Rules Question for a New Player (Moving Units)

By Schu, in Runewars

Hi everyone.

Quick background: I have never played Runewars. I did some research and decided that it looks awesome and ordered the game. In the meantime, I have been reading the instructions so when it comes I am prepared. I am running into small questions now.

In the instruction booklet on page 17 it states, "A player can recruit and move units into an area containing one of his activation tokens. A player cannot activate an area that contains a friendly activation token."

I don't understand. When you play Recruit, you do not get to move units. Does it mean that if you have a previously activated area that contains a stronghold you may still place newly recruited units in that area? Or possibly that you are able to move units the same year that you recruit them? I just can't quite figure out why this specific distinction is made at all. "...can recruit and move..." could imply doing both at once, and I know that is not right. Unless there are Tactics cards I am not familiar with yet that allow that...?

Thank you all for your time. I am very excited about this game and cannot wait to play. I appreciate your help.

I think what they meant was that you may still recruit units in an area that has already been activated. It could have been worded better, admittedly.

There's no way to recruit and move units in a single action, that I can recall. However, you can certainly move units that were recruited in the same turn, provided the hex they are leaving does not have one of your activation tokens in it.

Thank you. That makes sense.

Is it possible to move a hero twice using Mobilize and the supremacy bonus? So he could potentially move four areas in one season?

Yes, that would work, since heroes are not affected by activation tokens. The hero could even through enemy occupied hexes while doing this.

Steve-O,

I want to thank you very much for your kindness and help. I have read many posts of yours and clearly you have a solid understanding of the game and enjoy helping people enjoy it as much as you have. I really appreciate your posts.

Thanks again.

I think the Strategy card that let you move units without activating an area is called "Strategize". That's the only way to move units without activating the area.

And as Steve-O said, the Recruit strat card let's you build units in an area that contains one of your stronghold. So no activation there either.

Great purchase btw, if you're a fan of great strategy and involving gameplay you'll love the game. And it look extremely awesome on a table :D

Happy gaming!