Just checking in!

By zreef, in CoC General Discussion

Hey everyone! I am new to CoC, just been playing around with the core set with my wife at home. We are looking to try to grow a mini community in our area.

We picked up a 2nd core set and two sets of Secrets of Arkham to expand out into the deck building aspect of the game.

We are going to pick up venice next and keep an eye out for a cheap 3rd core. At that point we will probably branch out into the APs.

Are there any guides out there in terms of deck building (or pre-constructed decks) just using 3 cores (or 3 cores + SoA and/or Venice)? I have plenty of deck building experience, but this is my wife's first go at a card game.

There are a couple of articles in News from the month of October that you might find useful.

Also, Seekers of Knowledge and Key and the Gate offer a couple of deck suggestions that you can make with mostly just core sets and the deluxe expansions themselves. There might be a few cards listed that aren't in the core set, but you can see the basic idea the deck is trying to use and modify it based on the cards you do have.

Thanks for the tips, I have actually read through those articles that were posted in the news, but that was more geared toward what to buy next as opposed to what decks to make out of the "classic" starting points (well classic as best I can tell from my limited reading of the forums and blogs).

zreef,

Someone asked a similar question over at CardGameDB not long ago, though they only had 2 Core sets and 1 Secrets of Arkham.

You may find the links in this thread useful.

I actually prefer CardGameDB to here. There are some excellent and friendly players who post there, and it sees more activity. I would recommend posting your questions on that site as you'll receive more answers. Plus the search/card link function makes it easier to know what all the cards other people are referencing actually do. It was recently purchased by FFG so it's quasi-official, if that's important.

And with all that out of the way - welcome to Call of Cthulhu! What area are you starting up a mini community? If you're in the Pacific NW and want to play, let me know. We have a pretty robust (yet mellow) CoC gaming group in Portland.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check out CardGameDB as well!

I am located in western NY, specifically the Buffalo area. So unfortunately very far away!

Hi there zreef,

As Yipe said there is a lot of info over on Cardgamedb. As I have only been playing around April and have been doing fairly well at the game, if you have any questions about deck building or if you want to get into competitive play feel free to ask me anything.

thanks for all of the support! We are slowly moving on to deck construction. Cardgamedb is a great resource, I have been enjoying all the informative posts and articles there.