Gear?

By Jomero, in General Discussion

This may have already been asked, but my meager searching skills could not find it.

I received the beta book a few weeks back, but was surprised to see that it didn't feel "complete." There isn't really anything new when it came to space combat, for example (a thing that this book begged to have fleshed out more).

But I also noticed there wasn't any new gear when it came to weapons and armor. I thought, "Well, maybe they don't plan on having new gear."

But then under the adversaries section, there are all sorts of new baddies with reference to new armor types and weapons.

Is there a reason this was not included? Was it known that this book would be incomplete? I can't see how we can fully beta test this without a complete book.

Any info would be helpful for my confused brain. :(

It's not only a beta book but with pre-release updates by downloadable PDF, so it is entirely possible that FFG will eventually include them in one of the updates, or that the armor and weapons in question aren't meant to be purchaseable (salvageable is a different story...).

I will note as well that the "current" version of the AoR beta is actually the beta book plus the latest update , and that there are indeed more space combat-related elements in the updates.

Thanks for the reply. I must be missing where to find these pdf updates. I see a link pinned at the top of the board, but nothing downloadable. Is this the correct area or somewhere else?

There is a link in the pinned thread to the latest update on page two or three, can't remember.

As to weapons and armour, they could just variations on weapons and armour already available. Hard to say without specific examples.

There is a link in the pinned thread to the latest update on page two or three, can't remember.

As to weapons and armour, they could just variations on weapons and armour already available. Hard to say without specific examples.

Dark troopers have a "plasma shell assault cannon" as an example. Does not match anything listed under gear.

Plasma assault cannons aren't a generally available item. It is npc specific. That may be why it is not listed in the equipment chapter. Now I can think of plenty of reasons why pcs shouldn't or couldn't use it, but we apl none of that matters unless it does. Because if you throw dark troopers at your pcs, they will want the plasma cannons. So we should have stats for them, but maybe just more fleshed out without costs because it is jot an item found on the marketz but in a highly classified top secret creation of the Empire.

I'd be fine with no cost, I just want more than a statline.

Thanks for the reply. I must be missing where to find these pdf updates. I see a link pinned at the top of the board, but nothing downloadable. Is this the correct area or somewhere else?

Look here for the announcement of the final beta update PDF, although " We will continue to implement changes based on your feedback throughout the entire development process ", and here for a direct link to the PDF! Note that the red text indicates changes since the prior update PDF, while the black text indicates the accumulated prior updates; I can safely say that in this and the prior beta update PDF capital ships got some noticeable changes.

Look here for the announcement of the final beta update PDF, although " We will continue to implement changes based on your feedback throughout the entire development process ", and here for a direct link to the PDF! Note that the red text indicates changes since the prior update PDF, while the black text indicates the accumulated prior updates; I can safely say that in this and the prior beta update PDF capital ships got some noticeable changes.

Adding three gunnery actions isn't a major change. It's a good first step, but it's far from delivering on the promises.

Adding three gunnery actions isn't a major change. It's a good first step, but it's far from delivering on the promises.

What promises?

FFG never made any promises as to what was going to be changed. If you look past the gunnery actions, there were plenty of other pretty major changes, such as a hefty revision of how Duty operated, a brand new Universal Specialization, and an entire section on running EotE and AoR characters in the same game. They said "major changes," and those three items qualify as "major changes," so they kept their word on that front.

As for "advanced tactical combat options" that a lot of folks were expecting... that's ultimately on the fanbase for expecting something that FFG never said they'd provide. Would it have been nice for the Beta to offer expanded tactical combat options, particularly for large-scale ground and space battles? Yes, but such a thing was never promised by FFG to begin with, at least not for the Beta. Maybe such a thing will show up in the core rulebook when it gets released next year, but again it's not been promised.

We know there's going to be equipment in a lot of the miscellaneous sourcebooks that come out between now and the release of Age of Rebellion. It certainly wouldn't be farfetched for them to reference equipment in one of those splat books, as they will be available by the time the new core book is available.

Personally I'm looking forward to them putting out a Bounty Hunter book. Bounty hunters are all about the toys, so I'm hoping it will have assorted armors, weapons, and gadgets.