Stock Y-Wings

By Lord Zack, in General Discussion

I'm trying to figure out what stats Y-Wings would have wothout the common modifications they recieve. Original Y-Wings are supposed to have additional plating, which was removed to increase performance. This would seem to equate to a higher handling modifier, but would there be any downsides? A lower armor or hull trama perhaps? Also if the PCs happened to obtain stock Y-Wings how hard would it be to modify them to the more common specs? Seems mostly a matter of tome and a fairly easy check to me.

Also does anyone have any opinions on how the BTL-B midel usef during the Clone Wars would differ fron the later models?

I'm trying to figure out what stats Y-Wings would have wothout the common modifications they recieve. Original Y-Wings are supposed to have additional plating, which was removed to increase performance. This would seem to equate to a higher handling modifier, but would there be any downsides? A lower armor or hull trama perhaps? Also if the PCs happened to obtain stock Y-Wings how hard would it be to modify them to the more common specs? Seems mostly a matter of tome and a fairly easy check to me.

Also does anyone have any opinions on how the BTL-B midel usef during the Clone Wars would differ fron the later models?

make handling one worse, and armor one higher, and add a black die to repairs without a crane, if the plating is in place, I'd say.

YMMV. More than 1 point of armor would be too much.

Based on my understanding and reading of various EU sources, the plating on the Y-wing wasn't armored, it was merely cosmetic. It was often removed to improve ease of access for maintenance, not for any performance increases.

Reading the rule book it sounds like the plating is cosmetic not structural so no modifications would be required. If your group feels it should count as armour then feel free to modify Y-wing stats accordingly. Aramis' suggestions seem reasonable.

Well FFG makes a lot of mistakes in there descriptions of vehicles and such, it seems this might be one of them. According to the Essential Guide to Warfare and others sources the modifications were made to increase the performance

According to the Essential Guide to Warfare and others sources

Thats EU crap. Don't worry about it. LucasDisney won't.

Lucasfilm doesn't give, and has never given, the slightest rats ass what the EU says.

Edited by ErikB

Well FFG makes a lot of mistakes in there descriptions of vehicles and such, it seems this might be one of them. According to the Essential Guide to Warfare and others sources the modifications were made to increase the performance

Ah, now I know where the confusion is coming from. The specific example given in The Essential Guide to Warfare refers to the BTL-B Y-wing , which was created for and introduced by The Clone Wars Animated Series and is dubiously canon. (Seriously, watching that show gives you the impression that the writers either had no knowledge of or respect for Star Wars continuity, or the universe in general. Ah, but that's an axe best ground somewhere else...)

Basically, the entry in The Essential Guide to Warfare was a Band-Aid that tried to patch over the huge continuity mess created by the The Clone Wars. One of the authors of the book had some interesting "footnotes" about that section of the book on his blog . From Wookieepedia :

Because of the conflict in continuity between the Y-Wing's appearance in the new Clone Wars series and its history prior to the aforementioned Clone Wars series, Jason Fry attempted to combine the different sources neatly in the Y-Wing's sensor profile in The Essential Guide to Warfare .

The Y-wing presented in Edge of the Empire is a BTL-A4 or BTL-S3. On those particular models, the hull plating is almost entirely cosmetic and almost always permanently removed.

a Band-Aid that tried to patch over the huge continuity mess created by the The Clone Wars.

Ain't no conflict at all if you do what Lucasfilm does and ignore all the EU crap...

How's about you get out of my thread ErikB? I have no interest in your ranting.

If it is for ease of maintenance, that would at least be more than simply for aesthetics, so that make sense. Why bother having the extra plating if it doesn't add any extra protection and yet is probably going to have to be replaced?

Edited by Lord Zack

If it is for ease of maintenance, that would at least be more than simply for aesthetics, so that make sense. Why bother having the extra plating if it doesn't add any extra protection and yet is probably going to have to be replaced?

On a desert world, you might need the dust filters on the coolant sinks, but probably not the moisture seals over the refrigerant pump. On an ocean planet a full spray on anti corrosion treatment will do as good a job as the plating but without the hassle. Space based squadron?just put some 14 gauge plating over the ion couplers to protect them against micrometeors the rest of the plating wasn't rated for micrometeors anyway because the individual components already are...and so on

Edited by Ghostofman

I'd suggest leaving the panels off shortens the working life of the spaceframe considerably, but that doesn't really bother the Rebels who are more concerned with getting their fighters back in to space Right Now than that the ships will fatigue out in several thousand flying hours less than if they took the time to refit the panels before each sortie.

Edited by ErikB

The whole Star Wars universe is fiction. It is full of "errors" and contradictions. Even in the original trilogy there are some very big WTf moments moving from New Hope to Return of the Jedi. Not to mention the changes Lucas made re-editing with each release.

Who is to say that the Essential Guide has it right? In FFG's game what FFG says is "right". After all if you want to be pedantic about what is "right" in Star Wars large portions of R2-D2 are made of wood. I have seen the film unit in person and can confirm this.

The idea has been put forth in some sources that Jawas hang amber glass beads in veils over their faces. Why? Because this is how the costumes were constructed. There actually is a photograph showing a Jawa's face, they do not wear black veils. The veils and beads are to give the impression of a cowl over dark skin with glowing eyes quickly and cheaply.

Want another canonical error? Leia tells Luke she remembers their mother. How when Padme died giving birth to them?

Want another canonical error? Leia tells Luke she remembers their mother. How when Padme died giving birth to them?

I figure Leia just expressed her Force sensitivity in a different way than Luke did.

I'd suggest leaving the panels off shortens the working life of the spaceframe considerably, but that doesn't really bother the Rebels who are more concerned with getting their fighters back in to space Right Now than that the ships will fatigue out in several thousand flying hours less than if they took the time to refit the panels before each sortie.

That makes some sense. I could also see the removal of the panels hurting atmospheric handling, but it's not really any less aerodynamic than most SW craft. I see it like a Saturn (car) where there's not really any reason you have to keep the plastic body panels on over the metal if you don't want to.