. (Probably more the equivalent of legion CSM in BC) DW marines start out as veterans (The equivalent of Vanguard and Sternguard or even 1st comp terminators) rather than rank and file marines. I have always had an interest in the lower end. Playing a team of Scouts or an OW style squad of Tactical Marines. Admittedly you could probably make a whole other game line if you did the Astartes credit; (With Starships, tanks, advanced tactics and whatnot), Being able to play an Astartes squad that makes an appearance on the front would be interesting!

I also would second the desire for an Admech splatbook that includes rules for the Titan legions!

A supplement or at least subsection on Mass combat would definately be helpful. The RT system was a good start but was incomplete and thus had problems. It did a great job of showing how a large force is raised but the actual "battles" felt thrown together.

BTW: The IN does NOT (to my knowledge at least) maintain regiments of actual "ground troops" as that would violate the prohibition against mixed forces. In fact that is the Astartes specific Nich! They are the only force that maintains their own (Special purpose) Starships and Aircraft along with their ground forces! Ship's armsmen are smaller scale boarding and security troops that have more in common with Arbitors and Star trek redshirts than Guardsmen! (Although you could certainly build an archtype off of DH2's Arbites).

There are a few things I'd like, admittedly most of them are more for the GM side of things. One of them would simply be a table to help quickly generate enemy armies and/or battle situations since just trying to put an army together can be problematic at times trying to figure out how to use forces together. Also, I'd love to see more stuff on running large mass combats for both sides of it as the players doing more than directing their own squad is mentioned a few times but precious little is given on it.

Yes, more stuff for vehicles as well as a clearer idea of what can be mounted on a vehicle (IE can I only mount the weapons listed for a vehicle as its normal loadout or could I replace some of the weapons with ones that the squad has) I'd like to see more options for vehicles, like say other transport variants, etc.

I also would love to see some expansions on the stuff in hammer of the emperor for creating more variant pattern types for weapons, equipment, and even have some stuff for vehicles as well.

Also, I'd like a few more things on advice for running some of the forces. I am not a tactical mastermind and I have only really used the Dark Eldar in adventures they're published in because frankly I can't run them right and I don't think I even did very well with them in the adventure.

Large Scale Battle would be awesome, maybe.

If done right, I'd love it. Done wrong... I was so disappointed with the mass combat system in BFK (RT). :(

Large Scale Battle would be awesome, maybe.

If done right, I'd love it. Done wrong... I was so disappointed with the mass combat system in BFK (RT). :(

The Ground battle section of OW was, IMO Incomplete. It would need to be retooled somewhat to make sense and also allow for Xenos Armies (Which were hard to Codify in the system). The basic premise was good: Raise army from various troop types presented, Fight Battlefield scale conflicts using largely narrative descriptors and finally, Allow characters to participate and effect final outcome of said battle/conflict directly. The problem was it required some Gm tinkering to make work properly! Thus, Incomplete!

So true.

Since I don't expect any new Calixis Sector stuff from the DH line, I'd like to see OW take over that setting. The conclusion of the Apostacy Gambit left the Sector in turmoil, so it seems natural for OW to expand beyond the Spinward Front. I've been wanting details of the Soot Warrens of Tranch for years now...

I would love to see dogfight rules plus stats for Imperial as well as Xenos flyers.

Maybe some rules for Eldar of the non-Dark variant.

More Homeworld options and more Commanding Officer options would be nice.

"Gang" as a Regiment Type option.

I was hoping for more abhumans beyond the main two.

The words "as well as characters belonging to either of the Abhuman sub-species that fight with the front ranks of the Imperial Guard." does not bode well for this hope

Like a mosquito at a nudist colony, I don't know where to begin! Ok, here goes.

Rules for dogfighting, and thus, having a flying unit. In the last campaign I ran, I actually considered having the players make secondary pilot characters in order to insert cameo sessions focusing on the air war as well.

A book that would provide advanced specialties for the ones not covered so far (Commissars, Storm Troopers, Psykers).

More regiment options are always welcome.

I would also like to see some additional specialties offered for starting characters. For example, Vox Operator, Beast Handler, Intelligence Analyst, and Combat Engineer.

Solid, workable, and realistic rules for calling in fire missions and air.

I would like to see the Sergeant specialty reworked entirely.

A mission book where the unit is conducting counter insurgency operations. (I did three deployments to Iraq, if FFG wants help)

Stop calling magazines "clips".

I would love to see a book that focuses on the aircraft used by the Imperium of Man. I know that vendettas aren't actually the Imperial Guards equipment, but it would be nice to actually have stats for that kind of stuff to use in all of the WH40K games. It's especially jarring how little aircraft there are considering how prominent they were in the 5th IG codex. Melta squads would be awesome in OW.

In fact, I think it'd be nice if they made aircraft of the enemies as well in said book(s). They can do a relevant expansion for each game even: The Tau have some neat fighter jets iirc that could be added to Deathwatch.

I would love to see a book that focuses on the aircraft used by the Imperium of Man. I know that vendettas aren't actually the Imperial Guards equipment, but it would be nice to actually have stats for that kind of stuff to use in all of the WH40K games. It's especially jarring how little aircraft there are considering how prominent they were in the 5th IG codex. Melta squads would be awesome in OW.

Actually, a Navy Handbook might be a really interesting sourcebook.

Fliers and maybe some regimental creation tools for making armsmen?

Stop calling magazines "clips".

I second this call.

FFG produced a tactical board game called Tide Of Iron http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide_of_Iron

One expansion for this game was entitled 'Designer Series, Vol 1'. In it, there were some 22 mission scenarios. I think a "Missions" supplement would be very helpful- how to construct Missions, how to present them, and a selection of Mission summaries.

Edited by Brother Orpheo

But then we would get lots of confused questions from players about how they can fit a magazine into a gun and if they can only reload when the new issue comes around -- which would make it necessary to have different rules for weekly, biweekly, monthly etc. forms of ammunition.

"In the next explosive issue of Boltgun Monthly, we take a look at the famed Storm Bolter. So, how is it? Amazing? Crap? Best left for Grey Knights and vehicle pintle-mounts? Tune in to find out, or we'll show you."

Personally, not being militarily-trained, or even so big into guns, I've never seen the big issue on this, between clips and mags. To my unenlightened mind, they are the same dumb thing, each for just a different scale of gun. Is the weapon chain-fed? No. Nuclear-powered? No, then some sort of bullet-holding container must get plugged in. Is it drum-shaped? Nope. Then it's a clip/magazine. What's the diff, semantics aside?

Now I'll probably get the real answer to that question, but maybe I'll learn from it.

I know that they exist in other books, most of which I have, but I really do, sometimes, wish they'd make a more comprehensive Critters book. So in OW, the Guard fight Chaos (who doesn't?), Orks, and Dark Eldar. Maybe I want to use "regular" (Craftworld) Eldar, Tau, or something. I know they try to stick to the setting, and don't include numerous things that don't occupy it (the one place they choose NOT to copy/paste from the other rule books), but sometimes I want to imagine them someplace else, fighting the Nids of Hive Fleet Leviathan, or the Tau, and not wanting to have to dig up the DW books, then the errata, for the better gun stats, and THEN do the converts between DH1/RT/DW to OW/BC. Maybe they aren't So big of changes, but maybe I AM COLOSSALY lazy.