A Unified System

By Durandal7, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

While I am all for having a consistent rule-set throughout the 40k RPG universe, I think that each setting should still keep its own 'main' book. The character creation for each set, even the ones that are following similer rules. In such main books you can keep like it is now, the specilized creation for each set, armories, psychic powers, and all the basic setting information. Then the expanded books for each setting fitting that theme, but can be crossed over easily to other settings, like tempting that acolyte or marine with a nice powerful ( corrupted Black Crusade ) weapon >:3

Edited by Moonshine Fox

This is a Straw man argument Raven. The only rules that got completely "Dropped" from DH2 were action points and Narrative damage. Everything else has just been refitted into the current system.

Umm, what? Did we read the same PDF? There are several threads asking FFG to bring back thing X that was in the original beta that got dropped.

Indeed there are. I'm not debating that! A also know you and I have been on opposite sides of this debate historically. I'm not going to continue it on this thread. I was simply stating what I believe to be self evident by FFG's decision on what to change.

Sorry, FFG just bottled it. What they have got with this version is stagnation. A single core rulebook for all the 40K RPG's is never going to happen simply because they make their money from having five different ones, a purely business decision.

Sorry, FFG just bottled it. What they have got with this version is stagnation. A single core rulebook for all the 40K RPG's is never going to happen simply because they make their money from having five different ones, a purely business decision.

But don't be ridiculous, FFG don't want our money, just our love and adoration! It's pretty ridiculous to imply they'd be interested in profit, really.

Yeah, I've tried this one dude, don't hold out hope anyone will listen. Nerds don't understand business decisions and just want to pat each other on the back for all agreeing this idea of the game would be the coolest thing ever.

Or some people just like to talk about "what ifs". Have you never sat with friends and talked about "wouldn't it be cool if..." Or are you the true nerd who is so busy playing games and telling invisible forum posters they're wrong to have time for real life human conversing?

Most of the posts regarding a unified system are less 'what ifs' and more 'hey FFG do this, why aren't you doing this yet, hurry the hell up'.

Edited by Tom Cruise

Others and I have said this thread is a waste of energy for a variety of reasons, but my issue really comes down to people putting energy into this instead of critiquing the actual DH2 beta.

Others and I have said this thread is a waste of energy for a variety of reasons, but my issue really comes down to people putting energy into this instead of critiquing the actual DH2 beta.

So stop wasting your energy then.

We are terribly sorry, CPS.

We didn't know we were not allowed to chat here.

We will promptly get back to our well-payed job as beta reviewers, and forget about this "having fun chatting about cool possibilities" hassle.

We are terribly sorry, CPS.

We didn't know we were not allowed to chat here.

We will promptly get back to our well-payed job as beta reviewers, and forget about this "having fun chatting about cool possibilities" hassle.

I could not agree more. I find it funny how people lambast things as wastes of energy (whilst being thoroughly and uneccessarily condescending) while also wasting their time and energy...funny old world.

But back to the point and let us now leave respective handbags at the door.

If anything a unified system is a great idea. Yet another release of a 40k system and it would allow them to release a similar number of books, addons and special rules galore. They could trivially make money at it.

Oh shucks! I just found a handback to match my high heels and purse :P Yikes! That's a mental image I didn't want :o

Yes a unified system is a great idea. Sadly there would be a few headaches as some have mentioned when it comes to balance. But if you had one rule for Unnatural characteristics across the board then a Space Marine in Deathwatch would be no more or less powerful than a Space Marine in Dark Heresy.

That said, I do agree with those who say to just bring all the core rulebooks in line with each other. At least where the power levels of PC's and advancements are concerned. Then you can have supplements for adversaries and equipment that other any system can use. While keeping some that are specific to the setting....eg space ships are only needed in Rogue Trader.

Yes a unified system is a great idea. Sadly there would be a few headaches as some have mentioned when it comes to balance.

I think that depends entirely on what kind of injury mechanic you'd use, and on one's specific interpretation of the various character types - of which there are a lot when you just look around in the official material long enough. ;)

I admit FFG might lose out on a bit of cash from cores that they may or may not get back from cross system sales (I mean buying a OW type book to use in RT that might not be compatible as is) but I still want it and I believe people would be more open to change if it was the start of a unified line of games.