Couple of rule clarifications (Warp Rift, Power cards, Psyker)

By DrenLithear, in Relic

Hello all,

Recently bought Relic and really enjoy it, but I would like to see if I can get some clarifications on some things.

1. During the Warp Rift when you are at the Scenario Card do you still follow the normal phase steps (movement, Exploration, Encounter, Experience). Or do you only get the Encounter phase.

This is to clarify for using power card abilities (ie. end of movement, end of experience, etc.)

2. When it says that power card number substitutions can only be used once per battle roll (page 16 rule book); If you use a No 6 power card, which explodes, can you use a second no 6 power card to cause it to explode a second time? Or do you have to roll a die because its the same battle roll.

3. In the three games what we've played with someone as the psyker, it seems they can quickly outpace most others in terms or leveling. Mostly, because they essentially are all but required to play a power card a turn; either playing high number cards for rolls or the card abilities.

Appreciate any info or input.

Hello all,

Recently bought Relic and really enjoy it, but I would like to see if I can get some clarifications on some things.

1. During the Warp Rift when you are at the Scenario Card do you still follow the normal phase steps (movement, Exploration, Encounter, Experience). Or do you only get the Encounter phase.

This is to clarify for using power card abilities (ie. end of movement, end of experience, etc.)

A bit late, but here is my take on it:

1. Not sure what you mean "during the warp rift". When you enter the inner tier, you move 1 space and you encounter the text box during your engagement phase. When you move to the scenario space, you encounter the scenario card in you engagement phase. When you are traveling through the inner tier, you have a movement phase. You move 1.

Once on the scenario space, you cannot move anymore (p.21):

"and you must resolve the scenario sheet's confrontation during your engagement phase each turn for as long as you remains on the scenario space. " (p 21).

2. When it says that power card number substitutions can only be used once per battle roll (page 16 rule book); If you use a No 6 power card, which explodes, can you use a second no 6 power card to cause it to explode a second time? Or do you have to roll a die because its the same battle roll.

As I understand it: no you cannot use a second power card, because that first power card you use for a Battle roll, and as you rightly pointed out, you cannot use a second card for a subsequent battle roll. So you have to roll a die. Otherwise it could unbalance a few of the character (I am looking at you psycher).

3. In the three games what we've played with someone as the psyker, it seems they can quickly outpace most others in terms or leveling. Mostly, because they essentially are all but required to play a power card a turn; either playing high number cards for rolls or the card abilities.

What's the question? Some people house rule the psyker by saying that Psykers cannot gain a Power card using his special ability if that would bring him over his limit, nor can he voluntarily discard Power cards unless they exceed his limit; he must use Power cards validly(for a battle/skill roll or special property). This is from zealot12 here:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/89381-house-rules/

The psyker can quickly get ahead, but I mostly play with 2-3 players and many times with new players. I generally steer new players toward the Ultramarines and the Inquisitor. These are 3 very good character which can deal with Corruption very well.

I hope this helps.

This is one of the points I'd like clarified in a FAQ if/when one comes out, as the rulebook is rather open to either yes or no interpretation.

"If a player substitutes a die roll with a Power card, it can

explode following normal rules (see “Exploding Dice” on

page 20). A player can substitute additional die rolls

caused by an exploding die with a Power card." (p. 16)

It mostly hinges on how you interpret a roll, whether original roll + explosion rolls are one roll or count as separate:

"A player cannot use more than

one power number as a substitute for a single movement,

battle, or skill roll." (p. 16)

"the die with a 6 result explodes, and the

player immediately rolls another die for each 6 result." (p. 20)

Seems rather convoluted if you could roll a 6, then Power Card a 6 for the explosion (or PC 6, then roll a 6), but couldn't Power Card 6 (explodes), Power Card 6. What about PC 6 (explodes), roll a 6, PC 6 for triple explosion?

Seems rather convoluted if you could roll a 6, then Power Card a 6 for the explosion (or PC 6, then roll a 6), but couldn't Power Card 6 (explodes), Power Card 6. What about PC 6 (explodes), roll a 6, PC 6 for triple explosion?

To me, this example would fall in the category of using 2 power cards for the same battle roll. Therefore it is not allowed.

As far as this is concerned:

If a player substitutes a die roll with a Power card, it can explode following normal rules (see “Exploding Dice” on

page 20). A player can substitute additional die rolls caused by an exploding die with a Power card." (p. 16)

It mostly hinges on how you interpret a roll, whether original roll + explosion rolls are one roll or count as separate:

I completely agree. The difference to me is the difference between "a die roll" and using "a power card". Die rolls are made with die and using power cards is... with a power card. So mechanically speaking, a player is using 2 different items.

i don't think that whether or not rolls count as separate is an issue. When you start your battle or test rolls, you may only use 1 power card per battle or test.

I believe that the die rolls are separate because a lot of wargear/allies allow you to re-roll a die roll. There is no wargear or relic that I know of that allow you to re-roll your "battle value roll". In which case, i would argue that if you could re-roll the "battle value roll" you could re-roll all the dice you rolled for that battle or test.

I have been playing Pathfinder the card game from Paizo recently. There is a lot of debate as to what represent a die roll in this game. Whilst the use of power cards may be convoluted in Relic, I am glad it is no way near as complicated as Patfinder.

In the end a game can be played whichever way players want. I have house rules for this game and I feel that using only 1 power card for a battle or test remains in the spirit of what the game is trying to achieve. Until we get Relic tournament with prize money, I think we can play the power cards however we want (within limits obviously).

I completely agree. The difference to me is the difference between "a die roll" and using "a power card". Die rolls are made with die and using power cards is... with a power card. So mechanically speaking, a player is using 2 different items.

See, whereas to me, they are interchangeable. For most rolls (excluding really board space rolls unless they are a skill test), you can sub a Power Card to "roll" a desired number. But either way, you rolled something.

Discussion about this on BGG from earlier (most seem to follow my line of thinking):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/959015/exploding-power-cards

If you want to send a question in to FFG (I'm too lazy, mostly 'cos Relic is not currently in my playing rotation :P / :( ), whichever way the answer goes, would be interested.