Compiled List of Concerns for Chapter 2: Character Creation

By Nimsim, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

I see where you're coming from, but I really do feel like some effort should be made to make all options equally enticing from a mechanical standpoint and a fluff one. People shouldn't feel like they're gimping themselves by choosing the option that suits their character best.

I see where you're coming from, but I really do feel like some effort should be made to make all options equally enticing from a mechanical standpoint and a fluff one. People shouldn't feel like they're gimping themselves by choosing the option that suits their character best.

Yep. This. Even one player can ruin the party with a better combo of Aptitudes. The guy with the good Aptitudes takes the front seat in the adventure as he will have all the nice abilities while the others slowly fall behind because they couldn't afford those abilities at the same level.

It's probably worth rebalancing Aptitudes, really. They're not exactly designed with Dark Heresy in mind in the first place.

I started a thred on that. So far no love.

Currently all adepts are weaklings, with no option to be any different from each other.

This is not even remotely true. The Administratum Background gives you one of the seven Aptitudes for your character. An Administratum Warrior is going to be a lot different from an Administratum Sage.

Currently all adepts are weaklings, with no option to be any different from each other.

This is not even remotely true. The Administratum Background gives you one of the seven Aptitudes for your character. An Administratum Warrior is going to be a lot different from an Administratum Sage.

I think he meant the classic Adept "role" and not the Background. An Administratum Warrior is not an Adept but some sort of chamber enforcer or bodyguard for the officials (the real Adepts who are Sages or maybe Seekers).

Or an adept clerk buried in paperwork so long he is Tired Of Dealing With This **** and brings a gun into work one day.

Or an adept clerk buried in paperwork so long he is Tired Of Dealing With This **** and brings a gun into work one day.

They call those "Postal adepts" ;) :P

To begin with, let me say I just love this topic.

It's just what we need, with direct, concise suggestions to improve character creation.

I particularly agree with the concern regarding Fate Points. I see no sense for rolling it. What I do in my campaigns is give all players the same number of Fate Points, three or four, depending on the campaign.

I would say that an interesting idea would be having the GM adjudicate a number from 2 to 5 for all players, depending on how "cinematographic" the campaign will be.

I don't like very much the idea of different characters starting with a different amount of FPs, as Fate is not something you choose or defined by which planet you come from. Fate is more of a "destiny pool", so to speak.

That is why I disagree with Elior, when he argued that Shrine Worlders should have more FPS. What they have is faith, not Fate.

Apart from that, I would say that I agree wholeheartedly with your initial post, except for the part regarding psykers.

I think that the system with Sanctioning as an origin and Mystic as a "class" works perfectly, at least thematically.

I can see the logic behind wanting shrine worlders to have more fate. It makes some sense. But in this case, I think it's WELL worth letting gameplay take precedence over fluff. No one likes being the guy who starts with two less fate points than everyone else. It's not fun. Fun is important.

I can see the logic behind wanting shrine worlders to have more fate. It makes some sense. But in this case, I think it's WELL worth letting gameplay take precedence over fluff. No one likes being the guy who starts with two less fate points than everyone else. It's not fun. Fun is important.

Tom, not only I agree, I would say that fun is the most important thing in RPG.

this is why I believe in giving all players the same initial amount of FPs is an idea that could work very well.

What do you think?

this is why I believe in giving all players the same initial amount of FPs is an idea that could work very well.

What do you think?

The Gm could allow the group to roll once and apply the results to all characters as appropriate. Maybe?

What do you think?

The Gm could allow the group to roll once and apply the results to all characters as appropriate. Maybe?

Why, though?

What does the randomness of starting fate points add to the game?

Grognards love random stats.

In seriousness, one argument I can see is that you may forgo a background with more fate points in order to take a background that is more interesting, gives you access to some unique ability, or has some other mechanical offset. Whether this exists in practice is a matter of debate.

What do you think?

Why, though?

What does the randomness of starting fate points add to the game?

Grognards love random stats.

In seriousness, one argument I can see is that you may forgo a background with more fate points in order to take a background that is more interesting, gives you access to some unique ability, or has some other mechanical offset. Whether this exists in practice is a matter of debate.

I think both suggestions are valid.

Personally I don't use any dice in character creation, in any RPG, including, evidently, all WH40k RPGs. I think the randomness robs a lot from char creation. However, I think that allowing both options, in the same sense that there is an option for rolling stats and another one for using "stat points" exist.

Personally, however, I'm a great believer in GM caveat, personally for an attribute that defines a lot of the feeling of the chronicle.

And I think that CPS is 100% right regarding going less for just fate points, talents and abilities that can be bought later with XP and more for unique abilities that give the feel of the background to the characters.

I remember they started that with Psykers and Tech Priests in DH 1, created special abilities for all classes in RT and kept the idea, and I believe it should be fully incorporated for backgrounds.

Any cool suggestions?

I gotta say I like the assassin's ability a lot, thematically speaking.

In a related topic, I loved this expression, "grognard".

I just googled it, and it seems to be a common slang, but I never noticed it before!

And now you'll be seeing them everywhere (on FFG forums) ...

Oh, I have been seeing them for a looong time.

In a sense, I'm one of them, as I've been playing RPGs for some time.

But it's very hard to identify with any of their ideas, as this is certainly the most rules-heavy game I play. =)

Cool trivia:

Noun [ edit ]

grognard m ( plural grognards )

1. an old veteran soldier; specifically of the grenadiers of the Imperial Guard (Grenadiers à Pied de la Garde Impériale); an old complaining soldier

is 25 years long enough I wonder, to be a grognard?

I really don't care whether fate is rolled for or not but I have found tha players tend to "feel" better about stats or numbers that they themselves rolled. It allows them to own the result and also to create more participation or drama depending on what the roll was for.

Okay, I edited in some more of the points that were discussed. Anything else? Any other counterpoints to what's up there so far?

The high characteristics low xp thing.

I think they went to far to make this different than Only War and the Old Heresy, as I’m seeing several oddities (as many have pointed to many of them already), most recent is that when making a Chirurgeon I ended up (without EXP yet spent) with a character that neither could heal or interrogate…and was left wondering how this character was a Chirurgeon in the first place.

The two most important parts of your character are where you come from (Homeworld/Origins) and what you do (Role). While the meat of your character is from what comes between the two, you cant have a good sandwich if the bread is bad…and right now the bread is bad.

Homeworld/Origins

Characteristics Modifiers: While I can get behind the idea of removing some of the excessive modifiers to make the Characteristics a bit more even between Players, this version seem….tame? I mean they only a third of your Characteristics (two positive and one negative) and they don’t even prevent you from hitting the maximum you could roll (difficult as it would be), so I think they should add just a little more to this to make your Homeworld/origins a bit more…important I guess is what aiming for. Granting an additional + and - would bring the number of Characteristics effected from 1/3 to 5/9 I think this would make it look a little more important.

Something like:

Feral World: +Strength, +Toughness. +Agility, -Intelligence, -Influence

Forge World: +Intelligence, +Toughness, +Influence, -Willpower, -Fellowship

Highborn: +Intelligence, +Fellowship, +Influence, -Toughness, -Willpower

Hive World: +Agility, +Perception, +Fellowship, -Intelligence, -Willpower

Shrine World: +Toughness, +Willpower, +Fellowship, -Perception, -Influence

Voidborn: +Perception, +Intelligence, +Willpower, -Strength, -Toughness

But maybe only I think this, so Your Mileage May Vary.

Fate Threshold: Right now I think almost everyone can agree that the arbitrarily unfair Fate Points should be removed and simply made equal to all Players, suggested number should be 3 (the normal average) with 4 being if the GM plans to put them through a particularly vicious campaign.

Home World Bonus: There’s already some talk about the unevenness of these bonuses, mostly how Skills are always worth less EXP than Talents and that only a few get a genuinely unique ability (and one of which is somewhat circumstantial). I’d honestly rather make it more equal for each and bring some more skills and options, each Homeworld gets two skills (one predetermined, and the choice between two others) with the choice between two Rank 1 Talents.

So like:

Feral World:

Skills: Survival and either Stealth or Athletics

Talent: Either Battle Frenzy or Sound Constitution

Forge World:

Skills: Tech-Use and either Trade (choose 1) or Common Knowledge (Tech)

Talents: Either Technical Knock or Weapon Tech

Highborn:

Skills: Linguistics and either Commerce or Inquiry

Talents: Either Peer (chose 1) or Weapon Training (choose 1)

Hive World:

Skills: Scrutiny and either Deceive or Sleight of Hand

Talents: Either Double Team or Clues From the Crowds

Shrine World:

Skills: Common Lore (Imperial Creed) and either Scholastic Lore (Philosophy) or Forbidden Lore (Heresy)

Talents: Either Jaded or Die Hard

Voidborn:

Skills: Awareness and either Operate (Voidship) or Trade (select 1)

Talents: Either Blind-fighting or Keen Intuition

Or something like this at least, at the moment don’t know exactly how to deal any actual special traits yet but this at least seems more equal.

Homeworld Aptitude: Honestly I think its part en due to the this that the Aptitudes of the Role are so screwed up, since they had to take them into the account for preventing too many double dipping in Aptitudes (if you pick it well enough you could get to choose both a Stage 1 and Stage 2 Aptitude). At the moment I am unsure whether we should keep `em or burn them (or maybe at least reduce them to only Background and Roles).

Wounds: This is totally a matter of opinion but I would rather have bonuses or penalties to Wounds be found here and the actual character Wounds found in Role, it just seems a bit absurd that a Highborn Sage can have more Wounds than a Shrine World Warrior (why the hell does the Highborn have such high Wounds anyway!?). A simple and elegant fix to this would be that if the Homeworld gets a +Toughness in its Characteristics Modifier then character gets a +2 Wounds; if they have a -Toughness then they get a -2 Wounds; and if they have neither + or - in Toughness then they get what they rolled (+0).

…this also gets rid of the whole “tougher than thou’ issue of the Old Heresy where some of the Homeworld’s were effectively comparing the genitals in terms of Wound bonuses.

So Wound Modifiers would be

Feral World: +2

Forge World: +2

Highborn: -2

Hive World: +0

Shrine World: +2

Voidborn: -2

Recommended Backgrounds: Nothing to say here.

Backgrounds: Not quite sure yet what to do here so I’ll leave be for the moment.

Roles

As been pointed out, Aptitudes are all over place, characters are lacking the skills that Define the Role (my above mentioned Chirurgeon), and some of the Talents are bit off (Chirurgeons know Kung-Fu? …or is it Tai-chi?). Finally gear is dependant on Background and this can mean characters may be hilariously under-equipped for their Job.

The old saying “If it aint broke then don’t fix it.” applies here I think. Instead of trying to find some round-a-bout way to make characters fit their purposes with their stuff scattered across two different fields, just stick with what’s been the basis since Dark Heresy with a little of Only War thrown in.

These are my ‘attempts’ at making it even as possibly balanced (and its likely not at all perfect), and few thoughts on why I thoughts so.

*All Roles have 6 Attributes, 4 Characteristic-based and 2 Secondary, with what I thought might be the best ‘basic’ setup.

*Skills are set at 6 each, with those that focus more on skills (Chirurgeon, Hierophant, Sage, Seeker) getting an additional Rank (2nd Rank: +10) in place of a single talent (which at their best are equal in price) in certain skills that I thought most appropriate. Preferably with a few either/or options.

*All Roles gain Weapon Training (Las) or (SP) and Weapon Training (Low-Tech) plus 3 other Rank 1 Talents (for each talent a role doesn’t get they get an additional Rank in 1 skill, as said above).

*Wounds start at 4 for a Baseline and get a +2 Wounds for having the Toughness Aptitude; a +2 for the Defense Aptitude; and a +2 for being a Combat-focused Class (Assassin, Desperado and Warrior). Plus 1d5 as normal.

*Gear was too much of a head ache for me at the moment so I have currently left it blank for now, if nothing else we can use Old Heresy and try make the gear match up as best we can.

Also I made a few changes to some of the Special Abilities of a few classes that I think fit their theme better, tell me what you think.

Again these are only examples and any refinement you can think of is worth debating on (the Hierophant and Seeker gave me the most trouble).

Assassin

Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Agility, Perception, Fineness, Fieldcraft.

Skills: Awareness, Acrobatics or Athletics, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Stealth, Dodge or Parry, Security

Talent: Weapon Training (Las or SP, Low-Tech), Weapon Training (select 1, except Heavy) or Exotic Weapon Training (select 1), Leap Up or Cat Fall, and either Jaded or Die Hard.

Wounds: 6 +1d5

Gear:

Special: The Killing Moment- In the Surprise Round, when an Assassin makes a successful attack against an Unaware enemy they deal an additional 1d10 damage. The Assassin may choose to spend a Fate Point to increase this damage to 2d10. These extra dice DO generate Righteous Fury.

Chirurgeon

Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Toughness, Intelligence, Fellowship, Knowledge, Fieldcraft

Skills: Medicae +10 or Interrogate +10, Logic, Linguistics (Low Gothic, High Gothic), Scrutiny or Operate (Surface), Scholastic Lore (Chymistry),

Talent: Weapon Training (Las or SP, Low-Tech), Resistance (Poison, Disease)

Gear:

Special: Professional in Health- When a Chirurgeon character rolls for the Medicae or Interrogate skills they may roll twice and take the best result.

Desperado

Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Agility, Perception, Fellowship, Fineness, Defense

Skills: Acrobatics, Deceive or Charm, Dodge, Inquiry, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Sleight of Hand or Security.

Talent: Weapon Training (Las or SP, Low-Tech), Leap Up, Cat Fall, and either Ambidextrous or Blind Fighting or Quick Draw

Wounds: 8 +1d5

Gear:

Special: Daredevil- When rolling for the Acrobatics skill reduce any penalties taken by -20 (to the minimal of 0). In addition on a successful Acrobatics roll a Desperado gains a number of additional Degrees of Success equal to half their Agility Bonus (rounded down).

Hierophant

Aptitudes: Toughness, Intelligence, Willpower, Fellowship, Leadership, Social

Skills: Charm +10 or Intimidation +10, Linguistics (Low Gothic, High Gothic), Forbidden Lore (Heresy) or Scholastic Lore (Philosophy), Scholastic Lore (Occult), Scrutiny +10 or Deceive +10, Inquiry.

Talent: Weapon Training (Las or SP, Low-Tech), Peer (select 1)

Gear:

Special: Sway the Masses- As Normal

Mystic

Aptitudes: Agility, Intelligence, Perception, Willpower, Defense, Psyker

Skills: Awareness, Psyniscience, Intimidate or Common Lore (Occult), Linguistics (Low Gothic), Forbidden Lore (Psyker) +10, Forbidden Lore (The Warp) +10.

Talent: Weapon Training (Las or SP, Low-Tech), Warp Sense or Resistance (Psychic Powers)

Gear:

Special: Stare into the Warp- As Normal.

Sage

Aptitudes: Intelligence, Fellowship, Perception, Willpower, Tech, Knowledge,

Skills: Common Lore (select any 2) +10, Linguistics (Low Gothic, High Gothic) +10, Logic +10, Inquiry or Tech-Use, Forbidden Lore (select any 2) +10 or Scholastic Lore (select any 2) +10,

Talent: Weapon Training (Las or SP, Low-Tech)

Wounds: 4 +1d5

Gear:

Special: Quest for Knowledge- As Normal.

Seeker

Aptitudes: Ballistic Skill, Fellowship, Intelligence, Perception, Social, Tech

Skills: Awareness, Survival, Navigate (Surface) or Use-Tech, Linguistics (Low Gothic),either Operate (select 1) or Security, and either Scholastic Lore (Cryptology) +10 or Scholastic Lore (Legends) +10.

Talent: Weapon Training (Las or SP, Low-Tech), Keen Intuition or Clues From the Crowds, and either Jaded or Die Hard

Wounds: 4 + 1d5

Gear:

Special: Nothing Escapes My Sight- As Normal.

Warrior

Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Offense, Defense

Skills: Awareness or Stealth, Athletics, Dodge or Parry, Intimidate, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Survival

Talent: Weapon Training (Las or SP, Low-Tech), Weapon Training (select 1), Die Hard, and either Rapid Reload or Quick Draw or Takedown.

Wounds: 10 +1d5

Gear:

Special: Warrior’s Art- Before rolling for an attack you may take a -10 penalty to your Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill (which ever your using to attack for now) to either gain a +1 Damage or an extra Degree of Success (you must still succeed in order for this to apply). You may take an additional -10 to the attack roll, and gain either a +1 Damage or DOS (these effects stack), a number of times equal to your Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill Bonus (whichever you are using) to the Maximum of -60.

These are just some of my thoughts on Character Creation could be straightened out. Your Mileage Will Vary However
Edited by Magus Black