Snow Graves + Yithian Effects

By Cloudwalker2, in CoC Rules Discussion

Hi all,

Are Yithian effects that trigger from the discard pile considered in play (on the table)? Or do they trigger and resolve from the discard pile?

Snow Graves:

"Cards cannot be moved out of attached discard pile for any reason."

My understanding is I can't trigger Interstellar Migration, as the cost of the effect is putting the card on the bottom of the deck.

But what about Lost Oracle? Her ability seems to be able to be triggered purely from the discard pile.

Yithian Scout would be similar. It looks like his ability can trigger, but Snow Graves would prevent him coming back onto the table.

Is my reasoning correct?

Your reasoning is correct. Anything before "to choose" is the cost. If you can't pay the cost, you can't trigger the action.

Snow Graves prevents cards from moving out of the discard pile for any reason (cannot is an absolute, as opposed to may not), which also includes Relics that are shuffled back into your deck when they leave play (as they hit the discard pile first).

The Lost Oracle and Ythian Scout, however, trigger their effects from the discard pile and are therefore unaffected by Snow Graves. Because Ythian Scout's ability doesn't include "then", you can trigger the first effect without being able to trigger the second (they are independent, see FAQ Section 1.3 Multiple Effects).

Thanks for that, Yipe :)