Thoughts on Update 1

By GauntZero, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

So - there it is, guys - the Update1 !

What are your thoughts ?

To be honest - I am disappointed.

It doesnt adress a lot of issues - and it definitely shows that the willingness for change and development regarding OW is very small. Rather sad :(

DH2 remains more or less a simple OW copy, which ignores almost all good ideas from Beta1.

Also, the idea to set characteristics to +20 instead of +25 is a step towards "taking total amateurs into the inquisition" again - not very welcome by me.

Setting XP 100 higher is a joke by the way, compared to reducing 9 characteristics by 5 each.

Edited by GauntZero

Mostly proofreading fixes - some of it from all the way back in DH1 (recoil gloves)!

Also, the idea to set characteristics to +20 instead of +25 is a step towards "taking total amateurs into the inquisition" again - not very welcome by me.

This.

The background ability changes are a bit better. IG seems a little useful, but is effectively a less effective version of Quick Draw. Why not just give them that? Or something more interesting? The AA and AM change are going to make for some interesting starting characters - starting with best quality stuff, for one, is not pretty doable.

The Warrior change makes sense. It read like an oversight in its original form - of course something like that would require a fate point.

They also gave a clarification on force weapons.

Page 113, Force: Replace the last sentence with “Using these
weapons does not involve selecting a psychic strength level and
cannot generate Psychic Phenomena. Force weapons cannot be
destroyed by weapons with the Power Field quality.”

I am disappointed too, albeit for different reasons. This update does not address many, in fact most, of the issues raised.

I am disappointed too, albeit for different reasons. This update does not address many, in fact most, of the issues raised.

Keep in mind the focus of the update. How did it stack up against the on-topic issues you raised?

Keep in mind that the first update will be the least productive since they needed to collect all of this info from scratch without a starting point. Now that they know a lot more of what needs to be fixed, update #2 should be much more comprehensive. It's only been 1 week for goodness sake.

Setting XP 100 higher is a joke by the way, compared to reducing 9 characteristics by 5 each.

...okay, that's weird. I'm looking at the update document right now and can find neither of these changes in it.

So - there it is, guys - the Update1 !

What are your thoughts ?

Where did you see this? I just looked at the update and don't see any mention of it!

...okay, that's weird. I'm looking at the update document right now and can find neither of these changes in it.

It's not in the new rules. It's in Tim's post about experimenting with it in order to get more feedback on how it effects the game.

Yeah, Just saw that! Thanks!

Keep in mind the focus of the update. How did it stack up against the on-topic issues you raised?

Very poorly, actually. I raised a number of issues regarding Roles, plus the oft commented problem with starting weapon talents and I see none of that addressed.

And keep in mind, that things that are not even tried to be adjusted early on, have much less hope to become balanced once the time for that runs out...

Very poorly, actually. I raised a number of issues regarding Roles, plus the oft commented problem with starting weapon talents and I see none of that addressed.

Would you mind summarizing your issues briefly? Often these things come up in unrelated threads and that's a lot of digging to do.

The central point that I have not seen addressed is the failure of the Roles to provide the skills or talents necessary for the role. For instance, unless you choose certain Backgrounds, you can easily make a Chirurgeon who doesn't have Medicae. You therefore have to spend your starting exp to make the character capable of filling the Role you have chosen rather than to customize your character.

I also noted that characters do not start with Linguistics (Low Gothic) and the lack of starting Weapon Training means that most Inquistorial Acolytes don't know how to use a knife.

These, I think, are very basic but absolutely essential issues which must be addressed.

Edited by LuciusT

All characters should start out with weapon training low tech, low gothic (high gothic for nobles/shrine world), if you have a role that needs a certain skill it better have that skill in the role. I don't care if it raise that skill to a +10, or not. You just better have it.

Though one good thing I did see is that mystics don't get to have psyker with the role. Which tells me there is some changes over that are going to happen so I am hoping for week 2 to be better.

Still this is very lacking update.

Edit: Correction. They took out the psyker apptitude from the mystic role. That was my bad as I miss read that. Sorry about that.

Edited by Snowman0147