Star Wars Attack Squadrons

By ErikB, in General Discussion

Looking forward to trying it out, but I can't say the trailer had me that enthused...the voice-overs were flat, like the actors were given lines they didn't even know the references to; and while the ships look good, the animation and choreography was ... uninspired. Compared to the 1313 trailer, or TOR trailers, it's pretty underwhelming.

And this is relevant to the beta.... how?

I'd be looking at the possibilities offered by using custom color schemes on your fighters, and the importance of talking through cupped hands to produce the distinctive distortion on comm chatter.

Really, if you are going to have fighters in a game at all, you need to have this queued up as audio:-

Edited by ErikB

And this is relevant to the beta.... how?

Like the bulk of his posts, probably not at all.

Looking forward to trying it out, but I can't say the trailer had me that enthused...the voice-overs were flat, like the actors were given lines they didn't even know the references to; and while the ships look good, the animation and choreography was ... uninspired. Compared to the 1313 trailer, or TOR trailers, it's pretty underwhelming.

I have to think (because the alternative is too depressing) the voice-overs are part of the new trend with online game advertising, where they show "actual players" during the gameplay footage. I've seen other MMO and F2P trailers do the same. Which explains why the pilot sounds like a bored WoW player directing a Raid, instead of a happy Star Wars fan making an attack run in a _freaking_ X-Wing.

But yeah, I agree with you, that was a lack-luster teaser trailer, though the screenshots give me slightly more hope.

Being a "free to play" PC game, so only slightly above a mobile game in terms of something to get excited about, but there are some pictures of fighters:-

I'm really guarded. On the one hand, Warframe is an amazing free-to-play, action-packed sci-fi game, so I hold it up as an example of F2P done right.

On the other, I recently tried The Old Republic as a free player, and was immensely disappointed by how its F2P systems work.

I'm interested in seeing how long they keep this new ships monthly thing up, and where they will come from. Unless they tap into the EU or come up with all new ships they are going to run out of fighter, and shuttle/freighter sized craft to add fast even if they include the ships from the PT and The Clone Wars

I will play when they implement E-Wings, and not until.

I will play when they implement E-Wings, and not until.

You might be waiting a while then.

It seems that the whole canon structure is getting an overhaul if Leland Chee's tweets are anything to go by. Instead of G-level, C-level, etc. degrees of canon, there's going to be a single universal canon with everything going forward being more closely watched to maintain a greater sense of continuity. There's no word where the EU material will end up, but I suspect some portions of it will end up being put into the "non-canon" bucket.

Don't get me wrong, I like the E-Wings, but their a very minor element of the overall Star Wars canon...

Poppa George was once quoted as saying that Dark Empire was TOTALLY what he would have written for a sequel to Jedi though...so who knows.

All seeing stuff like this does is make me wish they'd make another X-wing/TIE Fighter game. A prequel X-wing installment could be rather epic...

Poppa George was once quoted as saying that Dark Empire was TOTALLY what he would have written for a sequel to Jedi though...so who knows.

That only speaks worse of him and his ideas, not better.