Sale on Age of Rebellion Beta

By Yoshiyahu, in General Discussion

Just something I found while trawling the internet today- apparently Miniature Market is having a sale for the next few days on a bunch of items, and they've got copies of the AoR Beta for $15, plus shipping . For those (in the U.S. at least) who might not yet own a copy of the Beta, it seems like a pretty good deal- even if it's too late to provide feedback.

The couple of WotC books they have on sale are pretty good too. Okay, we cant use the stats at all, but for background and color they're not too bad. The Legacy era sourcebook is pretty well written, if you're looking to play in that setting and 4 bucks for the Force Unleashed book? There has to be 4 bucks of value in there somewhere!

I'll have to see if I have the Threats of the Galaxy book - see if it'd still be useful once you jettison the stats.

I'll have to see if I have the Threats of the Galaxy book - see if it'd still be useful once you jettison the stats.

Everybody complains about the stats in that book, but I found the art very inspiring.

And $4 for The Force Unleashed? It's kind of SAGA's version of the Imperial Sourcebook... a no-brainer! :D

The Force Unleashed book is the only one, I think, with information on running games in that 20 year period leading up to the Battle at Yavin.

The Force Unleashed book is the only one, I think, with information on running games in that 20 year period leading up to the Battle at Yavin.

You'd be correct.

A number of folks I know have taken to calling it the "Dark Times Campaign Guide" since that's really what the bulk of the content is about, with Force Unleashed specific stuff being fairly minor and easily not included in a campaign if the GM feels it's not appropriate (namely the Unleashed mechanic).

I guess theyre really trying to get rid of this thing - its on sale for 12 bucks now! Plus over on their face book page, they mentioned having a Star Wars sale on Christmas.

I guess theyre really trying to get rid of this thing - its on sale for 12 bucks now! Plus over on their face book page, they mentioned having a Star Wars sale on Christmas.

It does have something of a shelf life since the demand for it will keep dropping as we approach the release of the full AoR Core Rulebook. Collectors might still want it, but once the full version of AoR is out, it's more of a curiosity than anything else.

No, just happens to be a random "Deal of the Day", everyday Miniature Market put something random up for 24hours at a discounted price.

Last month I picked up a KR multicase for X-Wing a few weeks before that I got a couple A-Wings for 6.99; Over the course of the last year I have picked up some interesting games for a few bucks a pop, what would have normally cost 30 or 70 USD. Pretty sweet deal really.

Now what they might have tomorrow is anyone's guess,

It does have something of a shelf life since the demand for it will keep dropping as we approach the release of the full AoR Core Rulebook. Collectors might still want it, but once the full version of AoR is out, it's more of a curiosity than anything else.

I think part of the problem with tFUCG was that there was less demand than WotC expected (who may have even put in a larger order than normal for their supplements, based in part upon perceived demand and that the Starships and KOTOR books both sold out rather quickly and can still command high prices on the second-hand market), particularly since it was part of the whole "Force Unleashed" multi-media event as a tie-in to said game. Except that LucasArts wasn't able to get the game completed on the original time table, causing everything except the SW minis to be pushed back (the minis only got released due to them taking up physical warehouse space where the RPG book hadn't even been sent to the printers at that point in time). And a lot of folks probably just assumed (somewhat erroneously) that all it covered was material from the video game when the truth is that it's one of the better Saga Edition sourcebooks out there as it has "something for everyone."

I recall myself and many others on the WotC boards being turned off by the cover of that book, too - being scowled at by 'Mr. Angsty-Man (Starkiller)', a guy who we knew nothing about. But I later learned to really like the character through playing the game, and we've all since learned that Mr. Witwer's a great guy, an rpg dude like the rest of us, and he's by now portrayed no less than three official Star Wars characters (plus, a friend of mine briefly played his girlfriend on Battlestar Galactica, so that's cool too. :P )

So yeah, my impression of that book (and the whole TFU experience overall) went from negative to overwhelmingly positive. :)