Thinking about getting WH:I

By achinfish, in Warhammer Invasion Community

Hi all,

Invasion has long sat comfortably on my wishlist. I am thinking I should grab it before it's too late (I read that they are keeping it in print for now.) While the battlepacks certainly add many options, can I get away with just picking up the main six boxes to get a reasonable selection of cards for each army? There are a LOT of battlepacks to collect...

If you think my plan is alright, but there are a small number of specific battlepacks that really add a lot of bang for the buck compared to their brethren, I hope you can drop some pack names. :)

Thanks everyone!

I think HappyDD from the Winvasion podcast ( http://winvasion.net/ ) once said, that they made a torunament just with core set and deluxe expansions, and that some cards were too good in that format.

Don't know if that's still the case for some more deluxe expansions have been released.

In general I rather recommend to start with a core set and "Assualt on Ulthuan" (which introduces Dark Elves and High Elves) to get a feeling for the game before spending a lot of money on the other deluxe expansions (though I'm sure you won't regret cause it is an awesome game).

I think the game has a better balance and depth with battle packs, but you definitely don't have to buy all of them.

For example I would not recommend buying the first cycle since you don't get 3 copies of every card there.

As he said.

Also, after you already know the rules, you should first use deckbox.org to build a deck of your dreams (with all cards published so far), and then check how many packs you would need to bulid it.

For some usual, 'perfect' combos it's usually a lot of them to buy of course, but I saw a few competitive decks which used less than 20% of total card count pack-wise, so you don't definitely HAVE TO buy them all. But be aware that if you won't, you will strongly limit your available choices.