Hand of Dust vs. Special Items/Weapons/Armours

By StoneyBlackAxe, in WFRP Rules Questions

Hey everyone, Long time viewer, First time Poster :D

Quick question. As the title of my topic suggests, I want to know if the 'Hand of Dust' action card affects Special Items/Weapons/Armours.

I have a group that has been dungeon crawling, killing zombies, skeletons, and all manor of undead goodies. I have not put them up against my Epic Necromancer yet. He is also going to be a nemesis character.

< I know, I am evil >.

He plans on using everything against them once he see's them. One of his more basic cards though seems to me to be the best in the bunch. 'Hand of Dust'.

I have an Ironbroken, a SwordMasterbater, and a Sigmar Priest in the party, The rest of the party are not really targeted for this question.

Can I use the Hand of Dust on the Ironbroken's Gromil Armour?

Can I use it on the SwordMasterbator's Greatsword of Hoeth?

Can I use it on the Sigmarites Blessed Warhammer?

Or do these items get an exemption from that action card?

For those of you who don't know it, the card can make an item become poor if is succeeds, an item will lose 1 soak point if I get two Boons, and if I get a Sigmars Comet, it will be destroyed.

Thank you to all who may reply, and to those who do not reply, may nurgle rot your testicles. :D :D

I would TOTALLY allow it to be allowed on those items. Maybe give them the "damaged" condition and require the player to pay for the fix, and/or have obligation to their clan if they get it fixed at a reduced rate. With armor, I take off a couple points at a time (same for sword). Once they're down to zero, it is destroyed.

You can see how weapon/armor damage works in my campaign in my house rules. Maybe take a look at the Gold wizard's "make whole" spells to repair things as well and let them know that it's just another service..wounds, insanity, broken weapons/armor, permanent injuries, disease, curses, mutations, shame! Oh the shame!

Normal items should get destroyed left and right. Special items, like these, should get an extra round and I'd just make them weaker.

I COMMONLY damage items when people get chaos stars. My players carry extras and actually have to occasionally loot bodies for swords and whatnot (like in actual fantasy novels!).

Another tip: Try to destroy shields before doing the death blow on an already damaged item.

Then bring in an rust monster from D&D. Can you imagine what an ironbroken player would say?!?! IT would be HILARIOUS! Actually, that gives me an idea for an encounter under Karak Azgal...

devil.gif

jh

Edited by Emirikol

The way I see it, The Gromril Plate and the Greatsword are items given to a player as a Career item, they cannot be sold or traded. If you managed to damage those items, they should have a way of getting them repaired back to normal, as long as they still have access to that Career's card, for example they either are still in that Career, or they purchased the dedication bonus for that Career.

Now the fact that my Character is an Ironbreaker (Not Ironbroken), in no way sways my opinion.

I loved playing the Ironbreaker in BFP. I was the last one to die the glorious death (unless the unconscious priest of sigmar that I hid inside of a coffin managed to live ;)

jh

I think it would be too harsh to have such special items destroyed - all others should crumble to dust!

I like the idea of them having a HIGH upkeep cost. Yes, cause damage to them regularly, and then make the player pay to fix them up.

Is there such a thing as putting a RUNE on Gromril armor?

jh

Hey everyone, ...*snip*...

Can I use the Hand of Dust on the Ironbroken's Gromil Armour?

Can I use it on the SwordMasterbator's Greatsword of Hoeth?

Can I use it on the Sigmarites Blessed Warhammer?

Damaging and destroying special items like an Ironbreaker's armour or a Swordmaster's blade... that's pretty harsh.

On the one hand, those items are stupidly good and overpowered and the armor in particular was a bit much for a starting character - what were they thinking?!

On the other hand, you're effectively stealing from the player an item that they saved up 11 sessions of XP to get (effectively, because that's how much it cost to get career completion and dedication so they could keep the item card regardless of what other careers they went into). Expect some really upset PCs over that, possibly really upset players. The ironbreaker would almost have to go Trollslayer after disgracefully losing their precious gromril. The sigmarite's hammer is less an issue than the other two, because they probably didn't build their entire character from day 1 around having that hammer.

Still, it seems pretty harsh to me.

One could certainly argue that this kind of harshness is very much keeping in the tone of a game where characters can lose limbs, mutate, or die from the galloping trots the morning after they contract it. So, if you're already using Severe Wounds, Corruption, and Disease mechanics, and your players are fine with all that danger, you might be able to get away with wrecking their toys without any hard feelings. If you've shied away from any of those mechanics in the past because your players didn't think they sounded like fun, then don't suddenly up the ante now.

Certainly, if you're going to permanently wreck someone's high-value item, it's probably a good idea to foreshadow the possibility. Perhaps the day before the climactic confrontation, have the bad guy kill an NPC they know. The PCs find their friend's body, and note that his prized possession is on the corpse but inexplicably corroded and barely recognizable. At least then they won't be surprised and feel they had no warning.

Remember this isn't D&D where everyone realizes 9th level spells are out there and you'll eventually have to save-or-die. The players probably haven't read the spell listings in the creature guide and have no idea their precious gromril et al could ever be imperiled. If you blindside them, it may not go over so well.

Alternately, you might treat it like the Knight and Outrider's special horses (see their cards for details). In a nutshell: if the item gets wrecked, they lose access to it for a week or two until they can find, and get accustomed to, a replacement.

Is there such a thing as putting a RUNE on Gromril armor?

Yep. The dwarf book specifically mentions that Gromril armour is special enough to hold a Rune even if it doesn't technically have the "Superior Quality" trait. Buh-roken!