Toying the idea of trying some singles decks...

By SolennelBern, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

Just got back into the game after late starting playing Magic and playing lots of Netrunner.

WotC just released new Commander decks that look really cool and fun to play. For those that don't know much about those, they're 100-card decks with only singles. I love this idea!

Netrunner did a similar thing with The Professor identity where each first program of a type cost no Influence. Which means that a Professor deck have lots of singles. I play one and love the style and gameplay options it provide.

So now i'm starting to think about implementing this kind of deck in WH:I and I think it would be really interesting. Maybe not "tournament powerful" but for casual/friendly games I think it could be really cool to try those.

Any of you already tried it?
How does it played?
Was it fun?
Boring?
Underpowered?
Overpowered?

Since I just came back I only have 1 core set but plan to get a few cycles plus most deluxe expansions so i'll have enough cards to try this!

Hey there,

we had a tournament with rules like this in Bremen (Germany).

We just used normal rules (and restriction/banned lists), except for that there is just 1 copy of each card per deck.

I really LOVED that. Even preferred that over normal rules for a while, cause you'll see a lot of cards you normally don't and the game really feels different. Of course it's not really something you should do on "competitive tournaments", because it's more luck involved (who draws the strong cards...), I'd say.

But it's really something I recommend to everybody try out.

I'm not sure if the balance between the races is as good as in normal play. Some fractions seem to have more cards of the same "theme", which seems to be an advantage. On the other hand I had some surprising achievements with high elves that I believed to be one of the weaker factions in that format (which we called "highlander format" - thought it was called so in Magic too...).

Edited by Gnomeschool

WotC just released new Commander decks that look really cool and fun to play. For those that don't know much about those, they're 100-card decks with only singles. I love this idea!

Sounds like 'Highlander' decks :)

Never tried them in W:I but should have the same effect...fun.