How's the game?

By Light Bright, in BattleLore

I haven't gotten mine yet. For those who own and played it what do you think is it a good game? Pros Cons?

In the middle of learning the game now.

Have no experience with BL 1st edition, CnC games OR BoW. So this system of war game is new to me.

I am not certain if I like it or not yet.....What I do like so far is that the game offers lots of choices, some amount of depth tactically, some randomness in the form of the order cards but mainly, it plays VERY fast.

The big draw for me is that it uses Terrinoth as the backdrop. I am a huge fan boy of Rune Wars....So anything that lets me play in that universe is a plus for me.

We'll I got to say I really enjoyed playing this game. It was simple to learn and we already want more scenario cards and factions. So far no Cons yet just Pros. Good job FFG! You scratched my table top itch.

It's pretty easy. It's very streamlined; which is good because dropping deployment decoys during setup can cause analysis paralysis for those who want to overthink. I love that all units have the ability to advance. Retreats and support are very easy now and promote a more proactive approach. The map tiles are huge. :D

BoW is arguably a more technical game, and people may prefer gathering orders from dice instead of cards, but I really like the way this turned out. Oh. Presentation is top notch. This game has me as excited now as Battlemasters did back in the day.

I'm enjoying BL2,I think it resolves some issues BL1 had & I like the fact FFG has given us

a solid Game World rather than BL1 rather vague background. The figures (IMO) are way cooler.

So as long as we get some Expansions to cover the other Terrinoth factions I see this as a Game

that will hit the table a lot. Hopefully if a Dwarf Army is produced they will not have clown shoes,

(Looking at you BL1 :angry: )

Are the dwarves present enough in other Terrinoth games to warrant a full faction? I've played Runebound, Rune Age(no expansion), and Descent, so my dwarf knowledge is limited to that. What kinds of units/abilities seem reasonable? Cannon artillery? Damage reduction? I'd say built in support, but that seems more relevant to an undead army.

Just adding 2cents. This game is fantastic. I haven't play any previous editions, or the other systems that it gets compared to. So, the system is completely new to me, and it is great fun. I've probably played a dozen or so games, and every game has been fun and competitive.

I'm already looking for expansions and updates, this has became one of my favorite games.

Pros: The pieces are cool, setup is relatively fast, it is easy to grasp the basics, and then tackle the intricacies as far as rules go. The lore cards are game changers. The oversized hexes are great to hold 3 smaller figures.

Cons: Lots of pieces to store. The terrain is only 'meh,' as far as how it looks. I also worry that the board will rip at the seams with frequent folding/unfolding, but haven't seen that happen yet. Oh, and the rivers look like a phallus.

Just adding 2cents. This game is fantastic. I haven't play any previous editions, or the other systems that it gets compared to. So, the system is completely new to me, and it is great fun. I've probably played a dozen or so games, and every game has been fun and competitive.

Cons: Lots of pieces to store. The terrain is only 'meh,' as far as how it looks. I also worry that the board will rip at the seams with frequent folding/unfolding, but haven't seen that happen yet. Oh, and the rivers look like a phallus.

In earlier editions, cavalry could be more abusive. That or everyone I know was playing the game wrong. :P The rules are pretty streamlined now, and mostly clear. The only problem I've come across is how to handle retreats when there are two clear paths which can be opposite a ranged attacker.

The terrain has looked roughly the same for all three versions. I liken the style to NES/SNES era RPG overworld terrain. I like it just fine. It's simple, and works with the simple rules for terrain. Storing the pieces has taken some finagling. If you fold up the insert and put the unit bags into the hollow spaces, storing is easier. I stand the hexes up and place them where the cards are meant to fit. I still have room for sleeved cards and the large units to go in the center recess. My only real gripe is with the roc warrior's gaps...unless I paint it. Oh, and I had to do a bit of 'modeling' to get the peg to fit up its butt.