Including Optional Rules

By comradeda, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

While I personally was unhappy with the total scrapping of the wounds and AP system, the community is extremely divided on the issue. However, a lot of games have an optional rules section where gaming groups can mix and match which rules they want and don't want.

Or is this like some huge faux pas? Obviously, games groups can do this on their own, but it does take some amount of confidence internally to start writing/incorporating their own rules.

The issue is that a lot of game mechanics are reliant on each other. E.G., weapon stats are extremely reliant on the wound system they are used in.

This wouldn't be a problem for some people, but if I have learned anything on these forums it is that most DMs are unwilling to put in the effort to make things work. For such people, FFG must make certain that the spoon feedings are plentiful and direct.

This wouldn't be a problem for some people, but if I have learned anything on these forums it is that most DMs are unwilling to put in the effort to make things work. For such people, FFG must make certain that the spoon feedings are plentiful and direct.

This statement is nonsense. Please don't make broad and untrue generalisations that you have no evidence for. It does you no favours.

While I personally was unhappy with the total scrapping of the wounds and AP system, the community is extremely divided on the issue. However, a lot of games have an optional rules section where gaming groups can mix and match which rules they want and don't want.

Or is this like some huge faux pas? Obviously, games groups can do this on their own, but it does take some amount of confidence internally to start writing/incorporating their own rules.

I'd rather have a game that focused on solid mechanics that do what they set out to do well instead of a system with a bunch of optional modules to try to appeal to all play styles. I don't feel this is a productive line of discussion for reviewing the beta.

I'd rather they worked at the old system to come up with something fresh and playable rather than just falling back. So what? This is about compromise in the midst of a lot of people screaming at each other.

I'm all for sticking them back in and seeing if we can get people to accept it.

I'm all for sticking them back in and seeing if we can get people to accept it.

Me too. The original beta had plenty of good ideas that just needed honing, most of which will work without having to change from the OW base.

Why not release them as a Lost Dataslate?