Commander's power more balanced

By ctol78, in Runewars

Hi,

My friens don't like the Commander because their power aren't balanced.

In fact, an Iron Will ( when tallying strength during a battle, this commander may draw a number of Fate cards equal to his wisdom. For each GOLD or GREY gain +1 strength during the battle's resolution ) or A Thorn in Their Side ( at the start of battle, this commander may test agility. GOLD or GREY: Choose an enemy unit type. All units of that type are now considered to have a printed initiative of 5 for the remainder of the battle .) are really more powerful than a Holy Pact ( once during a battle, this commander may be dealt 1 damage at any time to prevent a unit from being routed. This may not be used on a retreating unit.) or Incalculable Strength ( at the start of a battle in an area that does not contain one of your activation tokens, place one of your activation tokens in the contested area and spend up to 6 influence to move an equal number of standing units from adjacent friendly areas into the contested area, following all normal movement rules. ).

If you think like me joint to me in that post in order to do submit for rebalancing these powers.

My Submits:

Holy Pact: Once during a battle , this commander may be dealt 1 damage at any time to prevent a unit from being routed. This may not be used on a retreating unit.

Aim of that change: makes it more useful.

Incalculable Strenght: At the start of a battle in a area that does not contain one of your activation tokens, place one of your activation tokens in the contested area and spend up to 6 influence to move an equal number of standing units from adjacent friendly areas into the contested area, following all normal movement rules.

Aim of that change: allow the use of that power in attack and not only in defence.

Flexible Mobility: at the start of a battle in which you are defending, you may swap any standing friendly units in the contested area with the same number of friendly standing units from up to adjacent areas and from areas located 2 hexes away (ignoring borders). The units moved out of the contested area are then routed.

Aim of that change: make it more powerful and easy to use.

Other powers seems to me well balanced.

Edited by Ctol

Yeah the commander abilities are not created equal. I just played a 1 on 1 as elves vs uthuk. His commander was battle Mage, he had thorn in their side, and I had incalculable strength, and the flag woman. It was over summer of year 2. I'll never do elves 1 v 1 again!

Yep.

And I have a question about Incalculable Strength: we speak about a battle in AN area that does not contain one of your activation tokens . Can we consider at the same time that this Commander abilitie can apply in friendly area where there is not the Commander ?

Incalculable Strenght: At the start of a battle in a area that does not contain one of your activation tokens, place one of your activation tokens in the contested area and spend up to 6 influence to move an equal number of standing units from adjacent friendly areas into the contested area, following all normal movement rules.

Aim of that change: allow the use of that power in attack and not only in defence.

First, if this ability can be used outside of the commander's area, it is plenty powerful and what I have to say below is irrelevant.

My main thought on your correction for Incalculable Strength is that it seems rather pointless on attack. You spend the influence at the start of a battle to move units from adjacent hexes into the battle hex. If you are attacking, you already placed an activation token in the area where the battle is occurring which means that you can already move adjacent units into that hex before the battle starts. What benefit to you gain from spending influence to move additional units into that area that could have been put there originally by your activation token?

You are right Budgernaut: my corection is useless.

Ans my question about the ability which can be used otside of the commander's area was about the abilitie WITHOUT my correction. But it can be in fact a new correction more useful. :)

Edited by Ctol

I actually like commanders being unbalanced, If an opponent has a powerfull commander I just send a party of héroes to kill him in quest phase, you actually may even team up to kill him with other players and problema solved.

Having a great commander is a blessing and a curse, we usually don't reveal what our commander does untill battles between player starts since we know that the commander will be targeted, and powerfull ones get killed fast.

Commanders help to make every game different and every faction can benefit a lot from some of them, even less powerfull commanders have saved many times from trouble, I once actually gain a game thanks to spending influence to defend from an attack, also when combined with uthuk holy pact can be usefull with the ability of upgraded flesh reapers. We really play a lot and I think that every commander card has the potential to save you from a potential loss.

best regards!

I think The Death is right, but I also think Ctol is right. The issue, as far as I see it, is how much you play. If you play Runewars only infrequently it really isn't fun if you get landed with a weaker commander. But if you play all the time, you can come up with strategies for dealing with strong commanders as The Death suggests. I think that this thread is still important for those who want more balance because they don't get to play often.

Totally true budgernaut, will try to help to balance the cards:

Flanking charge: no changes, is very powerfull for all factions. Uthuk is the one that benefit the less since it only has 1 fast unit.

A thorn at their side: no change, very powerfull.

Zealous fanatic: No changes, very powerfull

iron will: very powerfull, no changes

Holy Pact: Agree with Ctol, This commander can be dealt 1 damage every time that a unit is routed during battle to prevent the rout. Cannot be used with retreating units.

Incalculable strength: At the start of a battle in an área that does not contain one of your activation tokens, place one of your activation tokens in the contested área and move up to 6 standing units from adjacent friendly áreas into the contested área, following normal movement rules. (not paying influence) or if you find it too powerfull pay 1 influence (or 2) to move up to 6 units.

Flexible mobility: agree with Ctol.

Dominion:test wisdom, and choose an enemy tipe for each gray or Golden rout an enemy from that tipe.

Plating the banner: test stregth once per battle, for every gray or Golden result stand one routed unit (or two, whichever is higher)

led by example: just remove the once per battle, you can damage the hero all you want.

This should balance them more, also remember that you can change your commander card playing rally support.

Hope it helps.

Best regards!