In the hospital

By HashKey64, in WFRP Rules Questions

I read thru the rules for healing trying to understand them better (before I start to modify them myself). :)

In my group a Minstrel character (Tou: 2, Resilence: untrained) took 2 Critical Hits and lost all his Wounds in the last fight. Obviously he wanted to heal afterwards.

So...

By getting Long-Term Care in a hospital by a person trained in Medicine and also getting successful "personal/focused" care with First Aid and additionally more successful "personal/focused" care with Medicine the Minstrel can get a maximum 3 Talent Dice and a number of Fortune Dice to his Resilence Check.

Refrased: Can the Minstrel benefit from both Long-Term Care (Medicine: trained), First Aid and Medicine for his daily Resilence Check?

Edited by HashKey64

I'd have to say that he'll have to stick to one of the options; not because the BOOK says so, but because of logic.

If he's in the care of the Shallyans they're doing what can be done (and it's the best you can get) and further quackery won't do any good - and the priestesses won't let anyone in just like that. That's your long-term care.

If he sees a doctor, and pays his bills, he'll get what passes for medical treatment and further quackery won't do any good. It will probably contradict what the good doctor says. That's the medicine option.

If none of the options above are available he might have to stick with the care his veteran friend can give (learnt the hard way on the field of battle) or some hedge witch wise-woman with her herbs and good advice about onions. That's the last resort, the first aid option.

Or he'll get none of the above, and then he'll never recover what with a toughness of 2 and untrained resilience..!

I'd have to say that he'll have to stick to one of the options; not because the BOOK says so, but because of logic.

If he's in the care of the Shallyans they're doing what can be done (and it's the best you can get) and further quackery won't do any good - and the priestesses won't let anyone in just like that. That's your long-term care.

If he sees a doctor, and pays his bills, he'll get what passes for medical treatment and further quackery won't do any good. It will probably contradict what the good doctor says. That's the medicine option.

If none of the options above are available he might have to stick with the care his veteran friend can give (learnt the hard way on the field of battle) or some hedge witch wise-woman with her herbs and good advice about onions. That's the last resort, the first aid option.

Or he'll get none of the above, and then he'll never recover what with a toughness of 2 and untrained resilience..!

Ok, going to argue for the sake of argument and I will try to use my logic. :)

The Long-Time Care bonus, of one Talent die, is for Trained Medicine. The bonus provided for the Skill Check of Medicine (Trained/Untrained) is up to two Talent dice. I just figured that a person trained in Medicine can help the wounded both due to passive care and active care.

Also...

First Aid seems separate from Medicin in that it can be administred in Encounter Mode. I interpret First Aid and Medicine as two sides of the same coin. First Aid is the well proven practice of tending wounds out of life experience (a practical care). Medicine is about purifying wounds and administring medicine stemming from deducted reasoning (a scientific care).

I see no problem in letting the different areas of care overlap so a character can get passive , active , practical and scientific care on the same time. Do you?

Note: The combined bonus of all these together do seem high. I suspect that it was not the intention of the game's desiger but it is hard to tell. The rules are blurry in many areas.

Edited by HashKey64

On the same topic, I HIGHLY encourage you to consider use of Asylums for long-term care of Insanities as well.

(see my sig house rules for cost/month).

jh