New Fulcrums...

By Junglecat, in Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game

...by YOU! Sorry to get you so excited. No, FFG isn't making new stuff. But now that the final cards have been released, we find ourselves wanting more fulcrums. My friend suggested that before our next Cataclysm night, each of us does some homework and create 3 new fulcrums. We will get together and discuss them. Then we'll choose the top 3 or so based on balance and fun factor and add them to the game. Instead of shuffling, we'll make a chart with a die-roll to select the next fulcrum that enters play.

I thought I would put forth the idea to the best and brightest minds in the Warhammer: Invasion community to see if they could come up with some good ideas. And then I could STEAL those ideas in order to cheat on my homework assignment! I would of course be forthcoming as to where I stole my fulcrums ideas from.

I have until January 6th to complete my fulcrum assignment. So how about it people? Care to share your fulcrum ideas?

aaaannnnd....BEGIN...

Good idea. Looking forward to seeing the results. Our group hasn’t yet played enough in the Cataclysm format to have decent input.

Well, it looks like no one is going to help me with my homework assignment. I finally had a little free time so I started coming up with some of my own. "...," will stand for "Forced: when this fulcrum is channeled,"

Also, as I am for the most part unfamiliar with Warhammer lore, I will give these fulcrums titles of varying degrees of nonsense.

1. Tower of Babylon - 1D (Dominance)

..., destroy target support card of equal or lesser cost then the printed cost of unit channeling here. Then, deal 3 uncancellable dmg to the channeling unit.

2. The DMV - 1D

..., if the unit channeling here has a printed cost of 5 or more, destroy every unit in play with a printed cost of 2 or less.

3. Bartertown - 1D

..., destroy the unit channeling here. Then, remove this fulcrum or another unchanneled fulcrum in play and replace it with a 1 Dominance fulcrum of your choice from the fulcrum deck.

4. Your Ex Wife - 1D

..., search your deck for a card, reveal it, then add it to your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

5. Just a little spittle - 1D

..., Target player shuffles the top 4 cards of his discard pile back into his deck.

6. Sally Two-Trees - 1D

..., search your deck for a quest card and play it for no cost into your quest zone. Then, shuffle your deck.

That's it for now. I'd be interested to hear people's feedback and see other people ideas for new fulcrums...

Edited by Junglecat

Some very powerfull game changers there :mellow:

I was thinking of a few in work and here are some of the ones I remember:

1D: Draw a card for each Loyalty of the unit that channels this Fulcrum.

1D: At the end of the turn sacrifice the unit channelling here and exchange this Fulcrum with any Fulcrum in play.

1D: Forced: Play with the top card revealed. You may play this card as if it was in your hand.

1D: If this Fulcrum is channelled, each player loses a Dominance token (if able). At the end of the turn sacrifice the unit channelling here.

:)

I dig these ideas. Especially the last one. Thanks for sharing.

1D: Forced: Play with the top card revealed. You may play this card as if it was in your hand.

I see some pigeon bombs on the horizon. ;)

On the contrary I don't like it because it just prolongs the game :P

You could be right Gnomeschool, however that card (and others like it) need errata stating 'once per turn' on them anyhow to stop them cursed combo decks.

Great point, however the player controlling it could prolong victory next turn to another player...That was my thinking anyhow :)

Great point, however the player controlling it could prolong victory next turn to another player...That was my thinking anyhow :)

Could certainly prolong the game. But I've heard a fair number of people say that their games go too fast. Thankfully, my group only ran into that problem once. Also, if you're in last place, prolonging the game is a very good thing. It drastically increases your chances of winning.

Could certainly prolong the game. But I've heard a fair number of people say that their games go too fast. Thankfully, my group only ran into that problem once. Also, if you're in last place, prolonging the game is a very good thing. It drastically increases your chances of winning.

The games we play do go far too fast with players grabbing Fulcrums by turn 2.

We are lucky to get 5/6 rounds in before a winner is determined.

I am not dissing it but the last recent games we played we began with 3 and raced to 10.

I suppose some house rules could fix this and I would be interested to hear what other players have implemented.

We played Cataclysm last night and had a blast! I came up with some ideas for fulcrums, which have yet to be tested. Some of them are just slight variations of Junglecat and meggypeggs’ ideas. I think fulcrums should be simple, yet forcing tough, tactical choices. I’m not very knowledgeable about Warhammer lore, but I tried giving them appropriately corny names.

Ancient Mines of Mount Gunbad - 1D
Action: While this fulcrum is channeled, reveal an attachment support card from your hand with printed cost X and deal X uncancellable damage to channeling unit. Then attach the revealed card to target unit in your battlefield, if able. (Limit once per turn).

Rune Carved Rock - 1D
Forced: When this fulcrum is channeled, the unit channeling here redirects the next 2 damage to another target unit.

The Forbidden Pool - 1D
Forced: When this fulcrum is channeled, reveal the top 10 cards of your deck. If a quest is revealed put it into play at no cost into your quest zone, if able. Then, shuffle your deck.

Celestial Dragon Monastery - 1D
Forced: When this fulcrum is channeled, target opponent puts the top 3 cards of his discard pile on the bottom of his deck.

Haunted Forest - 1D
Forced: When this fulcrum is channeled, put the top card of your deck into you battlefield as a development.

Arcane Rift - 1D
While this fulcrum is channeled, all players play with the top card of their deck revealed. If revealed card is a tactic card, it may be played as if in owners’ hand. If played, put that tactic on the bottom of its owner's deck.

Heart of Mount Thug - 1D
While this fulcrum is channeled, all units you control get -1 hit points and gain Toughness 1

The Black Fortress - 1D
Forced: When this fulcrum is channeled, draw X cards, where X is the power of the unit channeling here. Then discard X cards.

Lair of the Great Maw - 1D
Forced: When this fulcrum is channeled, remove an unchanneled fulcrum from play if able and replace it with a new fulcrum from the fulcrum deck (if a player controlled the fulcrum, that player takes controls of the new fulcrum).

The Black Fortress - 1D

Forced: When this fulcrum is channeled, draw X cards, where X is the power of the unit channeling here. Then discard X cards.

From where? :P

The Black Fortress - 1D

From where? :P

I tried following the wording from similar cards. I would say that neither draw nor discard could be misunderstood, but I suppose you could change the wording to “When this fulcrum is channeled, you draw X cards from your deck, where X is the power of the unit channeling here. Then you discard X cards from your hand into your discard pile” though I would think that redundant.

By the way, looking foward to seeing what you guys come up with in terms of updating the FAQ and keeping the game alive in general.

Edited by KurganDK

We have a regional tournament on 18th January and the first version of the FAQ will be out before it.

I'm digging those ideas Kurgan. And liking the names, too.

We have had the same problem with quick games. Once someone is on top it's hard to reverse. We house rule to 10 dominance - which usually allows for a regroup and stops players leaping in too early.

I like some of the new card ideas - perhaps we could have a 'print on demand' release??!!??

Monday, 2 of my friends and I had a chance to try out some of my homebrew fulcrums In a few Cataclysmic conflicts. Tower of Babylon from post #3 - didn't get channeled when it was out...although it could've by one of my opponents a couple of times which would've really hampered me. We'll need to see this one get channeled a few times before making any final judgements on this one.

Sally Two Trees - We all thought that this fulcrum was a great addition to the fulcrum deck.

Matt in the group came up with one that lets you borrow a unit in any discard pile for the rest of the turn when channeled. The borrowed unit can't cost more than the channeling unit, it must go into your battlefield zone, it returns to the discard pile from which it came at the end of the turn, and the channeling unit is sacrificed at the end of the turn unless you spend 1 resource to save him. It sounds like a lot of restrictions but found that it was well worth it many times in the game without being overpowered. This one gets our enthusiastic approval.

We also got bit by the quick game bug this night. It was a nice change of pace to be able to get 3(!) games in just over 4 hours - and that includes a few breaks for smokes and drink making. The next day I was pondering why that nights games seemed to go so much quicker than usual and figured out the factors involved. We usually play with at least one of the following fulcrums...

Dreadfire Portal - destroy the unit channeling here to steal a dominance from target player. We zealously stop the player in the lead from getting/holding this fulcrum and use it to neuter him.

Magewrath Throne - you know, everybody's favorite where you lose a dominance when you gain it but gain 2 every time you're holding it at the end of the turn. We happily let the highest dominance player grab it as long as he isn't last in the turn order and then all work together to make sure he loses it before the end of the turn.

Also in these games, not a single zone got burned. Very unusual for our group. On the last game night, every player had 2 zones burning at game end and one player lost all of his zones. Losing those dominance when one of your zones burns makes a difference. I think a big factor in no burning zones this night was the fact that unlike usual, none of us were using Chaos or Orcs.

Edited by Junglecat

I am not dissing it but the last recent games we played we began with 3 and raced to 10.

I suppose some house rules could fix this and I would be interested to hear what other players have implemented.

Invasion is just a fast game, and Cataclysm is even faster. I looked at the speed as a feature, not a bug, though. If I wanted to play something longer, I'd go for Netrunner or Call of Cthulhu. Before playing Cataclysm, I was afraid that, with four players, it would be too long. I was gratified that it was so quick and fun.

Invasion is just a fast game, and Cataclysm is even faster. I looked at the speed as a feature, not a bug, though. If I wanted to play something longer, I'd go for Netrunner or Call of Cthulhu. Before playing Cataclysm, I was afraid that, with four players, it would be too long. I was gratified that it was so quick and fun.

Skwizzle, let me be the first to say that we (our group) have been playing the rules wrong and intend on playing them correctly next time our gaming group meets up.

Little embarrassing to say the least but best to be honest :wacko:

Though interesting to see on Winvasion that most players think games go to fast.

Pigeon Bombs are one of the least abusive possibilities there, since they got errataed to be limited.

Barbed Snares on the other hand... it's a milling nightmare.

These are wonderful !

Thank you for posting the link from Boardgamegeek to this FFG. I was not aware of this until I read your post.