Introducing new players to the game

By sbarnabas, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

I have a friend at work who is not new to games (i.e. he played magic seriously) and would like to learn agot lcg.

Are there canonical beginner decks (not the ones in the core set), that are balanced against each other that I can use to show the various aspects of the game?

The core set decks are, imo, not great for introducing players as they're suboptimal in a lot of ways. I'd like to ideally have like a semi-competitive aggro and control deck - maybe Stark rush vs GJ choke? or Martell renown vs Lanni kneel?

I didn't see anything like this in any of the beginner resources; and I'm not even sure this is the right way to teach the game. I'm open to suggestions though.

Any ex-magic players have advice on how they learned?

What cards do you have in your collection? Are you trying to teach joust or Melee? Are you going to play competitively and follow the restricted list?

If you think the Core / Deluxe Expansion decks are too simplistic or inefficient, then feel free to build custom decks. Cardgamedb.com and agotcards.org both have published decks that you can browse to get an idea of how to build the decks you have in mind.

My advice would be to avoid shadows, naval enhancements, Seasons, etc. for at least the first 2 or 3 games or until he has a grasp of the round structure, actions, responses, etc.

Sandy, Dan used to have (and maybe still has the lists for) 40-card teaching decks for the exact purpose you are describing. I'll ask him. If not, I can re- build something similar and send you the list. Or, you can bring him on a Thursday night and we can start teaching that way!

I'd say to stay away from control completely. New players don't like NPE, and they don't understand why it exists.

Of course, if you are looking specifically to bring an ex-magic player in, then that's a different story. Find out what kind of decks he liked to play, and then build something similar.

I have a friend at work who is not new to games (i.e. he played magic seriously) and would like to learn agot lcg.

Are there canonical beginner decks (not the ones in the core set), that are balanced against each other that I can use to show the various aspects of the game?

The core set decks are, imo, not great for introducing players as they're suboptimal in a lot of ways. I'd like to ideally have like a semi-competitive aggro and control deck - maybe Stark rush vs GJ choke? or Martell renown vs Lanni kneel?

I didn't see anything like this in any of the beginner resources; and I'm not even sure this is the right way to teach the game. I'm open to suggestions though.

I'd be happy to help him learn the game, but I'm always late. I'll bring my bizzaro 7 card decks, maybe. I always wanted to see if they'd be a good learning tool or not.

I'd be happy to help him learn the game...

This gave me a chuckle because of several of your posts about rules.

Why? Most of my posts focus on getting to the true underlying reasoning of a ruling, not a lack of understanding of the rules.

Why? Most of my posts focus on getting to the true underlying reasoning of a ruling, not a lack of understanding of the rules.

Because I believe some of your posts that debate interpretations and rulings of some rules can easily increase the amount of confusion for newer players. For the record, I don't think you won't be able to help teach someone the game. It's just one of the first things I thought of when I saw your post and it tickled my pickle.

...it tickled my pickle.

ಠ_ಠ

I'm going to try and bring him to a thursday; the first one after thanksgiving

I'm going to try and bring him to a thursday; the first one after thanksgiving

Are you going to be around during Black Friday/Red Saturday Sandy? I recall that you probably were not, but don't know if this is set in stone yet.

He is!!

I am - I booked a flight back that friday just to play!

I am - I booked a flight back that friday just to play!

Sun Country Airlines? You gotta beat their back asswards system.