Close range

By HashKey64, in WFRP Rules Questions

Hey folks!

About movement and engaging the enemy/friends.

Move to "within Close range" = 1 Manoeuvre

Engage opponent = 1 Manoeuvre

so...

Move to "within Close range" and Engage opponent = 2 Manoeuvres?

Disengage opponent = 1 Manoeuvre

Moving to Close range = 1 Manoeuvre

so...

Disengage opponent and Move to Close range = 2 Manoeuvres?

Move within Close range = 1 Manoeuvre?

(whats the point of this with abstract placement?)

If a PC leave his own group to charge a group of NPCs at Close range and the NPCs wish to disengage to attack the main PC group they have to perform 3 Manoeuvres?

Can anybody confirm this? I read the rules and they seem contradicted sometimes.

Edited by HashKey64

Disengage guy who charged = 1

already at close, so close to engage new group = 1

2 total

The GM would have to rule how many npcs would need to bother disengaging b/c it's not like the PC can threaten them all.

jh

I will try to clarify myself. :)
What I'm really getting is this... back to my PCs/NPCs example above with two groups at Close range apart:

The PC Disengage his fellow PCs: 0

The PC moves to Close Range: 1

The PC Engages the NPCs: 1

Total: 2

The NPC Disengage the PC: 1

The NPC moves to Close Range: 1

The NPC Engages the PCs: 1

Total: 3

Because the NPCs now are engaged it is more expensive for them to get over to the PCs. This is how I interpret the Rulebook. But I'm not sure about this.

You write that moving to Close and Engaging as 1 Manouevre - which I've faintly remember reading somewhere (but can't remember where). But if that wording exist - the rules set are in contradiction I believe.

Edited by HashKey64

Are your groups at medium range from each other? There would be a cost to go from medium to close, but not to go from engaged at close when they're already at close.

When you list it it should read:

Pc disengages from his own fellows 0

PC moves from Close to engage the NPC's: 1

Total: 1

NPC is now engaged with PC.

NPC disengage PC: 1

NPC moves from Close to Engage the PC's: 1

jh

Haha... I come out as a really lazy reader! :)

Yeah, I get it now... when I read "within Close range" in the rulebook - I always thought that was another range band.

Like: Extreme, Long, Medium, Close, within Close, Engaged

I see that is not the case!

By the way... I think it is too easy for Monsters and NPCs to get extra Manoeuvres when they can take Wounds as a penalty. Monsters/NPCs can move at rocket speeds when the PCs can't. It would be better to only allow extra Manoeuvres when they spend Aggression or forsake their Action. I find it kind of game breaking.

Edited by HashKey64

Combat certainly is dangerous in WFRP3 :)

Monsters taking wounds just to run an extra range band, especially in the Day Late, Shilling Short scenario really was tough on the monsters.

I suppose it depends on how mean your GM wants to be.

So just to clarify for myself-

If two group members are engaged with say- 3 Ungor Henchment. Another group member is within close range. One of the group members chooses to use his manoeuvre to disengage. Does he join the other group member at close range?

Edited by Tidomann

No.

He is at close range to the engagement he just left but he is not engaged with the other group member, it would take another manoeuvre to enter into the third group member's engagement.

It does not cost a manoeuvre to engage an ally. If one of the players chose to disengage the enemy he could choose to be next to the player at close range, or at some other spot at close range. At least that is the way I run it, and I think the book states that engaging an ally is free.

Look at the card Ironclad and Unstoppable, as it describes you can move through enemies and attack as if you are not engaged with them, I think that is how allies are treated.