Auto Fortress-Temple*

By Sebastian Yorke, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Auto Fortress-Temple*

Lvl1: For all ships | Lvl 2: Cruisers or Transports | Lvl 3: Grand Cruisers, Mass Conveyors, Battlecruisers

Space: 2 (lvl1), 3 (lvl2), 4 (lvl3)

Power: 1 (0 when dropped as Plasma Generators come online)

SP: 2, 3, 4

Description:

The original intent for this component is for utilization in Crusades. It's common for during a crusade for a human heathen population to be encountered. The Fortress-Temple is ideal for occupation of capitals of cultures in or under "Industrial" technological level - slowly converting the willing while serving as a forward base of operation for IG suppressing of heretics.

May be dropped to a planet's surface and retrieved. Each takes at least a day to setup, varying on workforce available.

After deployed, lvl 1 need a week to be recovered, lvl 2 needs 2 weeks, lvl 3 needs a month.

While packed and within a ship, only the temple/cathedral is usable.

Lvl 1: Arbites precinct and an Ecclesiarchy Temple. Small workshop for 2-4 Chimeras (not included). Accommodations for 1000 imperials at max (rest needs to camp outside).

Comes with armored walls, 4 bunkers on corners, topped by twin linked heavy bolters. Command building with potent Comm equipment.

Lvl 2: IG forward base, Ecclesiarchy Temple. Workshop for 50 Chimeras or equivalent (not included). Accommodations for 50000 imperials at max (rest needs to camp inside walls). Comes with a large perimeter of armored walls, 4 bunkers on corners topped by twin linked Autocannons + 4 intermediary bunkers topped by heavy bolters. 2 Earthshaker emplacements, command building with potent Comm equipment.

Lvl 3: IG HQ, Ecclesiarchy Cathedral, 20 Black Cells. Workshop for 100 vehicles. Accommodations for 100k Imperials.

Comes with a large perimeter of armored walls, 4 "heavy" bunkers on corners topped by twin linked long barrelled lascannons and sponson twin linked heavy bolters + 10 intermediary bunkers topped by heavy bolters. Airfield and hangars for 220 Flyers. 10 Earthshaker emplacements, command building with potent Comm equipment.

Bonuses:

If dropped, Gain Achievement Points for Creed objectives (lvl 1, 2: 150, lvl 3 200) and for Military objectives (lvl 1:50, lvl 2:100, lvl 3:200).

If packed increases Morale by 2. 3 for Cathedral. Lvl 2 & 3 while packed have their temples unavailable.

Edited by Sebastian Yorke

I really like the idea (and want one now), but I think this would be a good component to have a split version of: ie a raider/frigate/transport version and a cruiser/GC version. Given that half the space is probably given over to lift mechanisms and systems to integrate it into the ship, I'd wonder how big the temple itself would be.

Given your implied size, I get the distinct impression that it should at least have some Earthshaker implacements, and more heavy bolter turrets. Size 4 on a cruiser would at least be a large city block in footprint. The Frigate version sounds like it could be the scale/weapons you'd mentioned. Alternatively, the cruiser version could drop more than one...

I echo what Remi says in that I like it, but I think it should be split off into Auto-Temple and Auto-Fortress, at least by default.

Improving and combining things into "sensible design" is heresy you know.

I echo what Remi says in that I like it, but I think it should be split off into Auto-Temple and Auto-Fortress, at least by default.

Improving and combining things into "sensible design" is heresy you know.

Nah, make it Auto-Temple and Auto-Cathedral. Sounds like a better upgrade to it and I imagine cathedrals in 40k are pretty close to fortresses anyway.

Updated, take a look. ; )

Agreed with one exception; you should not gain a morale bonus whilst it's 'packed' - if this thing is racked and packed for orbital drop, then the cathedral isn't going to be open for use whilst in transit.

Also - looking at Planetstrike - you might want to consider a 'level 0' - or at least a sort of 'cluster' version; there are such things as 'drop-bastions', and being able to deploy a line of the things along a predefined defence route prior to landing a centrepiece might be a nice option.

So... What you're saying is that we should have a module that shoots drop pods that are actually hard point bunkers?

Yes, I think we do.

Also - looking at Planetstrike - you might want to consider a 'level 0' - or at least a sort of 'cluster' version; there are such things as 'drop-bastions', and being able to deploy a line of the things along a predefined defence route prior to landing a centrepiece might be a nice option.

I guess that's basically what the Devourers and Shark Boats are for. hehe

After you OB the **** out of the landing zone in case that's not originally so safe either.

Add a Storm Drop Pod component and waste your Dinasty's fortune in like 30 Power Armors or more for an elite troop to be sent in those.

I will yoink these to my OW game and shall make science to them ^_^

Have you though estimates about how big area (in square meters/kilometers) these bad boys take after deployment?

Looking at lvl 3. with it's airfield, workshop and accommodation size, it's friggin huge. :lol:

PS. Black Cells are, I take, meant to keep those captured psykers behind lock and key :huh:

8291615271_ff52c16b7b_z.jpg

More of less like this, but with an Airfield replacing the bottom-left structure.

i was thinking more like this

%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8F%E3%

but with bunkers and guns. :lol:

I like the idea overall, however I think I might increase the space for the larger two. A barracks component is 4 space and I usually allow those to hold 100 companies of troops (25k infantry at max) and their supplies for 6 months of operations. Maybe size 4 and 6. Also, I would reduce the Morale bonus to 0/1/2 based on the whole thing being packed up for transport. I would also state that the troops for the base would have to be carried seperately.

As a slightly related note, stasis cages work better for psykers. They are cheap (Rare) and psykers in stasis are safe to transport.

William, the only thing not packed is usually the Temple itself (and only for the first 2 lvls, not the entire cathedral is unpacked). The Barracks component is obviously "unpacked".

Also, the packed component comes "unpopulated".

This is why it takes that space in my calculus.

What do you think?

I think that the smallest one is well ballanced. I could definitely see my players putting this on one of their auxiliary ships.

The second one seems a little too good, as it provides 2 Morale and 250 AP for 1 Power and 2 Space. That is better than any other combination of equipment I can think of. It is basically a packed up Barracks component on top of an Auto-Temple. I think I would allow it if it took One power and Four space.

The highest one is very unballanced. It not only provides 150% of the normal Auto-Temple Morale bonus, it provides 250 SP more than an Auto-Temple and is easier to fit on a ship than a Barracks component (less power). While a Barracks component is 'unpacked', it also provides a lot less AP. It is the equivalent of at least two packed up Barracks components, a packed up flight bay, and one and a half Auto-Temples. I think I would require Two power and 6 Space.

I really like the idea, and I imagine that my players will be more than willing to give up the extra space. I can see them outfitting a ship with Hold Landing Bay (for dropships), IG Forward Base, and a Barracks component. Such a ship would be used to set up the defensive hold of a new colony, or start 'sanitizing' a primitive xeno presence from a certain ruin covered world they are interested in. The AP bonus from such a ship for military operations would make it well worth it for them.

I think that the smallest one is well ballanced. I could definitely see my players putting this on one of their auxiliary ships.

The second one seems a little too good, as it provides 2 Morale and 250 AP for 1 Power and 2 Space. That is better than any other combination of equipment I can think of. It is basically a packed up Barracks component on top of an Auto-Temple. I think I would allow it if it took One power and Four space.

The highest one is very unballanced. It not only provides 150% of the normal Auto-Temple Morale bonus, it provides 250 SP more than an Auto-Temple and is easier to fit on a ship than a Barracks component (less power). While a Barracks component is 'unpacked', it also provides a lot less AP. It is the equivalent of at least two packed up Barracks components, a packed up flight bay, and one and a half Auto-Temples. I think I would require Two power and 6 Space.

I really like the idea, and I imagine that my players will be more than willing to give up the extra space. I can see them outfitting a ship with Hold Landing Bay (for dropships), IG Forward Base, and a Barracks component. Such a ship would be used to set up the defensive hold of a new colony, or start 'sanitizing' a primitive xeno presence from a certain ruin covered world they are interested in. The AP bonus from such a ship for military operations would make it well worth it for them.

I took out the Morale bonuses for lvl 2 & 3. The stuff there would be too large in order for them to be capable of being unpacked whilst inside the ship / and even it I was to increase space, due to their size they would still take too long to be packed back into the format needed for the orbital drop (not viable, possibly15-30 days would be needed to deploy in that case).

You could always have a seperate Auto-Temple if you wanted the Morale bonus, and it would be just as deployable.