Worlds 2013 Melee Finals [Controversy?]

By -Istaril, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Yeah I think Bruno and others at my table would attest that had I not marched Erick's Tywin, then killed his cersei and littlefinger in R2, erick would have walked away with our table quite easily. He had 8 or 9 power after R1. But there's just something about evoking Erick's rage that I can't quite get enough of. It's the same feeling I imagine God gets when he gives sight to the blind :)

If Bruno followed the example of Dennis, Ire, and others, why wouldn't he have just burnt down all of Ryan's characters with his two Feasts? Ryan would have had only Asha and Bruno would have had another turn. Did Kyle have a way to get to 15 power with just Drogon left? I'm chalking it up to oversight, but still, it's just on par for me for what seems to happen in a lot of melee games, where the winner is decided by someone noobing it up or making a questionable call. I think Chad and Kyle had both given up by that point, because they should have called him on it. "Dude, why are you burning my Mel when Ryan's gonna walk away with it this turn?!"

"Kingmaking," in my opinion, is the same as throwing a game if it is for a meta-mate.

Edit: Just read Bruno's post, and it all makes sense, and was indeed oversight. I still think Chad and Kyle should have called him on it. lol. Oh, melee.

Edited by Danigral

This all proves how important init is. If bruno wins it that turn, he takes the game easily. I felt fortunate to go directly after kyle.

Edited by RyanSD

also, danigral, i would have kept tarle with w2 power since he had an attachment.

also, danigral, i would have kept tarle with w2 power since he had an attachment.

Ah, thanks I was missing something, so that means you would have gotten to 13-14 depending on if the challenges were unopposed by Kyle and Chad (and if they had characters remaining on the board, they probably would have been opposed). This means that Chad and Kyle, simply by defending to you, would face then face the choice of giving you the game or giving it to Bruno. This is just an example to me of how these situations tend to work at high-level melee games. Please don't construe it as anything other than hypothetical exercise. You had a good deck, a good strategy, and played a good game, and it ended up working out for you!

If there is clearly going to be a winner in the current round among more than 1 player during a melee game, AND you can control who it will be, then I will of course help a friend over anyone else. I haven't watched the game yet to see if that was going to be true for that round, but to my understanding, if it wasn't going to be Ryan Jones, it was going to be someone else.

.... but to my understanding, if it wasn't going to be Ryan Jones, it was going to be someone else.

Get out of here! You don't say!? Really?! You mean if Ryan didn't win then someone ELSE would have won?!?! I don't believe that for a second!

.... but to my understanding, if it wasn't going to be Ryan Jones, it was going to be someone else.

Get out of here! You don't say!? Really?! You mean if Ryan didn't win then someone ELSE would have won?!?! I don't believe that for a second!

You're dumb sometimes.

Sometimes?

I always saw melee as some sort of lottery anyway. It shouldn't be player seriously as far as competition is concerned.

Many Joust players say that, but it's false. How do you explain the fact that the same players make it to top over and over? It just wouldn't happen in a lottery. Just face the fact that Melee requires different skills than Joust and stop whining about the randomness of Melee.

Off-topic but slightly related: I'd like to see the full rankings for Joust and Melee (Overall as well, but I can calculate from the other 2).

Edited by Khudzlin

Off-topic but slightly related: I'd like to see the full rankings for Joust and Melee (Overall as well, but I can calculate from the other 2).

A thousand times this. I hope they'll release them, but I don't hold my breath. We got almost nothing in the way of results after Gencon, IIRC.

Nate told me that they would release the final overall standings for each format. I'm not going to get nervous about that not being true for a few more days yet.

Good. Knowing they will come out is enough... for now :D

I always saw melee as some sort of lottery anyway. It shouldn't be player seriously as far as competition is concerned.

Many Joust players say that, but it's false. How do you explain the fact that the same players make it to top over and over? It just wouldn't happen in a lottery. Just face the fact that Melee requires different skills than Joust and stop whining about the randomness of Melee.

Just reiterating what I've heard for overall:

1) Ryan (1st Melee, 7th Joust)

2) Chad (3rd Melee, 4th Joust)

3) Bruno (2nd Melee, 6th Joust)

The final melee table literally decided the overall champion. Whoever won that table won it all. Pretty cool.

I was saying that some players consistently make it to top in Melee, regardless of how well they do in Joust. This is what makes Melee something totally different from a lottery.

There is no doubt that Ryan, Chad and Bruno did well at both formats and they certainly deserve top overall rankings.