Flamer ranges

By Oden, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Quick question. A flamer have range 20, so far so good, but can you use them at long range and extreme range too? It just seems like the 40k flamers go by hollywood standard ranges where they use gas for safety whereas a real flamer goes well into 60-80 meters.

Now since there is no BS test the -30 penalty to hit don't fit, but could be turned to a +30 Bonus to those avoiding the flames. What about Marksman talents? Anyone done something similar?

Also i have been looking but cant seem to find any rules about lighting up stuff around you or fire hazards so i'm guessing that's all up to the gm?

The range given is indeed the maximum range the weapon can be used in.

Well, I think that the "real flamers" you're talking about are actually _heavy flamers_, flamethrowers. A basic flamer in 40K is a rifle-sized weapon. The heavy flamer is the equivalent to the flamethrower.

While we're at it, why do the heavy flamer damages in BC and OW differ so much?

Edited by bogi_khaosa

Not only the damage is different. The BC variant weighs 20 Kg while the OW variant lugs around at 45 Kg even as it does three less damage. Guess those Hereteks know how to purify and cleanse better than the poor Empire Priests.

Not only the damage is different. The BC variant weighs 20 Kg while the OW variant lugs around at 45 Kg even as it does three less damage. Guess those Hereteks know how to purify and cleanse better than the poor Empire Priests.

It's amazing what just a bit of warpfire can do, I guess :P