Some questions on Combat actions

By GauntZero, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Before giving feedback on the combat rules, I wanted to ask you guys a few things about rules I am not sure about how they have to be read:

1.) Feint & Maneuvre: can these be done in the same turn together with an attack ?

2.) Delay just needs a half action ? Is it possible to shoot in the first half action, then delay and shoot again a seconds split after your turn ?

3.) If guarded action gives a penalty to WS, is parrying also concerned RAW ?

Can I attack with the first half action and THEN take guarded action with the second one (so I completely avoid the penalty) ?

4.) what defence counts against the damage created by knockdown ? Are the +10 on top of the regular charge bonus if charging + knockdown ?

5.) If tactical advance allows a FULL movement, why should I ever make a regular full movement ?

Thanks for help.

1 - Does seem to be the way they work, as they don't have the attack subtype so there is nothing stopping you then attacking.

2 - Yeah, this does actually seem possible. It even says specifically on page 176 that Reactions with the attack or concentration subtype can be used with reactions even if during the characters turn they used an attack or concentration action, delay being a similar thing.

3 - The penalty is only during the characters turn. As you can't use reactions on your own turn, parry would be unaffected (other than the +10 to evasion outside of the turn). And yes, does look like you can just attack then guard, for no cost (other than the loss of the half action).

4 - The damage seems to be just normal Impact damage, so I guess it's resolved in the same way as normal. I'm not even sure how you're supposed to combine charging + knockdown as charging is a full round action that allows you to make a single +20 WS melee attack (not another melee action) at the end, so how do you add a knockdown. Assuming that it is intended you replace the melee attack with the knockdown (knockdown is certainly worded that way), the charge bonus is to WS and knockdown is a S check, so I doubt they would stack.

5 - Pretty much only when there isn't two pieces of cover to move between I guess.

Delay and guarded action makes me wonder if there is a rule we're missing/was removed that says you must make concentration actions on the first half action on the turn. Both those rules would make more sense if that was true.

thanks a lot !

1: makes sense to me - just wanted to be sure

2: sounds very much exploitable as it allows you effectively to make 2 attacks instead of 1 only. The first in your turn, the second a split of a second after your turn. Should be a full action maybe.

3: sounds also exploitable; should be forced to be the first action in a turn maybe

4: should get a clearification in the rules, like "can be combined with a charge action, but grants only +10 instead of the regular +30 for charging" or something like that

5: sounds strange; I'd prefer that tactical movement only grants a half movement as it takes more time to move carefully

The wording on Delay and Guarded Action definitely needs to be changed. The rules are indeed exploitable in their current state.

As for Tactical Advance, I think the name is somewhat misleading. When someone makes a Tactical Advance, I imagine them quickly dashing between pieces of cover so that enemies don't have a chance to shoot while they're out in the open. However, the name does imply something much more methodical.

Even if you run quickly, you still need more time as you need the correct timing.

Thats why I think a Full Move is too much.

The wording on Delay and Guarded Action definitely needs to be changed. The rules are indeed exploitable in their current state.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

The exact problems seem to be:

Delay:

> if using it as second half action, it is possible to:

- use delay without any downside (you get a flexible second half action whenever you like)

- if you use your first half action to attack, you could still also use your second delayed action to attack; this makes it exploitable as you can circumvent the 1 attack action per turn rule (by using it directly after your turn but before everyone elses turn)

Guarded Action:

> as far as I understood it, it grants you a defensive bonus for a offensive downside

> if taken as second action after your first one has been an attack, you can totally circumvent this downside and just get the bonus (that doesnt feel right at all)