Modular Psychic Powers.

By Adeptus Ineptus, in Game Mechanics

Last time I posted this I get a lot of "this is a nice idea" but no how to make it work feedback which I put down to not posting a system when I started the thread.

In RT the Psychic Powers felt like you were learning how to do new tricks with your power with the modifier increasing as a power got more complicated. With this in mind why not take it a step further by making a list of the most basic things each power can do and building Psychic Powers up from there?

As I see it the basics are:
Telepathy, Read thoughts, send thoughts.
Telekinesis. Moving stuff (that's is).
Divination. Dowsing (leading to remote viewing), aura sight, fate and luck stuff.
Pyrokinetic. Make fire, control fire.
Biomancy. Um? help me internet.

When you roll to manifest you compare you roll to both manifest (at +5 per PR after PR1) and risk (starting at +40 with -10 per PR after PR1) if you fall your risk roll then you have to check for perils if the gap between the tens and the units on the manifest roll is equal or less than your DoF, if you pass on risk then the player may modify any perils roll by DoS-PR (inspired by BC Gift of the gods modified by Infamy Bonus.) This way a high PR is more likely to both make the power work and let the warp leak though.

I also think it would help to have some way to increase your skill in individual disciplines as I find it hard to believe that reading minds is the same skill as controlling fire. I'm calling this Discipline Training and it affects both risk and manifesting.

The Telepathy powers are read thoughts and send thoughts. If we assume read lets you hear suffice thoughts (10 meters per PR) and send lets you use words rather than just feelings (again 10 meters per PR) at 200 XP each. Increased range x10 (-10 to manifest, double any risk penalty from add ons, 200 XP needs PR 3), influence emotion (-10 risk, 300 XP needs PR 2 and send thoughts), jedi mind trick (-10 manifest, -10 risk, 500 XP needs influence emotion, PR 3 and Discipline Training (Telepathy) 1), puppet (-20 manifest, -10 risk, 750 XP needs mind trick and PR 5), mind probe (-10 to risk, 300 XP needs PR 2)

The Psychokinetic power has make fire and control fire (10 meters per PR). I think both are worth 100 XP each. From here a fire ball (200 XP needs both), heat ray (-10 manifest, 300 XP, double range needs fire ball, Discipline Training (Psychokinetic) 1, PR 2), melta (-20 manifest, -10 risk, 500 XP, half range, melta needs heat ray, Discipline Training (Psychokinetic) 2, PR 4), explode (-10 manifest, -20 risk, Blast equal to PR, 500 XP needs PR 5)

Telekinesis lets you move up to 5kg per PR with a range of 5 meters per PR for 200 XP. Bolt (100 XP) double range (-10 manifest, 100 XP), crush (200 XP needs PR 2), TK weapon (200 XP needs bolt and PR2), double lifting stangth (+10 risk 300 XP needs PR 4)

In Play. Bob has Willpower 50 and is in a cage. The keys are 12 meters away. Bob uses Telekinesis at PR2 with double range so he is rolling at -5 to manifest (+5 for PR2 -10 for double range) and +30 to risk (+40 -10 for PR2). He rolls 22 and so he can get the keys and modify his perils roll by 4 (6 DoS on risk -PR2)

I think I have the +/- on risk the right way round. Any feed back?

Biomancy. Um? help me internet.

Mind-over-body.

Blame george Lucas for the biolightning/smite.

That is an odd power. I have some idea what to do with it but I did the easy ones first.