Plays like Magic?

By Mike, in CoC General Discussion

Or does it? What is a game of Cthulhu like?

Mike said:

Or does it? What is a game of Cthulhu like?

Initially, CoC reminded me of Magic. The resource mechanic is similar, though in many ways fastly different. The fact that you draw 2 cards instead of 1, and the fact that any card can be played as a "land" offers much more depth and strategy. Since your resources (the land-like element of this game) must be grouped on your domain, it means you have to plan out a little further. Then, since a lot of things happen in threes (you have 3 domains to choose for your resources) and there are 3 "combat zones" means that if you're used to Magic, it's like playing 3 games of Magic at once.

Another thing you'll notice as a difference is that the stack is used far, far less. This is compensated by the fact that your events (most like Sorceries) can be played at almost every point in the game, including your opponents' turn. This means that you can't just sit on your cards and wait until your opponent does something. You have to analyse the situation, find out what your opponent is up to and take more initiative. There are some cards that allow you to react, but it's not like they can Lightning Bolt your guy just as you try to "enchant" him with a neat gun. So, they either kill him or you get to hand out some upgrades.

It's not power vs toughness either. Each character has up to 4 different icons giving them abilities while "attacking" or "blocking" making the outcome more varried. And then there are some (partial) immunities to certain effects like Willpower (against insanity effects) or Toughness (against wounding.)

So, while you'll find some superficial similarities, there are a lot of differences and certainly a bigger emphasis on strategy. If you win or lose a game of CoC chances are you did something pretty good/awfully wrong. You can't blame mana-screw anymore unless you made your deck so that you have problems getting a resource match, and even then, that's pretty hard to do outside an almost all neutral deck.

I'm a long time MTG player, and was a COC CCG player for the bulk of it's run. In fact I jumped ship back when it was announced the game would start doing the Assylum decks. I will say this. The game is dripping with theme and any Lovecraft fan needs to try it. The Living Card Game style seems to be a really smart way for this game to be played, and I might be swayed to return because of it. It's a VERY fun game. In fact, I liked it far more than MTG, but could never find a friend to play with so when they changed things, I felt it was the perfect excuse to leave. The art, the game play, the resources... it's a brilliant game. It's pretty easy for a card game to mimic many of the grandfather MTG, but this is really quite satisfyingly it's own.

I wonder if this is a thread started to be able to claim more points?

Oh i don't know, I think it's a perfectly good question. A lot fo people play CCGs, but few want to stray from a game they know they can find people to play with. Now that this is non-collectible, it's a little more appealing to branch out.

Lars said:

I wonder if this is a thread started to be able to claim more points?

I wonder if this is a reply to be able to claim more points? ;)

nope if i was trying to get points i'd post a new thread as its worht a lot more.

Lars said:

nope if i was trying to get points i'd post a new thread as its worht a lot more.

Silly system if it promotes quantity over quality and you know, asking questions over actually answering them... Must be a fluke for a game company not getting their Game Theory right... Oh well...

This game has grabbed my attention manily because of the lack of annoying land cards (MTG)

Stupid evil draw 7 land cards...mumble...grrr

IA IA CTHULHU!

Gallagen said:

This game has grabbed my attention manily because of the lack of annoying land cards (MTG)

Stupid evil draw 7 land cards...mumble...grrr

IA IA CTHULHU!

If you're drawing 7 land... you're not building your decks right! :D

Yeah, the lack of "mana" is a plus to this game, and part of the struggle is trying to decide what to use as your resources. Sure there are ways to help that... and I'm sure a lot more since I've been out of the loop... but still... sometimes drawing cards you want to play but HAVE to use as a resource instead can be just as agonizing. :)

The transition resources add to that dynamic. they give you a third option of getting a second resource for one card (and thus lettingyou play a more expensive cost card that trun) for the cost of losing (essentially) a resource for the rest (barring other actions) of the game.

It is a fun resource systme that works for me, but i knwo a few thronsers who do not like it becuase it is taking away from the deck they built, etc.

I think this is a legitimate thread.

But I still could use some convincing! Compared to the Chaosium Mythos CCG, the mechanics don't seem Cthulhu-like, and Lovecraft had no factions. I often hear that this game is highly thematic, yet I've yet to read a review or comment explaining how, exactly, so.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

ced1106 said:

But I still could use some convincing! Compared to the Chaosium Mythos CCG, the mechanics don't seem Cthulhu-like, and Lovecraft had no factions. I often hear that this game is highly thematic, yet I've yet to read a review or comment explaining how, exactly, so.

Lovecraft does have some factions; The Yithians had a beef with the Dholes, The minions of Hastur has a beef with the Mi-Go and there are numerous sides often going for the same goals; But always with the same result: Some human stumbles on the struggle or the goals of... something, and loses out in the crossfire. Call of Cthulhu LCG is not only a cardgame of the books, but also of the RPG by Chaosium. It's a cosmic game of chess where you try to control the outcome of stories, and a tool to create a narrative with your opponent.

Being a game, it means it's more two-fisted pulpy then the books of Lovecraft himself; But a game about some people sending increasingly more disturbing letters to each others would be a tad boring... ;)

You'll find (mostly) beautiful depictions of most of the heroes and horrors mentioned in the stories, the chance to lead a Mi-Go expedition getting into trouble with Deep Ones and...

Well, just try it. The Eldritch Edition Premium Starter is going very cheap in the winter sale thing, and should have everything you need to take the risk of having an "in" into the game.

I was wondering the same thing. MtG drove me away from CCGs (or rather my large CC bills did). When FFG announced the Living Card Game version of CoC, I started getting interested again. And the first question for someone who hasn't played a CCG in a while would be "Does it play like Magic?"

ced1106 said:

Well for me it's the Story Cards Struggle system. When walking into a battle, the characters basically confront the opponant as though they would in a realistic situation... Starting with being driven insane by the horror before you, then if you survive that you go in all guns blazing, then the Arcane Magiks effect what's left, leaving those with the most skillful group able to find clues (successes) that benifit your goals (winning the game)... I think it's pretty darn clever personally, and the one thing that kept me playing as long as I did. Of course, once you've had the most success at a certain location, you get to reap the rewards of what has been discovered.