Card pool

By zarius, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

There is a big card pool in the game. I know some people who will like to start playing AGoT but due to the money investment, they don't.

Is there any kind of card limit expected for future tourneys? (last expansions like other games,...)

I haven't heard of anything like a rotation. As someone who has played since the beginning, I wouldn't be opposed to it, as long as there was always also a variant in which the entire card pool could be used. If major tournaments shifted to a rotation model exclusively, I would be really bummed out.

To get 3x of every card in the game, it costs less than $1,000, which happens to be the cost of like two competitive decks in M:tG. So, it's not that bad compared to CCGs.

Not only that, but you don't need 3x of every card. Just figure out what you want for the deck you want to build, and get those cards. Then, you can slowly add more cards to your collection over time.

I explained this to them sWhiteboy, but they now is impossible to be competitive against people who has the entire pool to build decks.

Learning all of the cards and possible combos seems like a potential problem to me; even simple things can just blindside a newer player - 4th round at GenCon I pre-plotted M&M into RbD against someone who clearly had no idea that it was coming, and I was doing well, it wasnt like I was up against someone who had lost his previous games. I've seen a lot of new players despair when a duped TRV hits the table and they think its the most broken card ever, and a few weeks back one of our new guys was cursing my Black Cells as too formidable until I showed him Location destruction options that were available to his build. Granted, this can be overcome by metas working with their new players and teaching them, but for players who don't have an existing meta it seems like a bit of a challenge - after all, how many times have we seen a "help me beat my friend's XXXXX deck" on these forums from newer players?

I explained this to them sWhiteboy, but they now is impossible to be competitive against people who has the entire pool to build decks.

I'd actually argue the opposite. If you find a top tier deck you like, you can easily buy all the cards necesarry for it for a comparable price to MtG. Then if you want to buy more cards you can cherry pick the packs you want without ever having to go through the MtG booster/singles process. It's not the card hunt that MtG can be and it's not a huge leap to competent competitive play if you're already a good CCG player.

Having the entire card pool isn't all that great. There are lots of dead cards in Chapter Packs if you only play one house. I only play Stark and skip a lot of chapter packs and my deck doesn't suffer too badly for it.

Edited by mdc273

The competitive cardpool in thrones is only 350 cards or so. With 1 or 2 competitive cards getting added every other month or so. The problem is finding which cards are competitive, you can scrounge around on the blogs, but I just had dennis and the rest of dc tell me when I started playing.

In netrunner the competitive cardpool is like 80 cards or so.

In magic, for standard constructed tournaments, the competitive card pool changes as they rotate the blocks, and it costs a few hundred dollars to get what you need every rotation.

----

So play netrunner if it is a money issue, Play thrones if you want to make 1 upfront investment and then continuing yearly payments of 100 dollars. Play Magic if you want to spend 5000 dollars to be competitive and another 500 to 1000 per year to remain competitive. I sold my magic set about 10 years ago for a few thousand dollars. My thrones set will sell for like 400 someday.

The competitive cardpool in thrones is only 350 cards or so.

True. But they are spread out across nearly every chapter pack ever printed. So, to get those 350, you will by default still be buying almost the entire cardpool.

The competitive cardpool in thrones is only 350 cards or so.

True. But they are spread out across nearly every chapter pack ever printed. So, to get those 350, you will by default still be buying almost the entire cardpool.

I think this is mostly the case only if you are looking at ALL houses. If you are looking at a single house, the competitive card pool is probably significantly less.

People seem to like the draft format. Try that one.