Help me save my players!

By Adeptus Ineptus, in Black Crusade

A Demon Weapon doesn't need to be Wrought for Purpose or have a Legacy if your ritual skills are good enough.

You did many mistakes to put yourself in that situation.

He put a daemon into a flamer he just acquisitioned? Yeah, or not. How do you acquision a flamer that's wrought for purpose or has legacy of slaughter without your say-so? You can't.

Mostly by not double ckecking the rules as he made it I'm afraid. I'll blame LoC and screw him over later.

And it was a Multi-Melta with a Flamer of Tzeench in it.

Right. Not that it matters what daemon it is, seeing how most lesser daemons have no Infamy ratings and got 3 WPB.

In any case, you only have yourself to blame. Don't take it out on your players by screwing him over later. But next time someone wants to make a daemon weapon, you know what to do.

A Demon Weapon doesn't need to be Wrought for Purpose or have a Legacy if your ritual skills are good enough.

Yes it does. Read the bloody rules. Only weapons Wrought for Purpose, has Legacy of Slaughter (that's the sympatheric Legacy of Slaughter of the daemon weapon rules, not the Legacy out of ToB) or a Legacy weapon (out of ToB) can house a daemon as a daemon weapon. Doesn't matter how good you ritual skills are. If the weapon can't contain a daemon, it can't contain a daemon. That's why daemon weapons aren't a dime a dozen, like Legacy weapons are.

Edited by BrotharTearer

There's a whole section in there for 'Has never drawn blood' on the Demon Weapon chart.

I know my players enough to screw over their characters without upsetting them. As everyone had a good time I'm calling this a win but for those who want to know how I let this happen I work on the "All the rope you need" school of GMing and my players are what you see above.

Before anyone asks, yes they knew they could be looking at a TPK and were ready to roll up new characters at the start of the game and would have needed to if that was the way the game went. I was hoping to have somone else play the Damon Prince so DP and LoC would be able to surprise each other but he changed his mind.

There's a whole section in there for 'Has never drawn blood' on the Demon Weapon chart.

A wrought for purpose weapon that has never been used?

A wrought for purpose weapon that has never been used?

"Legacy of Slaughter: Weapon has never drawn blood - Gives -30 to modifiers"

Yes. Legacy of Slaughter weapons does not necessarily have needed to drawn blood. That's why it gives a large penalty. Because that doesn't make for the most optimal choice.

As an alternative to creating a weapon from scratch, an artisan may seek out a weapon which contains what sorcerers and dark scholars refer to as a “sympathetic emotional resonance.”

This means that the weapon itself has seen sufficient use in war and ritual, or has some particular connection to the daemon or its patron, to be powerfully charged with emotion to make it an ideal vessel for daemonic binding.

A weapon can be a Legacy of Slaughter (not ToB Legacy — the distrinction is problematic because people might think you're talking about an actual Legacy weapon) weapon without actually having been used for slaughtering anyone, but how likely that is falls upon the GM.

Without any clarification from the writers, I'm going to take the bit about finding Legacy of Slaughter weapons to specifically mean finding weapons that already have a 'body count.' It's possible to make a demon weapon out of any old weapon, the book says so, it's just hard that most people (i.e. those without a master Heretek's knowledge of demon crafting) find it basically impossible.

No. Just no. You're wrong. Read the bloody section again.

A weapon can have a “sympathetic emotional resonance” without a body count. The naming of that kind of weapon is just misleading (the part about " Slaughter").

If you assume someone could make a daemon weapon out of any weapon, anyone half-decent at F.Lore:D with an alright Willpower would be able to spit out daemon weapons like an assembly line. There's also no modifiers listed for weapons that's neither Wrought for Purpose or Legacy of Slaughter, in effect making every item out of the box a +0 modifer.

Just the ridiculousness alone should tell you that it ain't so.

Edited by BrotharTearer

The book explicitly says that any weapon can be made into a demon weapon, just that most crafters don't work that way. I could cite the page chapter and verse if you want.

And yes, it does mean that you can craft demon weapons pretty quickly, if you're willing to gain at least 2d5 corruption points (try to assembly line that and you'll become spawn in no time). And there's always the chance of cocking it up and suddenly demons.

I think they mean "any kind of weapon," not "every single weapon."

Yes, it's any sort of weapon. Not every single weapon in existence. What would be point of the crafting rules otherwise.