Increasing the usefullness of Leadership

By Covered in Weasels, in Game Mechanics

The Leadership aptitude seems to have limited usefullness. Possessing it only reduces the cost of the Command skill and two talents (Halo of Command and Contact Network, neither of which are game-breakingly strong anyway), putting it way behind aptitudes like Finesse, Fieldcraft or Social.

Several leadership-related talents (like Into the Jaws of Hell) existed in DH1, but they have been removed from this iteration of the beta. Honestly, I'm ok with this change -- I was somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of a "chief Acolyte" who assumed a leadership role within the group, and talents such as these encouraged that mentality. To me, the DH Acolytes are a team of equals who work together to thwart Chaos rather than a crew with a clear leader like a Rogue Trader party.

I propose that some Leadership talents be added to the beta under the guise of support abilities -- the character with the talents acts as an inspiration and spiritual advisor for the group rather than a leader. Effectively one Acolyte would take on a role similar to a Chaplain in a Space Marine squad; he would not command the other Acolytes but would bolster their faith and steel them against the terrors of the galaxy. These talents would not stack if another Acolyte purchased them to prevent balance issues.

Some possible talent effects are as follows:

• Whenever an Acolyte would gain Corruption/Insanity Points, he gains one less (minimum 1)
  • +10 to Pinning Tests, or reroll failed Pinning Tests
  • (high level) All Acolytes treat enemy Fear ratings as 1 lower than normal
  • Litany of Hate (why was this talent removed in the first place?)
  • A Rogue-Trader-like ability to give a single other Acolyte +10 to a single test once per round

With such a change, it might make sense to give Imperial Guard characters the choice between Fieldcraft and Leadership as a bonus aptitude. This way, you could make an IG Acolyte who was more charismatic sergeant than skilled veteran. Currently Fieldcraft is so good that there isn't much reason to do this, but I look foreward to the day where this will be an interesting decision.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Integrate the "Tactics" skill with Int / Leadership, and bring back some of the missing talents from DH1 with a Leadership aptitide: e.g. Iron Discipline & Into the Jaws of Hell

Nerves of Steel could also return and get a Leadership aptitude with some good will.

I agree that Leadership is currently the most underpowered aptitude out there and needs a buff.

I would certainly prefer more explicit or expanded Fellowship/Intelligence uses in combat, perhaps through available actions.

After all, tactical acumen and the ability to convey it to others are reasonably important even in brief firefights.

Perhaps rather than passive benefits, a Leadership talent could grant combat half-actions which can confer specific tactical bonuses to allies.

First thing first, make Leadership a little bit more frequent. as it now stands, there is only one (1) way to acquire it: with the Ministorum background. And it is kinda' ridiculous if you ask me.

Inquisitors also get it.

Inquisitors also get it.

I was talking about starting characters ;) .

Edited by AtoMaki

Integrate the "Tactics" skill with Int / Leadership, and bring back some of the missing talents from DH1 with a Leadership aptitide: e.g. Iron Discipline & Into the Jaws of Hell

Nerves of Steel could also return and get a Leadership aptitude with some good will.

I agree that Leadership is currently the most underpowered aptitude out there and needs a buff.

I will note that I dislike 'Into the Jaws of Hell', and sort of accord that level of 'steeling' ability to people like Lord Commander Solar Macharius and Living Saints.

Especially if used with the implementation of 'the commander ran like a screaming coward, but since I can see him I'm fine'.

Perhaps a talent like that could simply give an Acolyte the ability to 'snap an ally out of it' once per round as an action. Maybe free, or half. Presumably if he's not a quivering mess himself.

Edited by The Inquisition

Especially if used with the implementation of 'the commander ran like a screaming coward, but since I can see him I'm fine'.

Perhaps a talent like that could simply give an Acolyte the ability to 'snap an ally out of it' once per round as an action. Maybe free, or half. Presumably if he's not a quivering mess himself.

Ciaphas Cain Hero of the Imperium could do it ;)

Ciaphas Cain Hero of the Imperium could do it ;)

"The commander must be feigning terror to lull them into a false sense of security! Fight on!" :)

The Leadership aptitude seems to have limited usefullness. Possessing it only reduces the cost of the Command skill and two talents (Halo of Command and Contact Network, neither of which are game-breakingly strong anyway), putting it way behind aptitudes like Finesse, Fieldcraft or Social.

Several leadership-related talents (like Into the Jaws of Hell) existed in DH1, but they have been removed from this iteration of the beta. Honestly, I'm ok with this change -- I was somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of a "chief Acolyte" who assumed a leadership role within the group, and talents such as these encouraged that mentality. To me, the DH Acolytes are a team of equals who work together to thwart Chaos rather than a crew with a clear leader like a Rogue Trader party.

I propose that some Leadership talents be added to the beta under the guise of support abilities -- the character with the talents acts as an inspiration and spiritual advisor for the group rather than a leader. Effectively one Acolyte would take on a role similar to a Chaplain in a Space Marine squad; he would not command the other Acolytes but would bolster their faith and steel them against the terrors of the galaxy. These talents would not stack if another Acolyte purchased them to prevent balance issues.

Some possible talent effects are as follows:

• Whenever an Acolyte would gain Corruption/Insanity Points, he gains one less (minimum 1)
  • +10 to Pinning Tests, or reroll failed Pinning Tests
  • (high level) All Acolytes treat enemy Fear ratings as 1 lower than normal
  • Litany of Hate (why was this talent removed in the first place?)
  • A Rogue-Trader-like ability to give a single other Acolyte +10 to a single test once per round

With such a change, it might make sense to give Imperial Guard characters the choice between Fieldcraft and Leadership as a bonus aptitude. This way, you could make an IG Acolyte who was more charismatic sergeant than skilled veteran. Currently Fieldcraft is so good that there isn't much reason to do this, but I look foreward to the day where this will be an interesting decision.

Thoughts/suggestions?

The Command Skill already lets you give other players a +10 to a test once a round, and also lets you fight the effects of fear pretty hard.

If I was going to add a new talent, it would be one that buffs the command skill all around. It would give Inspire a +20 to their test, and count the Terrify user as Fear 2 for the purpose of using the skill.

A level 3 talent, with Leadership, and Willpower? Something like that.

give it 1 more skill (tactics) and 2-3 talents, then it should be fine.

And allow the Hierophant to choose between Social and Leadership for starting Aptitudes.

And allow the Hierophant to choose between Social and Leadership for starting Aptitudes.

Good idea.

I think leadership is ideal to get "aura" effect talents or special command talents to improve comrades.

@Felenis: Oh, I hadn't seen those rules in the Skills section. I'll have to go back and take a closer look at the Command skill :D

What do people think of the other talents I posted initially (reduce Insanity/Corruption gain, reduce enemy Fear rating, Litany of Hate)?

I like Litany of hate for its flavour. Would like to see it return