An Argument for Outcast.

By craftomega, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Looking at Outcast I have noticed a dissonance between the skills, aptitude and lore.

Why would an Outcast have social as an aptitude but have mainly agility and finesse based skills? Would it not make more sense to have the aptitude to be based on that as well; or at least an option for that?

Or to have skills that are more based on the social aspect?

With the recent addition to the Arbite option to choose between two talents I propose we do the same here.

I agree

It looks to me a bit like the outcast is supposed to cover 2 different concepts.

It looks like it's trying to be both a sneak and a con-artist.

Both covered by "Rogue" in D&D-and it's derivatives, which may be the origin of the mess.

Yeah, Outcast definitely needs more choices in terms of talents. It's currently the only option for people who don't fall within the other, Imperial categories, so it should be kinda flexible.

Edited by Tom Cruise

I don't really like that background is formed almost entirely of Adeptus Terra affiliations.

Certainly there are many other professions in the Imperium, from a saleperson in a merchant house to a rogue trader's clerk.

Sure, it must be general at this point in character creation, but just an enumeration of the monolithic Imperial organizations is perhaps not the best way to help a character portray identity.

I would recommend using a categorization of 'job type', with a listing of where they could be employed. A clerk could be Administrantum, or Mercantile Dynasty, for example.

It seems like there may have been a desire to introduce people quickly to the 40k setting in character creation-- but this shouldn't come at the cost of highly restricted character backgrounds.

You could keep the section almost the same: just add more diverse elements, and have the Adeptus Terra as examples of those elements.

Edited by The Inquisition

You could keep the section almost the same: just add more diverse elements, and have the Adeptus Terra as examples of those elements.

That's what I'm doing with my players right now. Adeptus Arbites is Adeptus arbites and any enforcer local organization, the same with Imperial Guard, who could be a proffesional mercenary or ex-member of a private army, etc.

That's what I'm doing with my players right now. Adeptus Arbites is Adeptus arbites and any enforcer local organization, the same with Imperial Guard, who could be a proffesional mercenary or ex-member of a private army, etc.

Many GMs would almost invariably have to do this, even with new players: you're almost always going to get someone who wants to play a 'tough merc', or 'foppish noble', or even local hospital nurse.

Eisenhorn's warband in the books had Harlon Nayl and Arianhrod, neither I would likely put as 'Outcast'-- both seem more suited to frontline Warrior roles rather than the Desperado/Assassin bent Outcast has.

Harlon's Bounty Hunter would likely be best suited to Arbite, but he's not an Arbite. Arianhrod has pretty much nothing since she's a swordswoman from an insular cult, on a possibly feral world. Some of the Outcast stuff fits (acrobatics, stealth, maybe Never Quit), but the rest doesn't.

Not to mention the term "outcast" itself not working so well for characters who don't want to play an outlaw.

Edited by The Inquisition