Winter Stark

By Dragon Striker, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

I feel the need to attempt to get somebody to play my stark deck in a tourney lol. It is based off a solid defense as its offense though it could have trouble against targaryen mainly with Dany's chambers being able to bring back black ravens against my whites but carrion birds can help solve that too by tossing them in the decks. Other than the battle for winter it seems to do quite well most the time.

Apparently having an agenda these days can be dangerous with the new CP that came out (not in the UK yet so i hear) but i think i still might keep it.

Here's the List if you want to try it for me.

House Stark

* - Unique

Characters: 32

*Ser Arthur Dayne x2

Bolton Refugee x3

*Hodor x1

*Cat o' the Canals x1 (maybe 2 your call)

*King Robb's Host x1

Carrion Bird x3

Ranger of Winter x3

Midnight Sentry x3

*Jeyne Westerling x1

*Mance Rayder x1

*Catelyn Stark x1

Vale Refugee x3

*Sansa Stark x1

*Shaggydog x1

*Maester Vyman x1

*Samwell Tarly x1 ( your call on 2)

*Ser Rodrik Cassel x1

*Jon Snow x1

*Old Nan x1

*Eddard Stark x1

*Robb Stark x1

Locations: 12

Great Keep x3

Godswood x1

Street of Steel (limit 1)

Street of Sisters (limit 1)

*Lord Eddard's Chambers x1

*Winterfell Castle x1

Northern fiefdoms x2

Narrow Sea x2

Attachments: 10

*Ice x2

*Needle x1 (use 2 if you have them imo)

War Horn x1

The Long Winter x1

Bodyguard x1 (eh your decision)

White Raven x3

*Nymeria x1 (Try 2)

*Needle x1 (once again 2 imo)

Events: 10

Fatal Counterattack x2

To Be a Wolf x3

Winter is Coming x2

Compelled by the North x2

Winter Reserves x1 (2 or more if you have them from the last CP)

Plots:

Fury of the Wolf

A Time For Ravens

Building Season

Summoning Season

Rains of Autumn

The Winds of Winter

Holding the Trident

Agenda- Kings of Winter ( obviously :P )

Main idea is to get samwell out if you don't have him but have ravens and vice versa. If it's winter, you should search for rangers of winter. The rest should be easy enough to put together i think. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Solid Defense is the best Offense.

*** Suggestions are always welcome.***

There is no extra worry about agendas these days (other than there punishment listed on the card, the if it is summer part). Also you don't need the winter agenda jsut becuase its winter. If you can absorb the 1 gold hit then its not a problem to leave in, but somehting to look at.

What you do need to worry about with the latest chapter pack are charcaters and locations that do not have your house affiliation on them.

I don't see what you mean i looked at the unaligned cards and the newest CP but there is nothingI haven't somewhat already faced, i.e. Supporting the Kingdom.

Can you clarrify?

Lars is primarily referring to Men With No King. They'll play a Reinforcements event, and still something big from you like Arthur Dayne, Mance Raider, etc. And there's nothing you can do about it if they have the gold to trigger the effect.

Without cancels in LCG many people are worried that this character has made playing big neutrals almost never worth the risk.

RJM said:

many people are worried that this character has made playing big neutrals almost never worth the risk.

any nuetral or out of house charcater or location. Dayne would hurt, so would Jon Snow, but so would a carrion bird, or any one of the streets.

Lars said:

RJM said:

many people are worried that this character has made playing big neutrals almost never worth the risk.

any nuetral or out of house charcater or location. Dayne would hurt, so would Jon Snow, but so would a carrion bird, or any one of the streets.

Yeah, hurt, but not as bad. If you're having to play the Reinforcement event yourself, that's 1G during challenges. Then the cost of the MwnK's action is another 2 gold. So thats 3G you've held aside. And you're paying it to steal a 1G character or 0G location? I'm still willing to play Carrion Birds and the Streets with MwnK in the field, on the chance I'll be able to kill or shut yours down before you can really make it worth your while.

Its only the single power characters and locations that really get hurt, like Arthur Dayne orJohn Snow, where you're getting your money's worth in one fell swoop.

lets just use this deck as an example. you decide to run it and risk keeping carrion bird and the streets in here. you spend 1 gold on white raven, and 1 gold on carrion bird. you also play lets say a street of sisters to reduce a pow icon by one.

I'll spend 2 gold (w/ retreat and regroup) to steal the street first turn. now next turn i have an additional 'gold' to spend and you are short 1 = +2 advantage to me i break out even for those two turns and am ahead +2 for each turn the game lasts and the street is on my side. Lets say you used your war horn on it next turn, i've still broke even and protected the locations that i built into my deck for an additional turn and cost you a location from your deck, card advantage to me.

next turn we both have claim 1 plots up i'll spend 3 gold (lets say i didn't draw my 2nd or 3rd R&R, but i got one of my rein character events, heck lets say i play missing recruit since i need the stealth against a stark deck in military) to steal your carrion bird. I'll then use the bird and the recruit to win a military challenge and make you kill one other character (you've now lost two and i've gained one = +3 character swing), and claim a power for renown. then i'll trigger my response to make it not be winter. For my 3 gold i've deprived you of 2 spent gold and 2 characters. I've also made it not be winter turning off a lot of your effects and given myself another extra gold (or made you spend 1 gold to make it winter again) so that for 3 gold i've 'cost' you at least 3 gold (1 for raven, 1 for bird, and the +1 i get back next marshalling or the 1 you play to replay raven).

All of the above takes place with me making use of a 4 for 5 military and power icon army that is helping me win either challenges or dominance.....

Its not an instant omphf or as obvious a loss as losing dayne of jon snow (especially with power on him) but it is still a risk that can seriously hurt you and only benifit me (if you think gold is an issue for MwnK run lannister and 5 gold plots, of which they get 3 which is more then any other house in LCG...). Now you can run your own MwnK and the game degrades into who triggers it on whose MwnK first or you can try glavewurm's suggestion of Too Proud to Bow which is resource instensive and not perminate. Or you could just take the streets and carrion birds out of your deck. Now i'm not saying i want all nuetrals and out of house out of decks, i'm just saying it MwnK almost forces it on you if you don't want to run MwnK.

Lars said:

I'll spend 2 gold (w/ retreat and regroup) to steal the street first turn. now next turn i have an additional 'gold' to spend and you are short 1 = +2 advantage to me i break out even for those two turns and am ahead +2 for each turn the game lasts and the street is on my side. Lets say you used your war horn on it next turn, i've still broke even and protected the locations that i built into my deck for an additional turn and cost you a location from your deck, card advantage to me.

next turn we both have claim 1 plots up i'll spend 3 gold (lets say i didn't draw my 2nd or 3rd R&R, but i got one of my rein character events, heck lets say i play missing recruit since i need the stealth against a stark deck in military) to steal your carrion bird. I'll then use the bird and the recruit to win a military challenge and make you kill one other character (you've now lost two and i've gained one = +3 character swing), and claim a power for renown. then i'll trigger my response to make it not be winter. For my 3 gold i've deprived you of 2 spent gold and 2 characters. I've also made it not be winter turning off a lot of your effects and given myself another extra gold (or made you spend 1 gold to make it winter again) so that for 3 gold i've 'cost' you at least 3 gold (1 for raven, 1 for bird, and the +1 i get back next marshalling or the 1 you play to replay raven).

Well thats true but you forget the responses i can use to oppose that plan. 1. If its winter i will generally have at least 1 ranger of winter out there and then for military if you did happen to steal a carrion bird I could easily lethal counterattack away both your army and my bird or i could say stand somebody with To be a wolf or block with just the ranger and play compelled by the north (winning if i have winds of winter out or winterfell castle or holding the trident with fewer characters). I haven't had the chance to run into that quite yet since the CP has only been out for a couple weeks and not many people play around here but i think i would find some way to get around it or deal with it.

As for taking out the carrion birds.... as you said the white raven is somewhat vital to my deck and if i did run against lan. or targ. w/ summer well... once i play my 3 white ravens and they play their third after i would be screwed ( though against Targ i would be a little screwed anyways with the i can bring back my ravens trick) but that also lowers my chances of drawing my refugees among event and attachments like needle or ice.