Twilight Imperium, next expansion, Eclipse and FFG plans

By hcbunny, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

I think that Twilight Imperium is a magnificent game. It is one of a kind and it should stay that way.

Living in Finland you cannot play board games and not in some way come across the other game that has been associated with TI3, Eclipse. Success of the Eclipse has boosted the interest of the local publisher to invest in new games and produce add-ons for the franchise. And that is awesome for our board game community. Compared to basic board games even eclipse competes in niche market, its complex, it takes time and it’s expensive. Also the theme is not for everyone. Still it is a success story Finns are proud to tell. Why am I talking about Eclipse, well let me clarify.

I see a big difference between Eclipse and TI3. And I hope that folks at FFG see it too. Even though there are some elements that are borrowed from TI3, Eclipse is no TI3, nor should it be. Of course sales and favorable reviews on BGG could drive any company’s interest. After all FFG is here not only to make us happy but also to make games that sell. But BGG score doesn't tell everything. Even if it’s hard for me to get a group of 4-6 guys in one room and commit for 8 hours doesn't mean I want things to be different.

There are talk about if there will be TI4 that is closer to Eclipse than the current version. If FFG chose that route I think that that would be a big big disappointment for me and for many other TI fans. TI isn't and shouldn't be short or simpler or streamlined, a lot of the qualities it is not make the game that it is. It’s and experience. Of course you can always make the experience better, as we seen with evolution of TI, but don’t change it for the wrong reasons.

If FFG want to make a competing product they should maybe make TI game that is set in the same universe, but uses different mechanics, like REX. An addition to current TI flagship line.

What I would really like to see from FFG would be an add-on to the current TI3. That burrows the interesting elements of Eclipse, and remakes them in to a new add-on for the TI3. Most notably the ship upgrades and technologies that are associated with them. I am no expert on how plausible or doable such a thing would be. But addition of ship sheets with upgradable parts, part technology, and maybe some different dice for different weapon types would really make the TI the ultimate experience. I don’t care if it makes game longer or more complex, it’s not the point anyway. Also resource mechanic in eclipse is interesting. I don’t know if it would add anything to the current TI3, but the designers should look in to it. They already made great from borrowing good elements from past games, Eclipse shouldn't be excluded.

Also I would like to note that production values in Eclipse are not even close to FFG level. But that mostly speaks for the amount of skill that is put into FFG games. Eclipse ships are embarrassing compared to TI, even if there is a ship pack coming (it costs ~35$/€, and for me they still look like crap). Also art is not even close. FFG made good on TI3 and also I love game of thrones 2ed. And for me these details make the atmosphere, and it’s quite important. I rather move some cool plastic in space battles, even if the mechanic of the game play is ten times better in a game that makes you move wooden cubes that represent some crop and you objective is to be a farmer.

(Sidenote: I quite enjoy eurotrash games with my girlfriend or “simpler” friends, but I LOVE the hard core nerd games that I can play with my friends and take over the galaxy).

Completely agree with just about everything you have said, TI is beautiful because it is big and I HATE any type of game company cut it down.

Unfortunately it's just what happens when companies go more and more mainstream both in Computer games and boardgames they tend to make it more 'milky' case and point the new Edritch horror game.

hopefully we will see a new add on at some point as well.

I don't want TI to move closer to Eclipse. Eclipse is too eurogame for my liking.

One thing that it currently helping Eclipse is its iOS application. Playing it on a pad will help you learn the game faster, thus giving you motivation to buy the tabletop game to play F2F.

We still know nothing about FFG game and iOS portability...

COME ON FFG !!! We want TI3 on iPad!!!!!

I think FFG is currently testing the waters of digitizing board games with Talisman. Hopefully, if that goes well for them, a digital version of TI would also be considered.

One thing that it currently helping Eclipse is its iOS application. Playing it on a pad will help you learn the game faster, thus giving you motivation to buy the tabletop game to play F2F.

No we don't. TI3 is too successful as a boardgame and has had so many digital nockoffs that Ti3 would be deminished greatly where it to become a mere i-app. There aren't enough players with iThings to justify such an undertaking and those players who do have them are already playing. Users of iThings are going to find TI3 on their own by playing the crappy knockoffs and will find the board game a refreshing change.

No we don't. TI3 is too successful as a boardgame and has had so many digital nockoffs that Ti3 would be deminished greatly where it to become a mere i-app. There aren't enough players with iThings to justify such an undertaking and those players who do have them are already playing. Users of iThings are going to find TI3 on their own by playing the crappy knockoffs and will find the board game a refreshing change.

I'm not in a big rush for this either. Partly because I do not use Apple products, and partly because I already have Gal Civ II on the pc :P Gal Civ 3 on the horizon.

I'm torn on TI, though. On one hand, it's perfect. On the other, I do wish there was something I could do to make it get to the table more than 1-3 times a year. It's a fact that I'm not alone in that regard. Does that mean to streamline? I don't think so. But I don't know what the answer is there. At 40 yrs old and with players who are parents or working professionals I suppose I should be thankful it gets to the table at all :)

Unfortunately it's just what happens when companies go more and more mainstream both in Computer games and boardgames they tend to make it more 'milky' case and point the new Edritch horror game.

hopefully we will see a new add on at some point as well.

I agree. And its OK to have all kinds of games, on both ends of the spectrum. I just hope they wont forget the heavy gamers because they probably can if they look only at sales numbers.

I don't want TI to move closer to Eclipse. Eclipse is too eurogame for my liking.

Eclipse is an euro game. But TI3 has borrowed quite a bunch of stuff from eurogames. So I wouldn't mind if it borrowed some elements from eclipse, if they work with the theme and overall game play of ti3, in next expansion for example.

Since I wrote original post there has been quite a bunch of Eclipse-like games with space theme coming out, riding on eclipse success. Which is quite nice for the fans if the genre. The only problem is now figuring out which one to try or buy.

Im also quite against the ios version. It will water it down, it will in a way diminish the experience. TI3 should be an endeavor where you and your gaming group try to scramble calendar time for the epic adventure.

But for now I belive in FFG. I Belive that the TI3 is theirs baby and good sales on bunch of other games will give them "creative freedom" to keep TI3 or update it in good taste.