40k Unified RPG

By professor_kylan, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I've been working for some time on a unified RPG for the 40k universe, stealing aspects I liked from each of the core FFG systems and hammering them together into something similar, but a little stranger. The idea was to be able to give players a certain amount of XP and they could make practically anything in the worldframe they wanted, with some vestige of balance thrown in for good measure.

I've been playtesting this with my group for a while, with Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader and Astartes characters all making appearances, and I'm now looking for outside opinions. Right now it's still a little rough and ready, but I feel it's complete enough to get a general feel for the concepts involved.

If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for your time!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhgPzi5giNyUWFDWENtdzZPdmM/edit?usp=sharing

This is awesome!

Do you use Dark Heresy as the core rules or any of the other systems? I noticed that both overbleed and fettered strength showed up in the text, so what psychic rules do you use (aren't these from dark heresy and rogue trader->only war respectively?)

I use a modified Rogue Trader psychic power rules set, with Overbleed coming from additional degrees of success on the invocation test. I find it's a little more balanced that Dark heresy core.
Most of the core systems I use are from Black Crusade, as that was the most recent core book that was out while I was working on the rules. I haven't got Only War yet, but when I get to tightening up the vehicle rules I think I'm going to have to :P

Also, thanks for the praise!

How much XP have you played with at character generation in your playtesting?

I'm planning out a Dark Heresy game over the new year and I think I might use your mod together with Only War (after playing only war, I feel dark heresy is too dated). I do like your take on psychic powers with overbleed, I think RT's system and Black Crusade/Only war is just about the same and should work well. Do you play with any other similar house rules? I would love to hear them :)

Are the talents only from Black Crusade (maybe Deathwatch as well)?

I've been handing out around 500 to begin with, which seems to work. Starting characters are a little more potent than standard Dark Heresy, which is something to keep in mind.

The Talents were largely selected from Black Crusade, but there were a couple that only existed in DW or RT (Not sure if Hot Shot Pilot was anywhere but RT off the top of my head)

I do have some more house rules which I'll probably end up posting as I tidy them up. The big ones are probably how we roll dice (Roll against the same targets as in core rules, but Degrees of Success are given by the tens dice. Speeds things up) and a big change to The Flesh Is Weak. There's stuff that changes how Voidship combat works for RT style games, but that'll be posted over there!